Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I tried to show him how it's really done, on a beach, not a monitor .
    Don't you just rip their heads off, get saturated then crack the shits and storm back up the beach to camp for a beer? At least, that's my technique. Perfected it without youtube as well!

Ok i scrolled up for a reread only Digs and Cox made suggestions

Digs said to grind out the cracks unless u guys seen the job i donno i dont think the cracks can be fround out

Cox said to spray gelcoat on really thick i will give that a go but im ganna fall on my knees in tears if those cracks reappear

Stay tuned... i'll try find a cheap 2mm spray gun

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Too late now but as an alternate option, a boat wrap would have hidden all those cracks and made it look a million bucks

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app

for the life of me, i can't understand why you can't start one job on the boat and finish it properly, then move on to the next one!

Figure out exactly what you are dealing with first. You keep talking about undercoat. Gelcoat doesnt have undercoat. Are you sure it isn't paint?

If you're going to #### with reapplying gelcoat, prep a small patch of what you've already attacked then just brush some on. Then sand the shit out of it and see how it comes up. My local glass supplier will sell me a hundred ml or so of gelcoat, flowcoat etc in a small tin for about $15. This is the cheapest way to experiment.

Either way, stop attacking the hull with a hand held chainsaw! Ignore the outside totally. Finish the rest of the resto, use it and make sure it all works and is satisfactory. Then if you're still keen, have a go at the hull down the track.

so many little cracks , probably best to go the shock n awe grind but hopefully you can bog up good , should come back alright . the old boy said back in the day when spraypainting /panel beating , some workers that had rust holes were plugged with cigerettes butts and glassed over LOL

My error Gazza, at that stage i was thinking cracks here and there, you may very well have previously posted photos but you post sooooo much I don't go back too far as too busy. Cox76y post is the way you should have considered.

I tried a section with gelcoat we will see how it comes out it did fill the cracks... but i guess i will have to see if they reappear first outting, one paint brush layer was very thick i will spray it with pva in a few hours than sand it tomorrow see how it looksAttachment 121438Attachment 121439

Eric sick of your shit you are going on ignore i have explained why i cant move forward if u cant read it or dont wanna hear it not my problem

I cant pull money out of my ass if i could i would be rich

Edit: i cant finish the stringers i dont have $600 for supplies...

Forgot to add i had 1L of gelcoat and 1L of finish coat i applied the gelcoat to the hull in the last picture

What am i looking for once i sand the test area? To see the cracks or to just flatten the gelcoats paint brush marks?

It has a nice gloss look to it all though the finish coat said it was a semi gloss finish so will see..

got a color in mind ? if not how about haze grey same color as the warships cos its going to be a weapon when its finished.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Eric sick of your shit you are going on ignore i have explained why i cant move forward if u cant read it or dont wanna hear it not my problem

I cant pull money out of my ass if i could i would be rich

Edit: i cant finish the stringers i dont have $600 for supplies...

you seem to find the money you need for everything else!

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    got a color in mind ? if not how about haze grey same color as the warships cos its going to be a weapon when its finished.
    Hey Cat white top deck white bottom light gray sideslight as in enough to see the difference with the top white deck may run a red band 40-50mm below the gunwhale also looking to change the GW rubber to a white or beige

Would like the gray sides to follow onto the transom but unsure if to have a gray pod and swim platforms or white

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Forgot to add i had 1L of gelcoat and 1L of finish coat i applied the gelcoat to the hull in the last picture

What am i looking for once i sand the test area? To see the cracks or to just flatten the gelcoats paint brush marks?

It has a nice gloss look to it all though the finish coat said it was a semi gloss finish so will see..

If you cleaned the surface really well with some acetone and worked that brush really well you just need to get rid of the brush marks. Once they start to disappear go down in grit. I eventually get down to 2400 (that just about puts a polish on it)but you only need to get down to a reasonable surface as you may not have put it on evenly. I rarely try to get it done in a single pass, just don't have the skills. Once you get used to doing this you'll be surprised how far you'll get.

Thanks Dig i will fair what i've stripped and prep and coat the rest of the hull and do as u suggest

I have had a few people say the hull has been painted with auto paint as the pink under it is undercoat

Pretty surprised i applied the gelcoat test at 8pm tonight and checked it about 9:15pm it went off and was ready for pva but i may just put another coat on tomorrow so i have a bit of thickness to sand will see how it goes