Page 52 of 233 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

If you don’t get the pod right you also risk the powerhead getting dunked which is common as well with non flotation pods

You are going to put a a extra 100 kilos half to 1m back from its origional location even Stevie wonder can see this will have consequences

I know you want to have a flash boat but lipstick on a pig is all it will be if you go a pod

People don’t have to own boats to not have have experienced things as many people ave been deckies on such vessels

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Shakey thanks, i found that link last night i think it may have been member Love80 that previously posted it but i got a little lost reading it i will have another read after i get some sleep

I can put my fuel tank up the front as i have not designed that yet it may counter balance a pod possibly? I still want the pod but i know the guys here are saying dont do it i just dont want a ordinary boat
    Nothing wrong with an ordinary boat. All you will be doing in my opinion is make it look different. Make your different in the deck area if you wish as that’s where your time is spent. People may look at your boat from a distance and see the pod but when they walk up to your boat they will only look inside, not stand back saying oh look at that pod.

Forget pod for now. Finish boat get it on the water and see how it performs. Pod can be added later IF NEEDED

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

https://www.thecaptain.tv/articles/b...ilders-survey/

Have a read. Light hearted but not one recommendation for retrofitting pods to old hull designs.

As lots of other blokes have said, it's your boat so do what you want, but bastardising a line a good mate of mine gave me, I reserve the right to laugh at you if it doesn't work! In my opinion, and stolen from the crew at Bote-Cote, the simplest and most successful way of restoring old boats for the backyarder is replacing like with like (or words to that effect). The philosophy worked for me which is why I keep suggesting it to you. If you want to experiment with hull design, get a job working for a boat builder and do it on their coin.

whether it works or not, it just won't look right with the original transom line and splash well!

I'm looking at all options at this moment in cluding going a pod even going carbon fibre if it doesnt pan out i can take it off reluctantly

So far have quotes of twill 12k 600g carbon fibre $16 a meter looking at ordering 15-20 meters for a pod thickness about 6-10mm thick pod

So other than appearance is there a reason for the pod?

Matt

Matt at the moment i dont actually know how far i want to mod the boat i had originally big plans hard top,pod, dual bait tanks, custom splash well, shot is just not happening i just cant find the omph to do it all dreams are dwindling and i am slowly settling on less and less modifications soon i will end up with a expensive $10,000 boat that is nothing out of the ordinary

So pod and splashwell? But why? A grocery list of all the cool things you've ever seen on a boat doesn't make rebuilding plan.

So beyond looks and despite lots of people saying it is a bad idea why do you want a pod.

Matt

Gazza,
    Mate we have a pod on our old yellowfin platey, it doesn't make the boat look any flasher, the boat is a no nonsense fishing boat and maintenance restricted to the updated 115 4 stroke yammy and a hose down, works fine and catches as much if not more fish than most in our area. It looks so rough anyway but doesn;'t leak and goes pretty well for what it is, and has a nice fishable deck. Painted by hand by previous owner many years ago in what we think is roadwork yellow paint, lol.
    So much we could do to tidy her up but we go fishing instead, much less stressful :-)
    If you want a flash rear end, why not just focus on a nice plumbed livey tank, preparation and storage area, rod holders, maybe some tackle storage, with raised /hidden battery areas, couple of nice stainless cleats. Get some nice artwork on the back to make people go wow, perhaps.
    Just an option , like the boys are saying, can always pod later if your not happy with performance or sea handling characteristics.
    Cheers
    Muz

sounds like your frothing at the mouth to do the pod, i reckon if you wanna do it then go for it. reckon you could knock up the design you done in a few days and you know how to glass then its a matter of bolt on ..

i would consider these ideas 1. keep your design but make it wider. 2. The pod has two air tight chambers( two inspection hatches) 3. two bolts in each chamber attaches to transom

glass in a diagonal brace in each chamber and make the pod fully sealed before you bolt it on , it will have six sides and thus fully sealed and independent from the transom . the only holes that will need reasealing will be the four bolt holes thus minimising water intrusion over a large area. before bolting tight add extra sealant .
    also i think if you go the pod , then you have to go the hard top and wave breaker idea to make the balance.

this pod design was on my last boat and was made and owned from a fellow Ausfisher. its the best and never had a problem.

