Page 83 of 233 FirstFirst ... 33737475767778798081828384858687888990919293133183 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 3493

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Gazza, those cheap carport shades are made of fairly flimsy piping and even with zincalume sheeting would not withstand a strong breeze and in fact I think it would weaken it even more. Have a look around for a secondhand Shadeshed, there'll be the odd one around. You might also have to check on local council regs about fully covering something like that in.

I never second guessed about covering it Dig i guess it would fall under a structual carport and that will likely need a permit bugger

But what if its portable?

I have real AH neighbors too the'd report it the second they see it

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

A extra 50hp will put more stress on a transom then a bit more weight

You can treat each piece of ply as Sonja a it’s cut and not have to worry about covering it up that well for the weather

I pre wet all the ply I put in my 445 Haines well anything that didn’t need some bends while putting it into place

And following glass layers still stuck to it

Just make sure no raw ply is left behind after each session even if it means just a coat of what ever resin you are using at the time

Today i used a specific fibreglass resin roller and todays laminate/3 layers turned out very nice one of my best polyester laminates very minimal air pockets due to the diameter of the roller in the corners but the chopped mat and roving looks really nicely laid out

I'd slap another 3 layers on this afternoon before dark but i am buggered been up 24 hours

I will do 2 more runs which will be another 6 layers than i will think closely about making my final trim to size that will give me a real refference as to pod thickness

Than the pod will be something around 19-20 laminates thick

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I never second guessed about covering it Dig i guess it would fall under a structual carport and that will likely need a permit bugger

But what if its portable?

I have real AH neighbors too the'd report it the second they see it

Shadesheds (other brands around in different states) are considered portable (although my neighbour knocked the poles into the ground about 600mm)so you will be able to take it to your new location. Once up, leave it for a while and if no complaints then get shadecloth with plastic backing and put it on the sides and that will stop the rain getting in. If they then complain, easy enough to remove it.

May build something like this possibly next to the house depending where we move, dont think council will say anything about this and if it were to blow off in a huge storm i dont think the pvc would be a real problem its low profile and light

It would just have to be a huge shelter 7 meters long and around 4 meters wide and i will have to use a good tarp rated for a few years use through seasons

Guys was going to do my second last glassing session today but shes a bit overcast with patches of dark clouds definatly the right tempreture nice chill to the air

I have a question after i finish glassing because im using unwaxed resin once the last layer of mat goes on how do i do the fairing if the glass needs wax to cure it?

If i glass than bog than apply gelcoat it wont cure the resin under the bog/fairing mix

It will cure as soon as you cut the air off Gazza. When I did mine I did exactly that without issue. Poly resin unwaxed, poly resin with Q-cells for fairing then gelcoat with the last layer of gelcoat having wax added.

thanks scott

It absolutely pissed down yesterday evening i am hopping most of the water has washed away out of my yard

Hopping to squeeze in a glassing sesh this morning

Do u guys think a 17 layer laminate or 17-19mm thick layer will be enough or i need that full 20mm thick laminate?

Can keep going on the laminates but im out of rollers everything i think is shut for easter

Bunnings will be open today

Will hopefully do a session today and another tomorrow just need to put up a gazebo to work in the shade

Just finished for today, one more session and i'll be at 20 laminates thick, so far i have gone thru about 25-28L of resin as a guess

I'll weigh the pod once glassing is finished will see if i can squeeze in that last session tomortow as we signed for the new house

Just a little bit of advice i tried putting on a layer of resin before yhe chopped mat than laid in the chop mat it made no difference the mat wouldnt stick to the resin

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Just finished for today, one more session and i'll be at 20 laminates thick, so far i have gone thru about 25-28L of resin as a guess

I'll weigh the pod once glassing is finished will see if i can squeeze in that last session tomortow as we signed for the new house

Just a little bit of advice i tried putting on a layer of resin before yhe chopped mat than laid in the chop mat it made no difference the mat wouldnt stick to the resin

Odd, as that's the preferred method. Did it get with with the rain. The other issue with wet weather is the binder used in the CSM falls apart, don't cut it the night before and hang it up as in the morning it will be just a mess on the floor. It sounds like you've got some contamination.

Hey Dig all my cloths and mat get stored inside the house nice and dry, my cloths get tied up in bags on the roll but the chopped mat came just in a box, i font believe there is anything wrong with the mat it wet out perfectly fine just it wouldnt stick to the first layer of resin before starting to glass

If i roll the resin onto the mat it works great, so not sure

The mat is quiet thick 450g could this be why?