Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

I was just sitting out in the boat looking around quietly thinking about the boat from where it was to where it is today, my work is rough but a lot of work has gone into it it has been my biggest project of my life man what a job

I just got my console out of the shed and done a drawing of how im going to make it higher so i can use a 9 inch fish finder gps i will likely velcro the fish finder onto the additional face plate i build onto the console

I may even fit a tablet on the side to run the mercury vessel view to hook up the engine

some of the new bar crusher hardtops getting around and other makes are appearing to have that frameless windscreen appearance , suppose its getting poplular but there is still a frame very slim though but must be strong enough , also the trend looks to be the windscreens are getting taller , maybe a glazier might be a option

Hey Cat im torn between do i do the hard top and postpone the maiden futher or do i go with a centre consol with a maiden soon than test the hard top build over winter?

Building the CC wont impact building the hard top later as they are two areas of the hull that done interfear with each other

I really want the hard top but i also really want to wet the boat within the next 4 months while its still warm weather

Things i have to do still is finish the floor, paint the floor, jack the hull off the trailer and gurni all that stinky barnicles off it will reek when i wet it again, sand the bottom and sides fill some holes from old fitting, fill chips than pai t the hull to seal it, wack in all my steering and cables

Amend the trailer screw ups and get it registered

Than im on the water

I was thinking of getting a spool gun for my welder and making a double seat like this one pictured out of 40x3mm aluminium tubing to stick a couple rotating reelxn comfy seats on i could always move it to the back of the boat if i do the hard top cabin

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I was thinking of getting a spool gun for my welder and making a double seat like this one pictured out of 40x3mm aluminium tubing to stick a couple rotating reelxn comfy seats on i could always move it to the back of the boat if i do the hard top cabin
    I would suggest a Tig would be easier, don’t you already have a welder for alloy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    I would suggest a Tig would be easier, don’t you already have a welder for alloy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey Shaun nah i sold the tig welder i still have my mig welder tho, trying to do some calculations on cost the ally will cost about $130 but i need to hire a hydraulic pipe bender from kennards that adds another $71 plus a couple bags of sand to pack inside the tube before bending it will still be financially far better off than buying 2 of those ready made ones they cost a fortune

I would build the double seat so a long life ice esky can slide under it

Smile Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Hey Shaun nah i sold the tig welder i still have my mig welder tho, trying to do some calculations on cost the ally will cost about $130 but i need to hire a hydraulic pipe bender from kennards that adds another $71 plus a couple bags of sand to pack inside the tube before bending it will still be financially far better off than buying 2 of those ready made ones they cost a fortune

I would build the double seat so a long life ice esky can slide under it
    Gazza just a suggestion but for the cost of half a dozen bends at a workshop which would cost less than hiring a bender and then you don't have the haseles. We would not bend that size in a hydraulic bender. Would use a tube bender and use annealed tube or you would have cracking issues or you need to anneal before bending.

Just take the pieces home and do your cutting, fitting and glue it up with the welder. You should have kept the TIG they are handy

Hey Brett i thought about annealing around 30cm long where the bend will be but thpught by using the sand it would hold a better full radius shape

I have a 2.5 inch lpg blow torch somewhere to do the annealing

The pipe bender from kennards is $71 for 4 hours, what would a shop charge to do 4 bends? Sounds like your in that kind of business Brett

Thought about it and thought about it again i want my two main helm seats to rotate 360 degrees so while im driving my cousins and mates can sit in the seats facing the rear while trolling and if we hook up to a marlin the fish can be faught from the seats

Since seat boxes are $400+ per seat box im going to knock up some plywood boxes just like my fibreglass pod and use the angle timber for the corners, the pod came out really well so the seat boxes should too

Just not sure what material to use and how thick to go on the laminate

I still have around 30 meters of 600gram woven roving, i have 7 meters of 450gram powder bound chopped mat left over

Can i build my seat boxes from 100% chop mat 8 layers thick about 10mm wall thickness on the seat boxes

Hey Brett i thought about annealing around 30cm long where the bend will be but thpught by using the sand it would hold a better full radius shape

I have a 2.5 inch lpg blow torch somewhere to do the annealing

The pipe bender from kennards is $71 for 4 hours, what would a shop charge to do 4 bends? Sounds like your in that kind of business Brett
    Gazza if you have the tube cut and give them the center of bends if they can't do them for you in 1/2 hour there is something wrong. Just make sure you buy annealed tube, it doesn't cost anymore.

Thanks Brett i could go seat post they are cheap and already made but its abit old school

Has anyone got advice on these seats? I may push the button on a pair next week its over $600 so i would like some input before i make that kind of wild purchase

Will they look dicky in a 18ft centre console?

My advice would be finish the important stuff first. Someone may have mentioned plan and prioritise. Once or twice.