Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

electrickery help needed

Hi Guys, a bit of advice required.

About to embark on a re wire, I have two 6 gang switch panels up front, I will have some spare space on them for later additions.
    Now, the switch panels are fused, the product called for direct wiring from the battery, so I was going to run the cable from the battery, direct to a positive and negative bus bars, then from there a wire to each of the fused switch panels. The switches will be for all the lighting, deck wash, live bait tank etc
    As far as the other items, fusion radio, marine radio and fish finders, I don't want these running through a fused switch panel, Can I wire these items, again coming from the positive bus bar, through a fuse panel, then onto them from there ???? Hope I've explained that properly. As discussed here some time ago, it's a waste to have to switch power to them, they will loose power when the battery is switched off at the rear. I will be calculating the total loads of all outlets for the wire gauge coming from the battery, but someone was telling me, that a separate wire should be used from the battery for these items on a separate bus bar, which has totally confused the hell out of me, as I would have thought that if the wire coming up from the battery could handle the total amp load up front, I couldn't see the reasoning for an extra wire and it should be alright to branch of the bus bars, to 2 switch panels and a separate fuse box which the radios etc would run off.....
    Hope I've explained that properly, any advice great fully accepted...

Col

Re: electrickery help needed

Sounds ok. Good heavy mains connection to a distribution/fuse block or multiple distribution blocks if you need more circuits - I use these now but there are many variants - https://www.jaycar.com.au/12-way-fus...s-bar/p/SZ2032 . I would do away with the fuses on the switch panels - up to you though just a personal one of mine - If I am fitting fuse blocks I want all the fuses there. Every device gets it's own fuse. From the fuse block the wire goes either direct to the device ( I also typically remove any in line fuses in the leads so there is just one in the fuse block) or to the relevant switch and then to the device. No need for a separate line forward for non switched items provided the mains are up to the job.

Hi Scott, Thanks for that, I have the blue seas switch panels fitted, which has the fuses with easy access from the front, seems to be good quality units.
    I hear you on having all the fuses in one place, good idea, I see how that would have it's benefits, all in one place.
    I have 6 non switched accessories, radios, auto bilge switch, usb charger etc, anchor winch has it's own cable. I have fitted positive and negative bus bars ( blue seas) already in place, cable size has been worked out with total amp draw from all accessories and allowing for current loss over the distance. So, I was going to run the wire from the battery to these bus bars, then from there wire to each of the fused switch panels, so if I keep the switch panels fused, if I got a similar fused block, or even that one you linked, I could definitely just branch off the bus bars directly to the fuse block for these non switched accessories ??? the wire Gauge definitely covers all possible draw,, and then some....
    I've also probably gone with a bit overkill, regarding wire size to all my outlets to try and limit the need for different wire sizes, I figured a heavier gauge wouldn't hurt and saved on ordering 4-5 different types....
    I've had to learn some new skills on this rebuild, but I have to admit, electrickery has been the hardest one to get my head around...

Col

That will work fine Col. They are available without the negative block if you would rather take your negatives back to the existing negative block.

Thank you Scott, Very much appreciated.
    Hopefully the bulk of the work will get done over this Xmas break, but I'm in no hurry, just want to do it properly....

Cheers
    Col

Hi Blacklab,
    The only additional thing I would add to Scott's reply is having an in line water proof fuse for your main positive feed at the battery end ( I have a 30A ) . This would only be to protect the main cable in the event of a short before the fuses / buss.
    Frank

Hi Frank, Yep, got that sorted, I have a much bigger fuse than that, but that's all organised for that. I haven't received the main cable yet, but it's coming
    with a blue seas inline fuse. I'm going to get to the back of the boat once I've sorted up front, still considering one of those ACR units ( i think there called).
    just doing one section at a time,,,,, otherwise my head goes bang !! LOL

cheers
    Col

Im like u Col trying to work out the square area of a cable totally losses me i just go by what the shops says the amp rating is for that particular cable

