Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Hey Gunna i kind of have to buy where i can and what i can at the time i suck at saving and i can see if i dont start stretching it all out now its going to pile up into ahuge list of stuff i need in 3-4 months and i wont have the money to buy it all

I need everything safety related that alone will be $500, boat fit out seats, lighting etc.. $500 easy, paints and cloth + resin to finish off the floor another $550-$600 or more, bottom of hull paints another $200, trailer another $1000 + boat and trailer regos

I could go without seats for a maiden and sit on milk crates have done that before

But i really want to do a end video once shes all together first time putting her in the water right thru a test run etc.. i really dont want the boat looking like a povo throw together unfinished maiden

This hard top on plan would be a 6 week build but realistically a 6 month build lol i like it a lot tho

Edit: in fact i think im going to build it, let me sleep on that idea tho sure does look nice drawn out

Its only 28c here and my 300mls of glue is g9ing into large rocks inside the cup i have never experienced this there is no direct sun on the boat right now, its making me think i may need to get a tropical hardener this resin went rock solid in 10mins flat smoking

I made the last floor pieces i just had to glue some 85mm strips up the sides of both pieces to make a full width floor

with the seats , check out graysonline they often have boat seats going for a fraction of the price BCF want.
    i think you should build the hardtop cuddy cab exactly like your sketch, looks good and will keep you protected from the elements

I guess that is where Plan, budget, prioritise (there's a few more in there) comes into it. Gazza, from what I see is that you just bounce around and spend where your next thought takes you.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    with the seats , check out graysonline they often have boat seats going for a fraction of the price BCF want.
    i think you should build the hardtop cuddy cab exactly like your sketch, looks good and will keep you protected from the elements
    Thank Cat i can never work out there bidding system i once over bidded by hundreds of dollars as i thought i was entering my max bid but the price went right up to max amount i typed in i won the item of course but spoke with grays online and the lady let it slide i have never returned since

Yeah i'll build the hard top as close as possible to that sketch, i was just out there taking windscreen measurements my windscreen will be 207cm so i have 93cm to make both side windows but the sheet of perspex is 3.0m wide i made add 2 sliding side windows to make it all fit from a 1 piece windscreen

Plan is to use 4mm hard bracing plywood for houses and laminate both sides with 3 layers of 300gram double bias i think it should be strong as

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I guess that is where Plan, budget, prioritise (there's a few more in there) comes into it. Gazza, from what I see is that you just bounce around and spend where your next thought takes you.
    Ypur very right Digs im realising i get a high from buying new products when really i should be focusing on production and progress

Im getting there tho i backed away from the seat purchase and spent some time working on the floor which i am no longer keen on the seat purchase

As for the boat floor tomorrow i just need to sand those two back floor pieces than glass the under side of both sheets and glass the under side of my bow floor piece than glue them down and screw down by than my entire floor will be ready for tabbing than glassing

I was just out in the boat chillin sitting on the side of the fuel tank pocket just quietly looking around at the hull for 20mins, peering over my work, where i have come from and how this project has changed my life in a good way

Hey Cat i took some measurements today and i cant go with that hard top design the top bow piece doesnt extend back far enough for me to put two seats inside the cabin the V in the floor doesnt have the room however this new sketch works only just tho i had to push the cabin back

Some progress a big tidy up of tools and stuff than a big vacuum of the hull, i still need to glassunder the floors but yeah we all have days where not much gets done

Bugger!!!!! Another problem, the cabin must clear my houses roof eave that hangs over my driveway plus i have a gutter to go under too god dam cant win

I am yet to take clearance measurements for the hard top and it clearing my house roof and down drain pipe but here is the final design

And some glassing today, i had a really late start tonight started using the grinder at 8pm used it for litterally 60 seconds wasnt happy with my finish but i had to glass tonight and i was limited by noise restrictions

I would forget about fancy hard tops for now, get the console in, get the motor running and use the boat, then work out what works and what you want/need.

If, as has been suggested many times, you put your priorities on paper and followed a plan, then I suspect seating might be a tad more important than a hard top.

Even seating is not a huge priority, standing behind a console has been going on for years, especially for us southerners, where a fishing trip might be a run of 5 or 10 minutes, seats are nice of course, but things need to be put into order of need V want.