Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Loaded with energy sitting here with my thumb in my butt doing nothing its killing me 1am to much frost and moisture in the air to keep gluing away need to sand the next pieces wish i had thought it thru yesterdqy in the day time

Been up for a few hours and cant do jack all

Bugger

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Just prepped everything samded the second layer vacuumed the sheets and transom slot

Guys with 1 layer of 25mm Kaycel in there as it sits with me pushing and pulling on tge transom it doesnt even move and its not even glassed yet

Going by what im feeling right now this transom will be incredibly strong

Im in this transom rebuild 11 hours

2 days rain coming up i'll let the transom cure, kind of put to much glue in the transom gap big blobs squeezed out waste of resin and fumed silica but shes done

Looks like a shit job probably is but im not a boat builder..

After the rain comes and goes in the next two days i'll shape the top of the transom and tidy her up

As for getting the last kaycel on i resorted to a plank of plywood and a hammer had to bash the sheets in there than my hammer snapped shes in there toght tho

Looks ugly af at the moment gimme a couple of days to shape her and i'll post pics

I tried to do the best i could with one sheet so lets see how it comes outAttachment 122059Attachment 122060

The left and right top extended pieces look crappy but the idea was to bring my gunnels strait back to the transom and outline the gunnel shape right back to the very end filling the gap i cut in front of the splashwell it should look ok once cut

Got her cut to shape there is a lot of final trimming to be done, the top left and right caps are just rough cuts and will be trimmed, glued than sanded to final shape before glassing starts

Some parts are off on angles slightly just where my good jigsaws blade went blunt and i had to use another jig saw something to do with the blade flexing on one jogsawAttachment 122065Attachment 122066

Transom turned out much vetter than i had thought it looked a bit shitty at first like it was patched together it kind of was but now shes trimmed it all came together and looks nice

I am reassured now that this transom is strong now the glue has had a few days to cure when i push and pull on the transom it doesnt even flex 2mm it is so stiff and feels incredibly strong and its not even laminated

I was a bit unhappy the other day that i made my tollerances so tight i had to resort to a hammer to get the last two sheets in but now seeing how strong the transom is i put that down to the tight fit of the sheets

I reckon i could easily hang a 150hp v6 off this transom no worries

Jfyi when i finished that 47mm plywood transom pushing and pulling on it it moved about 4mm this foam core transom moves zero nothing at all

Today i hope the rain holds off i cant do any gluing because of predicted storms i need to leave the tarp off for 24 hours so the tarp dont stick to the curing glue so the plan is to bevel my transom outskirt lip for glassing than i'll jump in and use the planer to finish off my stringers

Heres a closer pic of transomAttachment 122068

Last update for now i cut her down to 20" late this afternoon in this video im putting a good 40-45kg pull push on the transom and it doesnt even move 2mm and its not even fibreglassed yet

The piece i cut out of the transom was 500x125mm i laid it up side the drawbar on my bike trailer and stood on it all it is kaycel 2 layers with glue in the middle it held my 93kg of weight i than started bouncing on it the offcut board flexed but didnt snap

I have 100% faith in this transom, i'll do an update later when i start glassing and or finish glassing

looking good , looks very strong and good timing amongst this wet weather lately .

Cat yeah i reckon once the core is glassed it will be bullet proof if i grab the transom with both hands it still wont flex its that strong

When u think about it 1 layer of kaycel/thermolite has 2 seperate layers of 600g woven roving seperated by a foam core in the middle now in my case i doubled my core so really i have 4 layers of 600g woven roving seperated by 3 foam core sections

If i were to use 1 sheet of 38mm kaycel/thermolite for a transom thats only 2 total layers of 600g woven roving and 1 main foam core

I think by doubling or possibly trippling the layers of board would incredibly stiffen a transom if u were to go 4 layers of 15mm board for instance for a 60mm core i couldnt even imagine the strength in that!!!

I should have explained that better

1x 15mm board has 2 layers of 600g WR with 1 main foam core

1x 38mm board has 2 layers of 600g WR with 1 main foam core

combine 3x 15mm sheets you have 6 layers of 600g WR with 5 main cores very heavy duty shit

No absolutely nothing about these composite options, so it's an interesting watch Gazza....
    But I'm picking, it's still a case of following the correct proceedure, as with anything......

Col

Yeah shes strong Col and i'll be sticking to a regular plywood laminate schedule i have everything to start glassing 300g woven roving, 400g double bias, 450g chopped mat (powder bound) i plan on gluing the top sides shortly today so i can shape them tomorrow and hopegully begin fibreglassing in the next couple of days

Got a bit of a question to ask later today which is a tricky one and another one about the splash well, i glued in the top left/right back corners late last night just waiting for the resin to go hard than i'll shape the mess

My splashwell is a bit over the place due to me cutting it out than going a thicker transom and i still need to shape the back top corners but they came out ok so far i'll start gluing the splashwell cut out tonight, im in the transom 13 hours

Im also not accurite with cutting lol hopefully i can shape stuff with the grinder..

Attachment 122069Attachment 122070Attachment 122071

Had to add a bit of glue top left as i didnt build up the surface enough and i mixed up a bit of glue that was left over

Probably another short day of gluing than another session getti g everything looking the same on both sides than the fibreglassing begins

Laminate on the inside slightly lifted around the edges due to the jig saw i'll peel it back lightly put some glue in there rihht before glassingAttachment 122073Attachment 122074Attachment 122075