U ideally only want a percentage margin on the battery fuse if u go to large of a fuse it may never burn out before a wild fire breaks out but im not an electrician so i donno what that safety margin would be, for me i would probably go 25% bigger than the max load

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Scott, actually went into a jaycar shop today, only 10 minutes from my factory, got the 10 blade fuse block.
    Was quite impressed with what they actually had, although there common bus bars were all plastic or brass I noticed.
    They were extremely helpful with what I was doing, offered up some great suggestions and basically have a range of goodies in there that I need for this re wire, including tinned wire, don't know what brand it is, but I'm picking its' probably OK.
    I find buying on line OK, when you know what you need, nothing like actually talking to someone face to face though. The guy was pretty old and seemed to know what he was talking about, gave me there 500 page catalogue to boot, already found some items I need in there.
    Probably end up getting a fair bit of my re wire goodies needed there, didn't know they existed !

Cheers

Col

Apart from all of above I've also moved to F type crimps, unfortunately jcar have a very limited available.

Just looked them up Dignity, had not heard of them before........

What is every ones view on soldering and crimping, seem to get views either way, with a lot saying the types of crimps and glue filled crimped joiners are ok as stand alone ??
    I know when I re wired my bonneville a few years back now, bought the loom complete, I was talked against soldering joins due to vibration and the fact if it's not done properly, it will cause more issues. I crimped only, all my wiring joins on the bike and has been going fine for a number of years, if anyone knows how much those British bikes vibrate, you'll understand what I mean.
    I was originally resigned to the fact I would have to solder on the boat, but am now questioning what would be best practice here ??
    I'm seeing all the new ( to me) splice join joiners, which are full of glue and have a solder activated by heat which looked impressive ( at jaycar ).
    there will be quite a few eye and spade heart shrink connectors going on with my re wire behind the dash with bus bars and switch panels, so I'd like to here every ones views on best practice here.....

Col

Col i have not used those melt and shrink joiners i first seen them on facebook as a add i thought they looked really good just what we needed on our market than seen them recently in jaycar

What ever u do dont use the crimp connectors from jaycar they are the worse connectors ever..

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Col, I have used those solder joints jcar sell and they do work but I have had them fail as well if too much heat is applied. They are useful if you have to do joins in really tight places and don't have enough cable to push some heat shrink to one side.

The way I solder is, grab some multistrand cable where the wires are really thin and strip a piece. Slip a piece of dual wall heat shrink (look around as jcar stuff has very little glue in it) over one cable, push the exposed ends of both cables together and use a piece of the fine multistrand to tie it all together very tightly then solder it, heat shrink it and voila.

The problem with most solder joints is that no matter how hard you twist it together as soon as you apply heat it will want to open up and you will use far more solder than needed and create resistance.

For terminations I know you can just strip the cable and wrap it around the screw fitting but I prefer the F Crimp (still need a little bit of heat shrink). The F Crimp is far superior to a cylindrical tube style crimp.
    PS RS components have a good range of F crimps.

Thanks Dignity, great info.......
    I was kinda looking at a few of the products from jcar, I think I can get better quality connectors elsewhere to be sure.
    Not rushing into anything here, just realised I lent my ratchet Crimpers out to a mate, that has now disappeared !!.
    So need to get another decent pair of them,,,, Come to think about it, I've been an easy touch for specific tools for a while now and it's kinda annoyed me that so called mates never return the damn things........
    For me, anything that requires a bit of brain matter, generally takes me a bit longer, I'm like a computer, the information needs to be punched in sometimes,,, especially this wiring caper. I guess as I'm doing it myself, I want to fully understand it as I do it, for obvious reasons, fault finding/fixing down the track should the need arise. But I'm up for this challenge !.
    Will get some down time over the break, where I want to get the bones of this done, I'm sure there will be some more questions for sure.

cheers
    Col

I have a pair you can borrow.
    I know what you mean about loans, can find my step drill bit and there's only a few people I loan to these days and they all claim they don't have it. I'll have to start writing it down.