Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Thanks Dig i thought gelcoat stays a gel for more coats but mine is rock hard with a gloss over the coating

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Thanks Dig i thought gelcoat stays a gel for more coats but mine is rock hard with a gloss over the coating

You can get unwaxed but usually it is generally applied direct into the mould, wasn't that why you originally bought it for when you were making the pod.

Yeah Digs it was meant to be gelcoat thats why i bought finishcoat later on i double checked the tin last night and it is gelcoat im using unsure why the gelcoat on the pod went rock hard and not tacky

I will give it a sand with #400 soon and see how it sands

Love the milk container resin and gelcoat idea i have used the same container 3 times over i was using painters cups before throwing awa $0.80c each mix, the fairing mix and gelcoat popped right out of the milk container

Wet sanding done took about 30mins knocked most of the paint lumps down with a wooden block and #320 wet and dry, the wet paper with a drop of dish soap worked great

Forecast is rain today so i'll let the pod dry off today

Found most of my hull rebuild receipts im in it for glassing supplies $1600 + hull $1000 + plywood $500 + one receipt im missing $420 resin

a lot of ####ing money bad move buying this hull im paying for it now but im committed

On the other hand. When it’s finished and in perfect condition you can keep it for the next twenty years. Makes it a pretty good deal.

Sounds good like that Gunna but if i die a day after i test her i'll be rolling in my grave lol

2 quarter days sanding and painting with gelcoat and she looks like this Attachment 121479Attachment 121480Attachment 121481Attachment 121482

A few people were laughing at my first and second attempt at making a pod mould even saying wtf is that on the back of the boat but now its made they are not to be seen, the pod is not exillerating fantastic its just an average job nothing spectacular but i gave it a go and won this time..

If i am to ever make another pod i would raise the rear bottom and extend the back top up above the top section and make a 2 piece mould would look really snazzy

Now i know i can mould and have something come.out of a mould that looks ok it gives me confidence to put more time and effort in making a mould rather than 2 hours

If it can be done i'll try it

Started painting inside today one more layer of finishcoat and shes done than time to finish off the water tankAttachment 121486Attachment 121487Attachment 121488

Anyone got an idea on how to pressure test the water tank? I thought of welding on a little nipple and threading it for a push bike hand pump but the pump may lose air within its self

Worried if i use the air compressor i can lower the psi but i cant hold the pressure back at 4psi continously as there will be no valves to shut it off, if you have ever used a air compressor and a leak down tester you'll know what i mean

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Anyone got an idea on how to pressure test the water tank? I thought of welding on a little nipple and threading it for a push bike hand pump but the pump may lose air within its self

Worried if i use the air compressor i can lower the psi but i cant hold the pressure back at 4psi continously as there will be no valves to shut it off, if you have ever used a air compressor and a leak down tester you'll know what i mean

What are you doing to get the water in and out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    What are you doing to get the water in and out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Im thinking of placing the water tank where it was positioned for a fuel tank i'll have a bulkhead in front of the water tank than a 1600mm fuel tank area

I was just going to weld on one small bit of pipe and run a hose up to the new splashwell and have a plug or lid something like that

Im unsure how deck wash pumps work if they self siphon or need to be submerged in the tank i will have to look that up

Had a massive screw up this afternoon didnt mix enough mekp into the finishcoat im hopping with the shed closed it warms up enough tomorrow to cure the finishcoat or i donno how to fix it, i applied it 6 hours ago and its still wet

I actually hope there is not different mekp hardeners as i used the mekp that came with the gelcoat and not the one that cane with the finishcoat

Weld a threaded bung fitting onto the tank for the filler. Then drill a hole in the cap and fit a valve stem to it. Inflate using a bike pump or very gently with a compressor for 4 psi. If it tests ok, buy a second cap, swap them over and done.

Most deckwash pumps are self priming.

Worst case with a dud mix is scrape it off and go again. Nothing structural at this stage so not much lost. Just more time on the sandpaper.

Thanks CT i'll do that ebay sells 1" 25mm weld on necks with caps