Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mariner

mariner

seeing a lot of boats advertised with mariner motors. As is usual on the internet of things, information is hard to come by. I saw mariner 60hp 4s for sale. Now i know its a merc, but is it the same as standard merc models or an inferior grade? And its not exactly the cheapest on the block either.

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: mariner

mate merc built mariner to fill a market need for cheaper options for people who didint want to pay as much, now if there dear as u say then i guess there not trying to help anyone with price anymore , i do know that ive hardly ever heard bad reports in fact mariners have been reliable.. spose the fact old ones for sale are still running means they go the distance.,, there not a cheap chinese quality engine, but im not sure with the newer ones how there built, but i havent heard too many bad things over the years,, and merc would be baggin there name if there mariners were crap...
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

No diff at all, what color do you prefer ? Phantom black or there was a couple of different shades of the Mariner Grey/Silver.

To the best of my knowledge it was a second brand so Brunswick Corp could have two dealers within a geographical catchment area and not two dealers of the same brand next door ( not quite next door but you get the drift ) to each other bastardizing the price.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    No diff at all, what color do you prefer ? Phantom black or there was a couple of different shades of the Mariner Grey/Silver.

To the best of my knowledge it was a second brand so Brunswick Corp could have two dealers within a geographical catchment area and not two dealers of the same brand next door ( not quite next door but you get the drift ) to each other bastardizing the price.
    yeah thats what i thought but wasnt sure,,, that mariner were a good merc, like tohy makes mercs now and there stil a merc but there cheaper, simple motors with no bells and whistles, similar to mariner, but in my knowledge still a good donk..

Ausfish Platinum Member

Weren't they a collaboration with Yamaha in the early days? When they first came out they were saying they were a Yamaha powerhead, Merc lower unit, something like that? It was a long time ago. I've owned a few in the smaller sizes, as good as anything you'll get.

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Weren't they a collaboration with Yamaha in the early days? When they first came out they were saying they were a Yamaha powerhead, Merc lower unit, something like that? It was a long time ago. I've owned a few in the smaller sizes, as good as anything you'll get.

i was lookin at a old mariner 20hp a few months ago and the dealer was saying ooo is it a merc or yammie build,, and i asked and he said yes yammie built em and merc buiilt em.. so i think theres some truth to that also..

Yes there were some Mariner models that were Yamaha powerheads. The twin Cyl screamers you could hear coming from miles away.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    Yes there were some Mariner models that were Yamaha powerheads. The twin Cyl screamers you could hear coming from miles away.

lol, like today people want the shifter on the handle etc etc and the mariner was as you said just a get out there engine,

Ausfish Silver Member

cheap but in my experience not badly built, to answer one of the posts origonal questions, unless anyone has owned em over the years and can say they were crap.. i never actually owned one im just going off what ive seen and been told about em..

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

I have a 20hp mariner, cant remember the build date of the motor but have had the motor for probably close to 15 years, it was bought second hand. No major issue with the motor in that time and it still runs hard now, 2 pull start and idles nicely. When I did need to buy a new prop was when I found all the parts were mercury/mariner.

It is the only mariner I have dealt with so can't really say a blanket statement that mariner are good, but from my experience with my motor, they are fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by up the creek View Post
    cheap but in my experience not badly built, to answer one of the posts origonal questions, unless anyone has owned em over the years and can say they were crap.. i never actually owned one im just going off what ive seen and been told about em..
    Thanks guys, but thats all i ever knew too. The hope was somebody would have more solid info. Like what is the performance and economy. Not necessarily the old stuff, but the newer generation.

Who makes them? Who copied who? Are not really all that relevant these days, especially if they work and work well.

Ausfish Silver Member

these days andy i have no idea who building half the motors out there with all the deals builders are doing with other manufactures, some people dont even know that some 2 stroke yammies were asembled in other countries they still think all yammies are japan built etc, so good luck with your reccearch lol,, someone on ausfish should know whos building mariner now etc. hopefully someone responds.

For all i know they still use carbies and drink like a fish.

Come on, must be someone from mercury who can set us straight on what they are and who they compete with.

They say if you repeat something 3 times, somewhere in the world you will get attention, so here goes.

MARINER ARE SHIT
    MARINER ARE SHIT
    MARINER ARE SHIT

That should send some marketing type into a frenzy, lol

Ausfish Silver Member

mate if a genuine mercury is cheaper... as u say the mariner are dear,, just get a mercury or tohy, but now u got me wondering as ive considered a mariner a few times, but i wont buy unless i know things like ur asking,, and lol u might get a email from a mariner dealer...after ur rant.. ha ha

For all i know they still use carbies and drink like a fish.

Come on, must be someone from mercury who can set us straight on what they are and who they compete with.

They say if you repeat something 3 times, somewhere in the world you will get attention, so here goes.

MARINER ARE SHIT
    MARINER ARE SHIT
    MARINER ARE SHIT

That should send some marketing type into a frenzy, lol