Page 37 of 233 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by RayLamp View Post
    If you can't get out on the weekend, and no mates are going out... well this is what it will probably be like (not a million miles from where you are...)

Attachment 119247
    Oh u lucky bugger, glassed out, perfect for my cousin who gets seasick lol

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    ya laughing then at that weight of the roof, 25 kgs, your design reminds me part barcrusher with the sharp cuddy top, so i guess you will knock up the ply, glass it and then flow coat it?, or do you paint it?
    yeah the old windows etc would have been a bit of weight
    will look a mean beast in the end
    I'll likely make the cabin from 7mm or 9mm plywood its currently on special for $12 a sheet with marine glue i just have no where to store the cabin if i build it now and a bit focused on the floor and stringers

I think if i use epoxy for the cabin laminate i will use a light weight west systems fairing powder and paint it with 2k paint i like how hard the boat cote stuff went it just lacks the gloss so may look into another paint unsure just yet but would love to paint the whole boat white with gray down the side of hull maybe a gray cabin with white trim around the outsides and possibly a black or grey pod

Whats your opinion's on laminating the the hard top with fancy carbon fibre guys? Found a shop with it really cheap 15 square meters under $200 think it was 300g cloth i know nothing about CF other than its incredibly strong it would look cool on the boat those having a unpainted black cabin in carbon fibre

ive only had a custom car seat done for me and it was resin impregnated then vacuum formed and oven cured

That cloth i found was only a roll of 200mm wide 15m for $125 i have been looking at the slightly better stuff but still plain weave its about $16 a yard out of the US its only a small cabin i think it may be very dooable on the cheap but i will have to do more research as to the over lapping of cloths for the astetics as there is no paint everyone can see the glassing job

One other thing i read about the CF is it reflexs heat good

My cousin couldn't help today to pick up the timber so i went to Mitre 10 picked up 3 sheets of 7mm plywood going to start building the hard top, give me a few hours i'll stitch something together with cable ties as i did the last boat, stitch and glue...

Marked up the first bit of plywood and took a look at the whole sheet and thought it looked like crap i cut it out than stuck it up for a look still looked poxie i than cut the second sheet and the two front lower sheets and cable tied it together and thought wow what a beast I'm in love lol

i took a fair few pictures and i only deleted 1 that was off center they all look really good just how it looks in person, the top parts where the windows will be cut from will be cut and angled 90 degrees to the hull so the top needs to be pulled out but i don't want to cut them untill i brace them as not to lose any degree so i just hope they don't snap off

last few pics for now what u all think?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    last few pics for now what u all think?
    To be honest I think you need to work on one stage of this project to completion instead of wasting time and money flitting from half arsed part to the next.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    To be honest I think you need to work on one stage of this project to completion instead of wasting time and money flitting from half arsed part to the next.

Matt
    Matt if i done that it would never get finished. i have been waiting weeks for the timber if i keep waiting i will miss the cool weather and get nothing done while i sit around with my finger in my butt, i may have a couple jobs on the go ie stringers and hard top it just means the two will meet together and i can glass the whole thing in one big hoorarh

i have 10kg of resin left that has an expiry of less than 2 months i dont want to miss winter, buy more resin and let it sit there all next summer not being used because i waited untill i got the timber for the jig

money is scarce now so i'll spend money on what i can do to benefit me and my spare time and enjoyment, i cant just wack out an extra $50 to $70 to get timber delivered i ain't rich that money could buy me a few litres of resin so i'll sit and wait untill someone can either lend a hand to pick up the timber or i win lotto and can afford to have it delivered

Further more Matt i plan on having one big go at laying resin over everything to encapsulate it all my stringers and all the pieces to the hardtop that should be the last of that 10kg of resin

anyhow this is how it will look i cut the roof but no pics

just an edit: there are a lot of bitchy people on here that take nips and have a go all the ...... time I'm doing this for fun and a project at that nothing may be organised but i am having fun that's all that counts

what is with all the negative bs of late in here spoils the forum

Cat, Noel, Couple others on here top blokes always supportive and offering advice or some encouragement, i met ya about 10 years ago Noel u gave me a free trailer

It’s not negativity

It’s other boaties trying to help you get in the water without wasting money and effort

You had a cabin and windows and threw that to the tip now your wanting to making something else to replace that which will look out of step with the age of the hull and not be as good

People realise you have limited funds and want this as a project to give you a goal to aim for.

Build the trailer fix the outboard get the floor in. Projects get done one step at a time and being focused on completing each step

I contemplated the hard top from the beginning so its always been on my mind wether to go centre console the CC was just alot quicker to smash out and go fishing

Whati understand what u guys are saying but i bundle the boat into one big project rather than smaller jobs

If i bought the timber and had it delivered i would be broke for a week so i'd pretty much get nothing done as i still need another sheet of 25mm plywood to continue with the stringers so i opted to build the cabin and have some coin left over and it gives me something i can keep working on staying busy and keeping my mind at rest

Finances are pretty cripled for a while as i'm paying back several k to my mother that is why no work is progressing on the trailer just yet i need to get the spring hangers and draw bar gal but no cash and not happy painting it

well it looks good, i can picture it now with a lick of paint. will look more modern, the old cabin was so old fashion, best thing you did was demo it for sure.
    sometimes you need to tack differently to keep the project going, its good your doing the cabin , keeps your creative juices flowing which in the end will give you the custom style of boat your aiming for.
    Q. will you walk around the side to access your anchor bow area? on my cabin boat i do have a hatch in front , but 99% of the time , i simply walk around the gunnel/coaming to access the anchor.

the last picture shows how big the hull length is, and shows a nice shape/ sides . reckon that gelcoat will shine up real good with a bit of wet/dry and polish. is that light blue on top or grey.