Page 55 of 233 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465105155 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

20L of fumed silca and 12L of resin ordered thanks for putting me in the spring mood fellas feeling up to this one last task untill summer is over

I have asked this before but cant remember the replies, i am 50% done on the stringer gluing once that is finished what is the best way to mark the stringers to be cut down in height? They are all well and truely over size in height i dont wanna f... it up that is why im asking more opinions than my own will give me a greater idea on what approach to take

I measured and cut mine before I glued them in Gazza. I imagine your best bet would be to use a spirit level run across a piece of wood left to right. Sit it on top of your stringer. Do this in 3 or 4 spots along length of hull.measure how far below this piece of wood you want your floor. Say it's 30mm now mark your stringer 30mm below where each length of wood crosses it. Then with a straight edge, join the marks. Then cut out excess stringer..

Hey Cox The stringers are higher than the sides of the hull where the old floor met the chines so a little unsure, should i just add the 'gap' from the chine to the spirit level and mark it?

i suppose one way could be this. start from each side and determine your floor level. Mark and then transfer marks to nearest stringer. As you work from the sides toward the centre stringer, add a little whiska more height than before, not much and then you will have a floor that is slightly higher in the middle than at the sides but you wont be able to tell and all you will see is the water and fish blood drain away to the sides.

Yeah not to sure how i will tackle it still a few days away from doing that its been bucketting down in Sydney so cant even go out to the boat

Gazza,
    run a straight edge from one side to the other in say 4 positions.Place a level on top of the straight edge and make sure its level. This will contact the highest point of your stringer. Lets say, from the side it is approx 50mm higher than where you want your floor to sit. Then mark 50mm down the stringer where the straight edge sits.
    You could run a string line from bow to stern where you want your floor to be along the side of your boat so that you can see how much of the stringer you need to cut out. I think I also made it so my floor sloped from bow to stern so that any water ran into the bilge area however im not sure wether that would be vital as I doubt the boat sits level in the water. Hope this makes sense..

Thanks Cox That is great advice i will do it that way, wont be able to use the spirit level as my driveway is on a slope and sideways but it should work with a piece of timber to reach side to side

Supplies arrives today i will get stuck in when the weather improves

Guys was just cooking the dogs food on the stove getting ready to go set up the lights and start gluing when i over heard the news in the lounge room mention 'moisture in the air' i dont have a humidity meter but whats the weather man on about? I dont wanna .... the glue job

Hmm that video i posted of those 2 guys sussing out my small boat a few months ago the taller guy looked like one of the guys that sold me the big boat he actually looked like the guy the lived at the property where i picked the boat up from

What kind of protection can i get other than my purchase receipt? In case they try to repo my boat and say i stole it or even i made the receipt? I am in this build i donno maybe $8000 now and i have a ton of man hours in the rebuild i would be devistated if someone tried to say i stole the boat and i lose it

I still have the video of those two guys on the laptop but i took the youtube video down

It would be pretty rare for a private seller of a project boat to claim it was stolen after all this time, I guess in a really strange way, the posts in this forum are kind of proof that it's not stolen.

i looked back over the video over and over cant be exactly sure it was the bloke it has been over a year and peoples appearance change but it does look like the guy the guy who sold the boat didnt live at the property i picked the boat up from and there were 3 guys there at viewing and i think 4 when i picked it up

going to resume gluing in about an hour got the flu but i will still manage an hour or two hopping to have the two side stringers filleted and i'll reprep the main keel stringer for filleting again than it will be time to cut the stringers down

Just done some gluing and drew up a picture of my stringers this void is taking a hell of a lot of glue to fill its about 30mm wide and about the same in height there is no way of getting a roller down in there to wet out the cloth so i have chosen to fill the void with glue and radius the top seen it done this way by a usa custom boat manf on youtube i also think Cootacraft fills the void with glue too also seen on youtube

i used a toilet roll to do some fillet radius wish i had used that from the beginning my fillets came out 100 percent to perfection they look marvelous haha

absolutely chewing thru the 20 litres of fumed silica i bought, i went thru 7 cups of resin at 350mls which once mixed with fumed silica makes about 600mls of glue thing is the glue has a very wide non sagging mixture u can be off a little or a lot per each mix and it will not sag, i need a better mask tho i smelt the FS twice while mixing with the wind blowing it around like dust

Should be back on the horse tomorrow or friday the flu absolutely smashed me

Is a deck needed for structure in a CC? have seen quiet a lot of older tinnies with no decks just a full length floor

At this point i want to minimise the work load and be done need to see her sail before i put a ton more work hours into her

Hope its a good riding hull after going the CC route

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

put some time into her yesterday got all my stringers glued down and filleted in just the main keel stringer needs to be wiped with the scotch brite and some water to remove the amine blush than refilleted over the old 2 part epoxy adhesive that didnt hold position i than need to clean up one or two of the right stringers as i done a less than good gluing job was just a bit sloppy with the glue and not wiping off the excess was going to do that today but its been raining

i will upload some pics soon of the progress really happy with my filleting once i knew how to do it the process kind of went really quick as apposed to not knowing in the beginning, i had not done much gluing or filleting on the BMD boat so had to learn it

will be back on it hopefully next sunny day