Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Went on a big mission last night powered up the laptop went thru atlease 1500 pics of this boat rebuild i deleted 1087 pictures all of bad shots, first transom rebuild that are now irrelivent, bad night time pictures, and just all the crappy angle pics

I still have probably 30 days worth of files from mostly days showing good progress so once this boat is on the water i'll be a new thread of the build from day one thru to the day it floats again and hopefully a video at the end

Here we go another video 8mins long this is a decent video lots of pictures i hadlong forgotten about or have never seen or remember seeing, video isonly 120mb

Got more supplies today guys im ganna jump in soon and start glassing the underside of my floors

I tried using up the last of my old cloth its the underside so stitching it together shouldnt really matter

Surprising how a shop can have two cloths to this degree one is soft, shaggy, easily stretches, the other is tightly stitched does not stretch at all both look like chalk and cheese

Those dark spots on the plywood is not mould its just dark grain in the timber high lighted by the acetone when i wiped it down than glassed over it

You'll probably find that the cloth falling apart has been exposed to high humidity and the adhesive used to keep it together is letting go.

Hey Dig my cloths are stored in the lounge room in cardboard tubes this cloth was actually like this when it arrived i have also thought this soft stuff might infact be there 300g cloth the 400g stuff that arrived today definatly feels a lot more structual like cloth, the stuff on the right is very frail and feels light to touch, the stuff on the left fellsmuch more like a well produced cloth tightly weeved very well stitched these two cloths from the same place are like night and day

To add the very top cuts in that picture of the cloths is off the roll i never removed or cut any cloth off those ends

I actually think its 300g and 400g cloths

The light stuff on the right u could glass a perfect shape over the top of a coke bottle its that soft and delicate

The cloth on tge right absolute not a chance conforming to a coke bottle its to tightly weeved and thick

I'll be back into it this afternoon its currently 31c at 6:50pm just waiting untill the sun ducks down

Im pretty limited on space almost all my work has to be confined inside the hull asi dont have a patio or pergola somewhere dry to work so its a bit of a shuffle inside the hull

Any idea on what screws i will need to screw the floor down? There was a guy on facebook a week ago he said he used treated pine coated screws but im thinking i will need stainless steel? Can anyone advise thanks

Galvanised screws Gazza, then fibre glass over.... Stainless doesn't like resin....
    That was the advice given by a mate that owns a fibre glass business himself, he was asked only a week or so ago as he posted a progress photo of his own rebuild.

Col

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I'll be back into it this afternoon its currently 31c at 6:50pm just waiting untill the sun ducks down
    That's because it's actually only 5:50pm....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks Col

TRPM Sydney time here we have daylight savings lol

Just got the other main floor piece glassed it was nice to be back in a air conditioned room

Another question i am really shitting my self about glassing the whole floor 2 layers thick all in one go that is an absolute mamoth job, is there any other way of doing half one day and the other half another day? Or should it all be done in one big hoorah?

I just went through all my receipts and all my ebay purchases and afterpay purchases im still missing a few receipts for stuff like my disc hubs, plywood, tons of mixing cups, sand papers sanding discs, grinder disc and flap disc, bottles and bottles on top of bottles of acetone, paint brushes etc.. im missing about $1000 in receipts

My boat came to $4619.20 to date

All up im in it as pictured B/M/T total plus the missing $1000 receipts

I have receipts for 44.4 sq meters of 400g double bias i used 4 meters of 900g double bias, i've purchased 96 litres of epoxy i still have 6-7L

That’s pretty cheap Gazza and I like your video

Thanks Paul i thought i wouldhave done it all for 8k but im yet to blow out the budget on fitting out the boat