Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Just helping my mum out this afternoon and i'll be back into glassing tonight

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Thought i would ask whats the best method of installing a bung?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Thought i would ask whats the best method of installing a bung?

More info needed, is it into your new transom? I just insulated my kill bin which meant I could do it before I glassed the insulation into place. I basically drilled a larger hole in the insulation, even the screw holes, then put the bung in and screws and then from the other side filled with bog made from resin snd Q Cell. Once all in place glassed all around the bung.
    Best advice is get a large bung and don't go for the cheapest, the ones with an O ring are definitely better than those with a washer.

I have 2 large white bungs from BCF just incase im out one weekend and i notice one missing or the pets chewed it i can go to any BCF even on a sunday Digs

Pics are from halfway through glassing i got that far stringer glassed and i got all the bulkheads glassed that are in the picture took me a whopping 3 hours!!!

I have been told its raining tomorrow so i will get back on it when the weather improvesAttachment 122393Attachment 122394

For the bung i'll drill a 25mm hole and use a epoxy resin glue mix to glue the bung in

Going to add some more tabbing tonight and finish off my glassing it should be all done tonight i only have to wait to drill my drain holes and floatation foam than my floor can go down a long with the fuel tank floor and bilge floor bloody cant wait!!!

Anyone know how many kilograms of floatation each of these 1000x1000x100mm boards will provide?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EPE-Clos...EAAOSw5JJe-pP6

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Anyone know how many kilograms of floatation each of these 1000x1000x100mm boards will provide?
    Flotation (kg) = mass of displaced water volume (kg) - weight of foam (kg)

Sea water weighs ~1026kg/m3 but I'd use fresh water density which is ~1000kg/m3. Weight of sheet is 1.8kg per the eBay listing.

So flotation (kg) = [(1x1x0.1)m3 x 1000kg/m3] - 1.8kg = 100kg - 1.8kg = 98.2kg flotation per sheet

Remember that you're only floating the submerged weight of the boat which is less than the on-land weight. Marine & Safety Tasmania put together a good guide:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/99f377rv56...Boats.pdf?dl=0

Thanks Morp i'll probably get about 2 square meters under my floor

My worry is in a capsized situation i cant swim not a great deal so with a turned over hull im hopping the hull will float lever and nit just with the bow up

Shit scared of becoming a meal for bruce

If you have a read of the doc that I linked, the most important place for foam is actually up under the gunwales and along the top of the transom. Putting all your foam under the floor will tend to make it want to flip and remain in a stable belly-up position. The higher the foam is, the more it'll resist flipping.

Think about it like playing with a boogie board in a pool. Try pushing it under the water with your feet and standing on it - it's going to want to shoot out sideways as it's unstable. If your feet are fixed to it when it shoots out sideways (as flotation foam in the floor of a boat is) then it's going to flip you upside down as it returns to the surface. Put that same boogie board at surface level though and rest your arms across it, and you're stable as.

Same thing with a boat. You want the flotation as high as you can get it to help it float level and the right way up. Putting it all in the floor will potentially keep it floating, but likely belly-up. Putting it up high will help it float level and stable.

Yeah i was planning on putting foam under the gunnels mostly at the rear and gluing it up in there

A little bit of air in my laminate just couldnt push it out i went back over it but cant get the air out

This is how she looks all stringers and bulkheads are all double layer glassed and where ever the cloth meets lengthwise its x4 layers

Next step? Clean that huge ass mess up.. the hull has crap everywhere half of its rubbish i may have to look at a council drop off as i have 1x10L 1x20L resin comtainers heaps of mixing cups with epoxy in them

Next stage after the clean out will be to drill all my drain holes in the stringers and bulkheads

Step after this will be adding the floation foam than the floor goes inAttachment 122406Attachment 122407Attachment 122408Attachment 122409

Contacted my local council they sent me to another region to dispose of all the epoxy related products think it is a free service i will have to confirm that

Totally forgot i needed to add in underfloor bracinf for the console and t-top i am thinking some 50x50mm timber lengths glued to the strings anyone got any thoughts on this?

Floor will be made from 15mm plywood overlapping my stringer joints going to waste a couple sheets in the process

I have 3 grinder cuts right thru the hull i need to repair externally can i use just chopped mat? Should i use cloth? I am thinking it needs to be a solid repair than sanded back with no filler

Its been raining so no work today or tomorrow its giving me a break

Back into it today guys seems more of my shit has gone m8ssing when i moved all of my $30 drill bits now all my lennox $35-$40 hole saws gone too not ...... happy jan

I had to buy a cheap nasty $7 hole saw kit i hope it works i picked up a length of 20mm pvc pipe for my drains i will be cutting and gluing them in today