Your boat would be out of the ordinary because it's yours and you put your blood sweat and tears into it. You restored it and put your own touches into it, even if they might only be subtle.

You should try and think of some other customisation that is unique to you/this boat and for your needs. I dunno - first thoughts would be make it a rear centre console with a coffin box up front? Then paint the whole thing bright white and get a vinyl print done for each side - partial maybe - with a graphic of a fish or something which means something to you.

The common advice here is to avoid the pod in round 1. I'd listen to it as it has come from many different sources. If it still doesn't float your boat (pun intended) then pod it in round 2. I would also seek advice from some form of naval architect as to the actual design and reality of it all - something you can give yourself time to save up for while still being able to use it after round 1 of work.

Muzz your a funny bugger the paint lol yeah its just a fishing boat that once finished will likely just get abused i am not fussed with boat maitinence or to the point of polishing and being extordinary anal anout getting marks up the side coming in hot at the boat ramp have done it before will likely do it again

The weird thing is i actually dred fibreglassing now the who massaging in the epoxy has done me head in that is why im knocking off the things i wanted but dont have the want to have them now

Cat i red hot wanna do it everything is against the pod and my whole pod idea but its just one of those things i wanna do i have been advised not to go the carbon fibre pod but to use aramid/kevlar but that shit cost a bomb like $18 per 0.2mm thickness carbon fibre is $29 per 0.56mm as the kevla comes in 200gram weight i can get the carbon in 600gram weight so its another curve ball, i cant really go any wider on the pod unless i reduce the angle the pod is on front to back, the front of the pod that bolts onto the transom has a circumfrance of 1.9m i think i got that right its almost boxed 50x45cm i could reduce the angle u mention and beef my laminate it should also be easier to lay up if i go hand wet lay up or vacuum infuse

Ray yeah almost everyone is against the pod but u know its like being 10 years old again u see something and u really want it even tho your mum says no u still want it haha kind of one of those moments its once a year i get a bit of cash to splurge out on something and its that time i think

After watching youtube for ideas on the pods laminate than looking at coosa board and thermolite being 15mm sheet $350 it sprung an idea! Thermolite is a mix of foam core, woven roving and a mix of laminates if i was to order a sample than try copy the sample and make my own composite board for my pod would anyone be interested in the wild idea ideally it would only take a few hours to knock a sheet up, what sparked my interest was i have already seen the thermolite board and its laminates it is quiet surprizingly easy to reproduce but i just need to see the sample to again to copy it

Its been a year since i picked up the resin that is when i seen the sample in store

I would need to gather the supplies and wait for the sample to arrive

From memory the piece i looked at had 1 or 2 foam cores from memory the foam was not soft it was not brittle but like an extuded foam

Its a wild idea... i know i should be channeling the time into boat building but it kind of is since the sheet will be for the pod build

5mins of googling finds these pictures, one you beaut kiwi uploaded a picture of all the specs i need to build the sheet to or over engineering there specs just need a big table to vacuum bag it all together the laminate looks different to what i remember

I have a 20,000kg hydraulic press out the back to carry out testing

Decide if you're
    A) rebuilding a boat
    B) experimenting with hydrodynamics and hull design, or
    C) experimenting with making your own composites.

The one project is not a vehicle for all three. Remember that scientifically, your error compounds as you go.

If you went with ply everything and used the time spent online to glass, I reckon you'd have got the floor down by now.

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Decide if you're
    A) rebuilding a boat
    B) experimenting with hydrodynamics and hull design, or
    C) experimenting with making your own composites.

The one project is not a vehicle for all three. Remember that scientifically, your error compounds as you go.

If you went with ply everything and used the time spent online to glass, I reckon you'd have got the floor down by now.
    This is what I imagine Gaz's response is if you replace the word "bigger" with the word "pod"

Matt