Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Convince me of the benefits of a 1kw transducer

Re: Convince me of the benefits of a 1kw transducer

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Absolutely Chris - the point I was trying to get across though is that due to the physical size of the 1Kw transom mount it can be considerably more difficult trying to find enough good real estate on a transom. That coupled with the cost, your stated scope of operation and the likelihood of still having noise issues at speed regardless of the quality of water flow - personally I wouldn't (and haven't) bother. If you are looking at deeper work (150 - 200 plus) and the tilted element options either don't fit ( or you simply don't want big holes in your new rig) then go for it.
    I’d be interested to hear your thoughts, also Chris Tucker if he reads this, on how you would go about mounting transducers for best performance on these new stepped hulls. The steps are intentionally creating turbulence under the hull to increase performances of the hull but it must be a nightmare for transducer/sounder performance on anything above planing speeds.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but dont these bigger transducers run more elements for the 50khHz frequency than traditional transducers equating to much better definition / target separation - I think the TM260 has 7 elements from memory.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi Nagg

It is true that the 50khz has more elements.

In your original post you mention 60 to 100 meters of water. You would still use 200khz for that.

There is only one element for that in the TM 260 the same as the Totalscan and HDI.

The totalscan has a cone width of 22 degrees, HDI 12 degrees and TM 260 is 6 (i think)

The 22 degree whilst it will still work, sensitivity will be lost. The 6 degree will be most sensitive but very narrow. The HDI or traditional 50/200 is proven at these depths as pretty good all rounder.

Cheers Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I’d be interested to hear your thoughts, also Chris Tucker if he reads this, on how you would go about mounting transducers for best performance on these new stepped hulls. The steps are intentionally creating turbulence under the hull to increase performances of the hull but it must be a nightmare for transducer/sounder performance on anything above planing speeds.
    All stepped hull builds I had anything to do with (high performance RIB's) ran transducers through the hull - usually tilted element. They were typically installed just forward of the first hull step. Transom mounts have basically zero chance of working above displacement speed.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong - but dont these bigger transducers run more elements for the 50khHz frequency than traditional transducers equating to much better definition / target separation - I think the TM260 has 7 elements from memory.

Chris
    Yes they do.......but, 50KHz is more noise prone, has worse target separation to start with and simply won't see some targets. Is the 50 in the 1kW transducer going to give equal or better than the 200 on a good 600 watt install - unless you ran them side by side over the same country in the depths you talking about it would be hard to tell.