Page 80 of 233 FirstFirst ... 30707172737475767778798081828384858687888990130180 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 3493

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

knew it was going to happen she held easy 500 litres now i just gotta let her dry out its not easy doing a rebuild out in the open, the whole cavity between stringers was full to the top

Gazza, did you forget to pull your bungs out? Like a reverse sinking?
    I store my tinny outdoors, covered with tarps, but always make sure it's tilted up a the front, water may fill it but surely it should also drain?
    Hope it' ok and drys out ok
    Cheers mate
    Muz

Hey Muz new stringers i have been holding off on drilling drainage holes untill the whole stringer is glassed in, i messed up

Recently purchased a new tarp and bought a 20x12 from oz trail tarps, awesome tarp probably the best quality tarp i have bought so far but 20 foot didnt cut it its all i had enough cash for i really needed a 26 foot long tarp boat is 19 foot, the 20 tarp came up short it stretched right boarder line on the transom and 2 foot short at the bow rail

Where it went wrong the tarp that was barely hanging over the transom had got wet the wet tarp had pulled back between tie down points and the water ran strait down the inside of the transom and filled the boat just really shit luck

I drilled the drainage holes and let all the water drain out took over 35mins to drain out thru 12mm holes

On the good side i know my glassed down stringers didnt snap under the weight of all that water bowing the hull and the cavity is water tight lol i am trying my best to see some positive to my f... up

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Doesn't look like any rain from the cyclone like predicted, but sure got some swell, piles of Kelp on the beach, swell huge, water filthy.

Im probably going to leave the boat and pod untill cooler weather, i can resume glassing the hull with epoxy but working in direct sun in summer beats the crap right out of ya i mean 1h 30mins glassing at 12-2pm in summer and im boarder line vomitting and end up with a huge migrane... not pulling out of the build no bloody way im enjoying it to much but i rather need to look after my self recently went to see the doc after having left chest pains under my arm and around to my lower brest section for 3 weeks

I want to work smarter not harder and beat my self up.. glassing in winter the days are shorter but i do it piss easy out there in pants and shirt or jump.. in summer wearing a short and shorts my clothes are litterally soaking dripping with sweat i donno how professionals can stand doing it thru the hotter months

The pod i cant do anything with last glassing session i dropped back to 10mls per litre i was told not to go below 12mls a litre so i feel i am pushing the boundries a bit trying to extend the resin from kicking off i just need more time to work with the resin

Sold my ER6N today sad day... moved the pod and had a good look at it all that rolling out i done with the metal roller done jack crap

One long and big air pocket along the edge kind of pissed as i spent so much time rolling all the air out

What would be causing it, the hot days possibly?

I am a bit pissed with my glassing weather its the stringers or pod i always seem to get air pockets as the resin is curing i just dont know why

Gazza, new person... if the POD isn't finished... It seems you are making harder work of the layers than you need to. My approach would be as follows1. prepare your csm by tearing it into strips - not cutting but tearing. you can do this any time. I like strips that are about 2-4 inches wide. have plenty prepared and available. 2. start on one side of the pod, pre wet the surface with resin, lay down csm layer 1.... then wet the next strip and lay down strip 2. Now add a bit more resin to strip 1 and then lay down strip 1/2. Now move forward and pre wet strip 3 the add csm 3. now pre wet 2 and also 1 again and add strips 1/3 and 2/2. At this time you have full thickness of strip 1 in quick time but still no rolling. Dont rush the rolling. Carry on and prewet strips 4 3 2. then add csm to these strips ie 4/1 3/2 2/3 and now get your metal roller and do some rolling on strip 1. just keep this process going. you can do large areas this way and never have urgencies of things getting away from you.

Regarding resin... i love 2 litre plastic milk bottles coz they can be reused over and over by cracking out theold resin. also you dont need to measure your resin very carefuly. just put some marks on th side and you can then pour in the resin, add mekp accordingly supa fast. also get a big bag of talkum powder. perfect rub your hands in and anything else to deal with the sticky hand syndrome.
    hope that helps

are you still struggling with wet and rain? Pour some methylated spirits aver the area. It will bod to the water and evaporate along with the water. Dry. Voilla. Hope that helps

Cheers Ocean, my biggest problem is the resin kicking off too quick in the heat realistically its kicking off 30-35mins into the session so maybe its down to me taking too long to get my 3 laminates down

When i started the pod we had a small week there where it was really cold weather sunny 16-18c before 9am and i was usually done by 9:30am i think one session slipped and i was still glassing at 10:15am just as the sun was about to hit the pod

Summer is over so it should be a lot easier to glass now just waiting for morning temps to be around 12c so i can glass and as the sun comes up over the mullberry tree and day warms up to 24c it will kick the resin off

It has been really hot weather and dry the past week i am hopping the stringers are wicking up any moisture and evaporating it glassing on stringers will likely start in another month or so i am tempted to do it soon but i really need to hold off due to that flood

Gazza, from memory you were using polyester resin for the pod, now the usual ratio is 10 mls MEKP per 1 kg of resin. As Oceanranger suggest get a container (never tried the milk container) and weigh out 1/2 kg and mark it off on the container. This will take 5mls, you can adjust according to weather conditions. You could mark other weights as well and work out your MEKP for each weight and use a marking pen and write it on the container against each mark. I think you'll find this will work for you.

Hey Dig do u know how much resin 1 litre weighs? I was told 12mls to 1 litre the shops sales guy said volume rather than weight

I've never checked volume against weight in resin. I have always gone by weight of resin which is what is usually stipulated, from memory all the different resins can vary in weight. I have a fairly cheap set of kitchen scales I use and always weigh my first batch and mark it off on the container.

Thanks Dig, im low on resin too so i may ask when i drop back into the shop about the weight, this could actually be my problem to little resin and to much mekp

Think i have used over 15L of resin on the pod so far

Gazza, does the resin you buy have any details on the label. I but from a local shop here that decants by the litre but they still attach a label and the ratio is mls of MEKP to kg of resin.

It does have a label but i cant remember what it says i think it was just the brand name and warnings