Page 32 of 233 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940414282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

i guarantee all those old hulls had normal ply in them, everything's built to a price
    even seen Masonite used

your over thinking everything

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I think talc is pretty harmless, unless you get it in big doses I guess
    Yeah they say talc contains asbestos but baby powder has no asbestos if i can find baby powder in bulk i might use that, my nasal problem could even be related to all the sanding of the transom and the epoxy resin, my resin has warnings so its not safe like West Systems

i have been using a bunnings 3M mask for dust particles and paint fumes

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    i guarantee all those old hulls had normal ply in them, everything's built to a price
    even seen Masonite used

your over thinking everything
    The left over stringer wood is actual timber so the boat has never been rebuilt since 1973

go find another doctor if you think somethings not right, all dusts can cause respiratory issues.
    you ll drive 7 hours for a outboard drive a hour to another doctor who bulk bills

most old and not so old boat manufacturers used any old ply as water intrusion wasnt high on the list of concerns
    its a core for vibration dampening, cheaper then a solid core of glass and cloth and something to form the glass over

i dont know how many haines and cruisecrafts died from the stupid ally strip they used to put over the transom where the outboard sat

Plenty of "ledgendary" boats were poorly constructed, unfortunately they become famous because of a few wild internet stories and the shit Masonite floors and rubbish firewood used in construction just gets brushed aside and ignored.

Sounds like the old timers done it hard for supplies a mate has mentioned before old fighter planes were turned into aluminium boats but i don't know if that is true or just a story

another one of the shops i contacted just got back to me and said they could do the job no price was quoted but i do appreciate them replying to my email

when i cut the left over vertical wall of the stringers yesterday i noticed the hull went really soft around this area i really need to be careful of glassing in any probems... although the hull is around 10 to 12mm thick it still moves when i walk on it

That's pretty normal with no bracing stringers, it's why you have to be careful to get everything straight before you glass them in, probably do the keel first, get it the height you want your floor, then the two outside ones, making them all level, don't know how many there is, but probably one each side between the keel and side ones? just do them in matching side pairs.

Ok thanks Noel, There are 7 stringers including the keel i was thinking of leaving the most outside ones in tact untill i have all the other stringers glued in just so those small 4cm high stringers can keep the chines strait what do u think?

its why you build a cradle before cutting anything out even four bunks is better then nothing

Steve do u know of a bolt on bunk mount design? i dont want to buy any pre made mounts for bunks because i wont be using them and they wont fit the alloy trailer

Just checked my keel and two rollers at the transom are supporting the hull the hull doesnt even touch my side bunks

Not for a big boat like that. I have made bunks before for tibnys with hardwood and nylon skids using stuff from boat chandlery places

Won’t suit your purpose
    Boat should have been put in a timber frame before cutting

gazza,
    Any chance you can find someone nearby with the same boat so that you can make a cradle off there hull?? without it i think you will struggle to get the original shape, seeing all the stringers have been cut out. If not , i would make my own cradles and take the boat off the trailer and sit it in the cradles with planks of wood running between the cradles underneath the floor of your boat where the stringers will be. As long as the cradles are identical right to left it should work..Big job though..i think 4 cradles along the length of the boat would be ideal.

I cant take the boat off the trailer because i could be moving house so it has to be done on the trailer i can run a couple bunks up under the hull but there isnt much room with the strakes and i only have around 120mm in height to work with

Found a stand it measures 3x1 meter do u think to small for my boat? My boat is 2.07m wide