Page 33 of 233 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041424383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

1.5 hours on the boat today still removing the timber stringers i brought out the sledge hammer only way to get the wood out was smashing the outside of the stringer in towards the middle of the boat as the grinder couldn't access the bottom of the tabbing to cut it, i still have 2 stringers to remove those tiny 40mm outside stringers and the remaining skins need to be ground down

its punishing work i am itchy as AF

looks like i have come under scrutiny of the internet police tried selling the mercury 90hp to pay for a professional to fibreglass my stringers and kept getting questioned to the ring ole about my possessions they wanted serial numbers from the Evinrude Etec and Mercury they didn't ask about my two registered cars or my bike under my name that were for sale as well, i was actually approached online and asked if my engine was the engine from Burill Lake and if my powerhead was purchased off of Ebay whatare the chances a average joe marries these two from months ago when i purchased them? its really pissing me off i uploaded pictures of the serial number so they leave me alone i done a PPSR on the mercury and the Evinrude Etec was from a shop

i was questioned on Gumtree and Facebook they knew exactly how much i paid for the Mercury and how much i paid for the powerhead they knew there exact locations too, one muppet asked why i was selling it for double to what i paid actually he just wanted clarification

Who's asking the questions? Just online randoms?

And dont hit shit with a sledgehammer! A multitool is your friend.

If you must resort to a hammer, use some wedges to make life easier and more controllable. Old axe heads are good. They have a broad surface area so are less likely to dig into something you dont want it to.

Hey CT if i ignore one question another nick name pops up with that person asking the questions it has been on gumtree and facebook also ebay was mentioned like wtf remembers a add from 3 months ago exact location exact price and can tell from different pictures and know exactly one was from ebay the other off of gumtree or fb, someone is keeping tabs they were asking for serial numbers untill i gave it to them now all msging has stopped

I only have a grinder on hand i was trying to cut as low as possible to the hull along the outside of the strings but couldnt get the grinder in there, i cut one side than used the sledge hammer it worked ok all's done now i only have to sand all the left over tabbing

Looks like the old timers used around 4 layers for tabbing but only 2 layers up and over the stringers

I will try put some more time into the boat when i can, coming up to winter i really want to get something happening

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey CT if i ignore one question another nick name pops up with that person asking the questions it has been on gumtree and facebook also ebay was mentioned like wtf remembers a add from 3 months ago exact location exact price and can tell from different pictures and know exactly one was from ebay the other off of gumtree or fb, someone is keeping tabs they were asking for serial numbers untill i gave it to them now all msging has stopped
    Don't give out details. They are re-birthing stolen goods using got details

Matt

thats scary, like some one is researching , like you say rebirthing . lock ya house and shed. crikey

I have wrecked a few things a yamaha xlt jetski, evinrude etec, i have sold and bought several items from gumtree and ebay i am thinking its the police after i bought that stolen bike and handed it over to the police its all happening since than, it is really pissing me off because i am not intensionally doing anything wrong

I've had to remove all my facebook, gumtree and ebay adds because of the harrassment

Might have been a good idea to do one stringer at a time to try and keep the hull straight? eBay and gumtree is full of scams and shonky people, I never buy anything from either of them if possible, but if I do, I am very cautious of dealing with the buyer/seller.

Im not sure Noel first boat rebuild so learning as i go i think im going to leave the two outside 40mm high stringers while i install the others just so it hopefully supports the bottom from hooking the hull that is my theory

police wont contact you via email ever
    they will knock on your door if they really want to talk

early on in this build it was recommended you build a cradle to keep the hull straight, when you get all the supports out it will flop around like a kids plastic pool

Yeah i can't build a jig the boat must remain on the trailer i have a house inspection coming up and i am hopping I'm not told to move the boat and trailer i have no where for it to go fingers crossed nothing is said about it

yesterday i noticed i have been doing the build for 1 year 3 weeks its hard finding mota but i am slowly chipping away, i can't afford a shop to do the stringers unless i sell my bike or the Mercury with with these DH's on the internet fat chance of selling anything

being a big boat 5.7 meters its not floppy, the transom was 12mm thick so i'd assume the hull is 12mm thick all round

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post

being a big boat 5.7 meters its not floppy, the transom was 12mm thick so i'd assume the hull is 12mm thick all round
    One stringer at a time Gaz. This is not negotiable. If you cut everything out it will hook, hog, oilcan etc and you will be pissing your time and money away. If you can't cradle it and must do it on the trailer then one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post

early on in this build it was recommended you build a cradle to keep the hull straight, when you get all the supports out it will flop around like a kids plastic pool
    What he said. If you glass it up out of shape the whole thing is rooted and goes in the bin. Did I mention non-negotiable?

An alternative method, somewhat rough though, is to simply glass up the new stringers beside the old rotten ones, leaving them in place. Yes its rough. Yes it gets done by professionals. For this sort of build it wont be any worse than anything else a backyarder might do.

CT 70/80% of the stringers were already removed when i bought the boat a year ago so the only thing i can do is glass it once its on the new trailer but i still need to finish that too