Page 49 of 233 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

My sleeping routine is cocked up again as u can see its now almost mid night... can someone advise how many bulkheads i need? stringers are around 4.5m 4.8m i know i need a bulkhead at the very front and one where my bilge area starts but is there a general rule for spacing? i may start these over the weekend if i can pick up another sheet of plywood, keep missing the fibreglass shop to call and order the epoxy hardener got the cash need to order it before i waste it on crap

Looks like no one knows or wants to comment thats cool i gotta thank everyone who has contributed with advice over the long journy of this build and thanks to those who pm'ed with advice i will wing it from here on or try my best

Ordered the hardener today but had to help my uncle with his car for the 4th day so couldnt pick up the plywood for bulkheads

How many were in it when you pulled it apart Gazza?

There was only one at the end of the cabin beds that ran from the hull up the sides past the gunnels and up to the cabin roof

There was one more across the front of the bilge thats it there were some flat fence pailing like pieces of wood spanning the outside stringers towards the rear

Its all a bit of a guess really i have never done it before cant say i have seen it done, if i were to put in say 1 bulk head every 1.2 meters that would equate to 4 bulkheads but i am unsure if u build a boat like a rock will it crack from being so strong? My small boat kind of flexes and moves when i hit swell and chop so not sure what to do

This is how it sits as of tonight guys sorry no better pics just went out to the boat for a look and took the phone have some wild ideas one is to make 2 times 49 litre kevla fuel tanks one on each side of the keel stringer and join the two i am in a excited and motivated state just no supplies and waking up at night so its a vurve ball i have to adapt too

Was planning on a single 50 litre or 2x 25 litre tote tanks because i can just buy them and throw them in the boat and be done with it but the diy kevla tank has been on my mind for the past 6 months i just havent mentioned it

My mate mentioned i should still build it as a offshore centre console, if i went with centre console it may see water later this year but i donno i really like the hard top im torn betwern ideas and actually putting the time into making those ideas happen are two things the hard top may be an aditional winter

Any how thats it for now you can see the right side stringer glued and filletted with fumed silica

If you have a picture of how it was before you started you should see how many and where the bulkheads were.

I would restore to the same. I wouldn’t make it any stiffer. It had that many bulkheads for a reason.

Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Thanks Shakey i can look back thru the thread to see the pics i still have a bunch on the laptop

I may have something interesting coming up but donno how it will pan out yet was going to work on it today since i cant do any gluing

Nothing to do today so decided to make another pod i wasn't quiet happy with the first coreflute design but i am very happy with this second design i made it from malimine chipboard now it has always been on my mind making a full glass pod no ply and laminating 3 layers each time but that was going to be way to much assing around so the plan is to set up a small vacuum infusion setup and layer 24 layers of cloth in one hit the only problem was i had it all figured out with a external lip around the pod but my stringers width doesn't allow this so the lip must be internal it is going to be tricky getting all the air leaks sorted when i cannot really see the inside of lip but that's how it will be

i knocked this together and i am going a head with this pod design 500mm set back will bring my boat to 6.25m including the tiny anchor roller 6.2m without

please no comments on the lawn lawn mower blade fell off mower completely lawn is growing wild cant fix mower Sanli crappy brand

Gazza , you have a splash well - why put a pod on it?

Do you think you will gain room?

It will not make the hull ride better.

Looks like a lot more work for zero gain to me, IMO.

Hey Iron thanks for the reply i want to bring this 1960's era boat into todays world and technology so i want to jazz it up a little and make it look more stylish i have always loved the look of outboard pods

I was just out in the shed taking some measurements and boy was i off, laminate plan was 100mm overlap on all sides and corners 24 layers of cloth that equates to corners as thick as 34mm holly jeberz the pannels were going to be 12mm thick the pods weight will be 48kg finished i know the engine wont fall off but heck im not even sure if its possible to even vacuum infuse a 34mm laminate!

The only thing time consuming will be cutting all the fibreglass cloth into sections the whole laminating all i have to do is mix 24kg of resin and hardener in a bucket with a drill drop in the feed line and it will wet out all the glass oike magic i hope

I'd ditch the pod, hang a motor on the transom you just finished and go fishing. If you go pod, you make a heap of work for yourself ripping out the old splashwell and redoing the transom cap. You're planning on teaching yourself to vacuume bag on the pod. I'd suggest thats the last place to start learning. Try some small flat parts first.

All that aside, pods are a black art. That hull was never designed for one. If a pod is a must, my personal opinion is that a full width waterline extension is probably the best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey Iron thanks for the reply i want to bring this 1960's era boat into todays world and technology so i want to jazz it up a little and make it look more stylish i have always loved the look of outboard pods
    Function over form Gaz

You're not an interior designer you're a bloke rebuilding a 60's fiberglass boat under a tarp in a back yard. Spend your limited time, money, motivation etc etc on getting the things done that need doing to get the boat back on the water. Glass the stringers, fix the transom cap, put a floor in, build a console, fix the trailer, pick and stick with an outboard Stop going on flights of fancy.

Matt

Im n9t to sure guys i have thought about putting the engine strait on the transom but once its on there i likely wont take it off due to how big and heavy and complicated it is to stuff around with it, yeah i do uave a splashwell i was going to leave that in place but modify it with a nice oval shape live bait tank but i'm fonding as i progress in the build my 'wants' are dropping off guys lease thing i want is to end up with a basic boat that is not my dream nor what i ambitioned at the beginning ots like i'm losing every modification i wanted to do at the cost of getting the job finished

The pod i would love and its something i have always wanted the plan was to vacuum infuse the pod than bolt it to the transom i have previously vacuum bagged but i have never vacuum infused i think i can do it so long as the cloth wets out i am just a little worried about getting the resin to all parts of the pod especially the corners before the resin goes off the resin has a gel time of 60mins but with no experience im a little unsure

Cost of making the pod needs to be taking into account everything from pump to cloths to hoses and valves will cost $450 i was going to save a few bucks from the cash for my trailer but i think i may just put all the coin into the trailer and get that sorted ummin and arhhing at the moment

Really want the pod guys

If you cant afford to just throw the money away Gazza, building the pod is not the place to start experimenting. Make a mold and lay it up the traditional way using vinylester.

That would work Scott but very labor intense which i am trying to avoid my schedual would be 15 layers of cloth i reckon i could only do 3 layers a day hand wet lay up it could become time consuming i was thinking if i spent the extra $150-$200 on vacuum infusion the whole labor figures would thrown out the window as it will all be one big sha bang 1 hour all over with being automated but i am reading more and more about vacuum infusion and it has a high failure rate for newbies

The hand lay up would be 100% success just take a long time to build

How many layers do u think one could realistic lay down each session using vinylester resin? I have never used it before if it is thick like my epoxy i would get down 1 layer before it gels whick would mean 15 days labor if the vinyl wets out like water on a tissue i could smash it out in a few days that i could realistically do and be happy with