Thread: Mechanical disc trailer hubs

Mechanical disc trailer hubs

Been looking at my trailer disc hubs and there getting a bit of rust on them now and was going to replace them with gal ones, my question i how long has the galvanizing lasted on yours i thought that mine were galvanized but now im thinking they were black ones going by the amount of growth on them now.

Re: Mechanical disc trailer hubs

even though they are galvanized, the face is still machined and bare, so it will still get rusty!

I think you can get stainless ones for a fortune.

The stainless ones are very expensive but are so piece of mind. Iím still running a set from 2011 and have just replaced pads so far.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Anyone got a link to SS ones?

You can also get bronze discs whether they are any cheaper or better I donít know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    https://www.trailersparesonline.com....s-steel-brakes

Thanks Dignity, jeez they don't miss you with the price eh?

Certainly do hit you up, I've never worn out steel ones as I don't do the miles, most of my trips are 5 mins from home, just enough to polish the old ones up so I haven't seen the need for SS.

My trailer was 9 years old and had the origional gal brake setup
    used it 2-3 times a month on average

I had a hose I connected to the hot tap in the laundry and would hose them down at home with hot water and lots of car wash truck wash or what ever I had then sprayed with wd40

The wd40 burnt off on the three brake applications to leave my street

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Saw some for $295 each and only for falcon stud patten from the USA at Probar caboolture

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    My trailer was 9 years old and had the origional gal brake setup
    used it 2-3 times a month on average

I had a hose I connected to the hot tap in the laundry and would hose them down at home with hot water and lots of car wash truck wash or what ever I had then sprayed with wd40

The wd40 burnt off on the three brake applications to leave my street
    Ive all ways given them a good hose but that dosen't last just with a good hosing, the WD40 sound like the go,only $140 for a new set and start fresh and give them a spray.

Chris, where the pads rub on the disc this gets galvanised but i think the disc pad surfaces get machined so its normal for those sections to rust

A lot of the stuff on ebay is dacromat im not entirely sure what that is but they chose that word over hot dip galvanised
    I can't help those that are jelous of me, it's their lives :O)

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Certainly do hit you up, I've never worn out steel ones as I don't do the miles, most of my trips are 5 mins from home, just enough to polish the old ones up so I haven't seen the need for SS.
    Mine are rusty from lack of use but I'm going to sell the boat for a song and can't justify $600 for stainless.