Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: mariner

Re: mariner

I don't quite get what you are getting in a bind about, the motors are the same, a Merc dealer will have parts to suit, or, are you expecting Mariner/Mercury to advertise that their motors are the same? This sort of thing has gone on for decades in the car industry, electronics and marine too, no one has a big sign saying "don't buy a (say) Holden VN Commodore, buy a Toyota Lexan instead, it's better! Badge engineering is certainly not new, manufacturers have been "in bed" with each other on and off for years, Suzuki and Evinrude for example, an on, then off relationship, others stayed together and continue to do so, like Tohatsu and Mercury.

Ausfish Silver Member

yeah its nothing new hey noelm,
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Unhappy Re: mariner

Mercury marketing gurus
    Very few sold in Australia these days. They are directly comparable to the equivalent Mercury model, they simply have a silver cowl and Mariner stickers instead of a black cowl and Mercury stickers. So a 150hp FourStroke Mariner is a 150hp FourStroke Mercury with a silver cowl. We will let you work out which one goes faster 😉

Marketing for Mariner is non existent in Australia as we have a single brand strategy in this market. That brand is Mercury. As mentioned we don't sell Mariner here except for one small dealer in Victoria for strategic reasons.

my response was:
    what you are saying is " we dont sell a lot so we dont do marketing so we dont sell a lot" Makes perfect economic sense.

the end
    gee, i really learned a lot

Mariner even had their own 80's 90-115hp tower of power(merc) engines!

Just grey Mercs all those the inline 3,4 and 6 cyls. Ultimately down the line some got a grey paint job on the earlier stuff and just a silver cowl on the later stuff.

BTW, Nothing comes even close to the crispy sound of a inline 6 doing its thing. Ate OMC's for breakfast.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    Just grey Mercs all those the inline 3,4 and 6 cyls. Ultimately down the line some got a grey paint job on the earlier stuff and just a silver cowl on the later stuff.

BTW, Nothing comes even close to the crispy sound of a inline 6 doing its thing. Ate OMC's for breakfast.

ooohhh yeah steeler bro, inline 6 or the tower of power i youtube em now and then and find different ones idling then gunning it out of the holeshot and yeah bro they sound wicked... merc dealer other day when i was talkin bout tower of powers other day said,, tower of shit..... yeah compared to new motors there old tech,, but they sounded good...... and went hard...

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    seeing a lot of boats advertised with mariner motors. As is usual on the internet of things, information is hard to come by. I saw mariner 60hp 4s for sale. Now i know its a merc, but is it the same as standard merc models or an inferior grade? And its not exactly the cheapest on the block either.

if they were old mariners on old boats most likely there older blokes who own them, as i said i read a reputable story about mariner in earlier years (at least 30) they were sold by merc as a cheaper motor to get sales out of blokes who maybe could not afford the best of the best (even if they were a merc with silver paint) for wateva reason unkown, and older guys with not much cash back in the day would have bought 1000s of em,, now if there new mariners on older boats most likely the older guys trust them now and even if there dearer these days, you kinda love a motor brand if it served you well,,and still buy them now even with all the choices.. those good old salts are loyal you know ha ha..

Ausfish Silver Member

annoying when u do a post then think of somethin else... im pretty sure mercury like yamaha wont discount or sell cheap there home built top of the line motors, as if we pay more there better, (not what i think neccesarily)..but mercury saw a gap in market for people who cant afford top price, and repainted there engines maybe changed a think or 2 here n there and bamm we have a mariner at a cheaper price to sell more engines which is what they want but not reducing there premium engine price,, or there name mercury...