Page 50 of 233 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

It wets out just like polyester Gazza. I'm a long way from an experienced fibreglasser but I used it to do my hard top. I typically mixed it in 250gram batches one after the other as the job piece was fiddly. I did 500gram batches when I glassed over the foam internally without issue - used 300gsm chop strand through out. The only thing I would think that would limit your progress is only being able to go so many layers before the heat build up presented issues. The big beauty is no issues with blush - quick wipe with acetone and the next layer goes straight on.

Thanks Scott, will i need to sand between layers?

Everything I found when I was researching basically said provided the next layer was applied within 16 hours (sooner is better though) that no surface prep is necessary and there will be chemical bonding between layers. I pretty much did my layup one layer over the next with a maximum of 4 layers where there were joins just working continuously. I did give the already cured hardtop skin a sand before applying the first layer underneath though. Some of the more experienced guys may have a better idea on how many layers (or how thick) you can go in one hit.

Pod it and turn that splash well into a live bait tank and you'll guarantee the finished product will be an absolute dog. Old hulls hate weight in the ass end.

as has been said many times
    plus adding a heavier outboard then designed for and on top push it further out again

Thanks Scott, looked up my epoxy its viscosity is 460 cps, vinylester from the same shop is 150-200 cps, the viscosity of water is 1 cps so that works out half the viscosity i think vinyl resin is the go, plan will be to cut each pannel to a perfect fit than use tape to to over lap 100mm each side i am no fibreglasser but this seems to most readonable approach what u think?

CT a few people throught the thread have said not to pod it i think i need to build it and test it rather than speculate if i learn something good or something bad it will be a lession learnt

Going to order the supplies tomorrow just a question if i ise the 630gram woving roving do u think i could demould it after 4 the first 4 layers? I just dont wanna put a lot of time and money into it if i screw it up than continue to glass it and spend money on a bad first laminate with imperfections

Gazza,
    You need to make sure you get your resin without styrene n wax added. This ensures that you will not have to sand between batches. A quick wipe with acetone is all that is needed. Unlike epoxy, you can mix it at 1% to extend your layup time without effecting the end product.. No reason why you couldn't get this completed over 2 days..

Cox thanks its all about gel time the longer i get to lay cloth on the less days working on it

I think the vinyl doesnt have styrene or wax its a epoxy based vinyl i just hope it doesnt have the epoxy viscosity

Have been searching every site u can think off on google not one mentioned curing times for vinyl ester resin i also just now found on cruisers forum u can glass in cold weather using the vinyl ester resin at 2% catylist but if temps are low it wonk kick untill heated or the sun comes up and warms up some guys were saying there VE was still runny after 12 hours but went hard after it warmed up

Gazza - in my opinion the boat will look and perform better without the pod.

Save time and money and get the boat finished first

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    if i learn something good or something bad it will be a lession learnt
    It will be an expensive lesson and as your not flush with cash it's going to hurt to learn it

I donno guys i had my heart set on the pod.. i just hope its not one of those things i later regret not doing now

There's nothing to stop you podding it down the track but at this stage I'd get it in the water, use it, then decide if you want to keep it. If its a yes, then you can think about another round of customisation.

A few decent trips and you'll end up with a list of things you'd like to change so you could do them in round 2 as well.

Not too sure I am reading this right, but, are you just making a fibreglass "box"? you will need ply inside as well, especially where the motor mounts and where it bolts to the boat.