Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Hey guys after painting the transom and the paint going rock hard after 3 hours it should have been tack free after 5 hours i put it down to the hot weather so it got me thinking and reading i am seeing post everywhere by the americans about construction adhesive also known as liquid nails used for gluing down stringers, has anyone here used it for boats before i think i might go this route due to the glue going off slowly much slower than the epoxy resin and no rsi mixing the talc into the resin

I have used all sorts of various brands of construction adhesive, and the really cheap stuff is only just OK, but the better brands (more expensive) are very good, and are really hard to break apart once set, it's not real good as a gap filler, but it's pretty good.

If you get the right epoxy glue Gazza the pot life is pretty lengthy. I use one from AA Fibreglass.
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"

gazza for anything I wanted max strength I used 2 part epoxy-E- glue. It stays workable for a long time and it will not let go, It's bloody expensive tho.

https://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index....index&cPath=49

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I have used all sorts of various brands of construction adhesive, and the really cheap stuff is only just OK, but the better brands (more expensive) are very good, and are really hard to break apart once set, it's not real good as a gap filler, but it's pretty good.
    Have u used the Selleys High Strength brand Noel? this is the one I'm looking at using

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    If you get the right epoxy glue Gazza the pot life is pretty lengthy. I use one from AA Fibreglass.
    AA was actually one of the shops i called first when i started the build as i have used them before they are just so bloody expensive i remember them quoting me like $20 per meter of double bias :O my resin mix is going warm after 15mins it takes me at lease 10mins to mix in the talc

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    gazza for anything I wanted max strength I used 2 part epoxy-E- glue. It stays workable for a long time and it will not let go, It's bloody expensive tho.

https://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index....index&cPath=49
    Brett that looks like really good glue they mention 30,40min pot life i like that but these are the guys i got my paint thru and it went super hard in next to no time in this weather i may still try it tho i wonder if its light or heavy mix? trying to judge how much i will get ofr my money as they go by weight and not litres

gazza it's light and goes a long way. Just take your time getting a nice gap free finish with the stringers. If you are filling gaps you will use more than you want. I laminated ply to build the engine beds and it was bloody hot and still had a good 30 min of use. I can tell you I did a test piece first to insure the bond was strong as engine beds cop a hammering and I broke the ply trying to break apart. Other parts of have glued with mixing epoxy and fillers and not even close to the strength of epoxy-e-glue. You do need to give it a good 24hr to harden before you start glassing. I purchase most of my materials from a slipway nearby and they put me on it.

Yeah thanks for the heads up on this type of glue Brett i am looking into it, i think i was going down the wrong road using my laminating resin and talc for a glue mix

i just found this stuff on ebay supposedly 1 hour working time which is crazy the amount of work i can get done in that time on one batch... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2kg-Epox...L~UK:rk:7:pf:0

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Yeah thanks for the heads up on this type of glue Brett i am looking into it, i think i was going down the wrong road using my laminating resin and talc for a glue mix

i just found this stuff on ebay supposedly 1 hour working time which is crazy the amount of work i can get done in that time on one batch... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2kg-Epox...L~UK:rk:7:pf:0
    gazza looks good and the price is great. I wonder what the viscosity is like. The epoxy-e is like a paste and doesn't run everywhere. The site said it is good for gap filling which makes me think it's also a paste.

These guys had a add on Google search a month or so ago when i was looking for resin https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Epoxy-Mo...cAAOSwKGpa4Z~p they are 10mins drive from me in Cartwright i think they were or Prestons i may pick some up to test

The AA stuff has a pot life of 4 - 6 hours by the label. Pricey but why take the chance - do it once mate
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"

Gazza,
    Are you adding the catalyst into the resin before you add the talc?? Ive been working with a shipwright for several months.. His talc (qcell n styrene) is already mixed(no catalyst). You get what you want and add the catalyst to it 1% on hot days n 2% when not so hot.I put my stringer in the boat, braced it with lengths of wood reaching from left side of the boat to right with a notch cut out for the stringer so that it slid over the top of the stringer. A few small pieces of wood hot glued to the floor of the boat will stop the bottom of the stringer sliding towards the centre of the boat. The brace on top will stop the top from falling. Then using a bog bag, you push the glue up under the stringer. I did the top side first and then after the glue went off I took all the bracing off the top and the bottom of the floor. I then pushed the glue up under the stringer from the other side using the bog bag and whilst it was still wet I applied my glass matt.

Hey Cox im using 5:1 epoxy resin not polyester i found it hard on the wrist trying to make more than 2 batches of glue (epoxy with talc) within 35mins 300grams of resin
    I plan on standing my stringers upside down in the boat than running glue in a thick line along the stringer than turning it right way up putting it into place than bracing by the top once supported than i will fillet the stringer let it all cure sand than glass let cure than move onto next stringer