Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

It was a bit of a storm, we got it about 3:30, blew a gale, freezing cold and rain, lucky I was working indoors today.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    It was a bit of a storm, we got it about 3:30, blew a gale, freezing cold and rain, lucky I was working indoors today.
    Yeah we copped it up here i have it on video wind was recorded at 115kph it totalled my shed it had pulled the sheets out of the rails never seen anything like it before i thought if the wind was ever going to do any damage to the shed it would have lifted it off the ground

In a frantic repair i had to push the walls back sort of than put another two flap locks on the doors

Its a big brand shed and i am not a fan by far the twin hinged door is the worse structual design ever i much prefer a single sliding door so the structual integrity of the shed is still together even with the door open

It was totally my fault that the shed failed how it did tho i allowed the doors to open thru a crappy idea on the locks that came with the shed the roof had lift 10mm at the front center which lift the roof off the lock than the doors blew open wind blew in and destroyed it

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Is that transom colour going to be the boat colour?

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    Is that transom colour going to be the boat colour?
    Likely yeah, im not a fan of grey hulls i have no idea why i bought the paint

Just 15mins after this video we were hit with the incredibly strong gust that blew out the shed

Hey guys i got bummed with that battery a week ago it fully charged once settled read 12.6v flashing 12.5v the next day it read 12.4v the following day it read 10.5v

I am considering buying a small battery just to start the engine for now do u think a 300cca NS40 battery will do?

Not sure whos pasture i took a shit on but the gods are not with me these past few days

Had the engine up on the home made lift block and tackle kept locking up eventuallty used up all the height had to pull the b@t cover off to release the lock than the chain fell off releasing the tension engine lowered went off center whole thing tuppled over ripped my finger open and nearly fainted for the first time in my life

Spent $120 on the stands and timber, it was $80 to hire a engine hoist

#### when do i stop making these mistakes im over it

Often the easy path (hire an engine hoist) seems like an expensive way, so we shag around for days trying to save $80, in the end, it costs more, takes days longer and ends up a bodgy job or you get injured.

It is hard to do things on a budget and I am sure all of us have done some something or other which in hindsight was short sighted and didn't work out and ended up costing more or just didn't work as expected, but there comes a point where you have to realize that taking the supposedly cheapest route ends up costing more in the long run, both in time, money and effort. The trick is to "not reinvent the wheel" as the saying goes. You have to pick your battles and shop around to see who will give you the best deal which will do the job and save you money at the same time.

Regarding the batteries, I don't even know what size motor you are trying to start up but as your boat is reasonably large I would say that you probably have a largish engine in which case that battery (300cca NS40) you were thinking of buying might start that motor, but it will probably overtax the amperage draw and that battery in the longer term will die a quick death and you will be forced to buy another one,....again! So get the right sized one to start off with and you won't have any more dramas. That then is one less thing you have to worry about. I generally try, if possible to get a larger one than I need.

Try the following link, they seem to be the cheapest, print it out and then go to the closest BCF or other store that sells batteries and see if they will beat it.

https://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/s...39/marine.html

Cheers
    Ed.

Cheers for the advice i just went and hired a hoist i guess the stressels worked to some degree they got my engine off the trailer so i could use the trailer to pick up a hoist, almost lost the boom on the way home someone has left the boom bolt/nut loose and i only seen it once i got home i msg the hire bloke and he said he will fix it hopefully not at my cost

About to go put this engine on the hull

My finger looks pretty pictyre doesnt show it in great degreeAttachment 122311

Two bolts in shes holding i bought 100mm bolts and the outboard mount holes plus my transom is 92mm thick so the bolts are only hanging on by 8mm Attachment 122312

Job well done Gazza.
    Glad you never hurt yourself again,,, looking good...

Col

Thanks Col finger bloody hurt went strait into the house washed it under the tap than asked me mum for a bandaid i thought i needed sugar at this point so had a quick sip than started dry heaving than i was boarder line about to pass out

I havent seen my flesh ripped open like that since a dog bite 31-32 years ago

I have never in my life felt like passing out over a cut spun me out

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Cheers for the advice i just went and hired a hoist i guess the stressels worked to some degree they got my engine off the trailer so i could use the trailer to pick up a hoist, almost lost the boom on the way home someone has left the boom bolt/nut loose and i only seen it once i got home i msg the hire bloke and he said he will fix it hopefully not at my cost

About to go put this engine on the hull

My finger looks pretty pictyre doesnt show it in great degreeAttachment 122311

That's going to hurt in a few days, being right on the nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    That's going to hurt in a few days, being right on the nail.
    The bit near the nail is stinging but the big flap piece is throbbing like crazy its about 1.5mm thick skin i think as my home made rig was tipping over my finger got caught between the sharp edge of the timber and the block and tackle