Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Call around to a bigger boat shop, they will have dozens of them laying around they will sell cheap, most decent bolt places will have them too.

Can't you just drag the motor out of the trailer on a timber ramp setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    exactly
    stand engine up on a piece of wood on its skeg to raise it a bit
    lift trailer drawbar up as high as you can and its done

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Remember back to when i tried lifting the bare powerhead i ended up in excruitiating pain at the emergency department

If this were a 4 cylinder johnson evinrude 90-140hp i could probably rig something up like that

But those 2 strokes only weighed about 130kgs this mercury still has 5L of oil in it plus the engine weighs 182kg + 5kg it still has the cowling on it too so i need to he super careful of how i go about lifting or draging it

I am open to possibilties tho on how i could move it without a hoist

That old 1960's rusted to the shitter block and tackle my cousin dropped off actually still works so if i can get some ideas on how to use it and possibly lift the engine would save a bit of cash

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

I had a thought of buying two second hand ladders and a big piece of 200x50mm pine to bridge the ladders

My current ladder can hold my 95kg so 2 ladders should be able to hold my engine

I don't like the idea of 2 old ladders and some pine Gazza.........Not stable enough.

Col

The two ladders will probably be OK on firm ground or even better, concrete, you can't get one end of your timber on something solid other than a ladder can you? like on a window on the house or similar, then use a decent ladder or made up gizmo for the other end..

I tried looking for a couple ladders rated to 150kg each but i have just stumbled across a set of tressels designed for holding up a couple blokes gyp rocking and painting etc

You see those foldable trestles for sale all the time.

Yeah i just picked up a couple tresseles going to run a timber beam from one side to the other than hang the block and tackle off the timber

The tresseles sounded like a better idea they are steel where as the ladders are only aluminium

If all works out im hopping to have the engine on the boat tomorrowlate afternoon

Surely you have a couple of burly neighbours you could call on for 20 minutes to help put the motor on. After get out a box of beer for them and have a chin wag about your project. Who knows what you will find out.

Get to meet the neighbours and cost of putting motor one boat = 1 box of beer. Job Done

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Shakey i only like asking one of my cousins for help but he has been hard to get a hold of lately and he goes to tafe plus has kids to look after every other job is a do it your self thing

I wad just out there really struggling to get the engine off my motor bike trailer the engine is now lifted in the air hanging and im stranded its pissing down the gearbox is still on the trailer i was just trying to wiggle that last bit off before it rained

Short video coming of how i set up the whole lifting rig

I hope it dont fall over in the soggy grass but not much i can do at this stage

Struth 1 hour to upload 250mb video of boat, 2 hours to upload 385mb video of willie wag tail.. everyone must be hammering the vodafone internet this afternoon

Forgot i took pics transom still needs boggin so u may see minor imperfections

The leg of the engine is right on the end of the trailer now but as mentioned its pissing downAttachment 122303Attachment 122304Attachment 122305

I had lift the leg off the trailer supported by two plastic fuel tanks the powerhead was off the trailer supported by the home made hoist i rolled the trailer out lift the gearbox up and removed the fuel tanks

Moved around and started to loeer the block and tackle i didnt pay attention the gearbox was kicked out of the center line started lowering the engine and the whole thing fell over on my head and shoulder engine softly fell from 1 foot off the ground i am hopping the cowling is ok but i took most of the force

Engine is now on the ground, kind of pissed i have asked my cousin 4 times to borrow hes car engine hoist

The big storm that hit me about an hour ago blew my shed doors open than blew out the walls on my brand new $430 garden shed what more can happen today... ffs not a good day

Ok wiping this day clean right at this line

Tomorrow if its not pissing down i'll set up the home made lift thingy majig contemplating putting some 200cm timber under the legs of the stressels than tieing them down with tie downs to anchor points to give some stability

The 90x90mm 3 meters pergola post has held the 187kg engine weigh plus the block and tackle so about 200kg+ its dried timber and raining now so i hope it retains its strength

No rain tomorrow the engine will be hoisted up than the boats trailer will be winched back by the come along to the plumb tree carefully steering it to center the outboard where she will be bolted on and it will be a hoorah