Page 72 of 233 FirstFirst ... 22626364656667686970717273747576777879808182122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 3493

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

I appreciate all the help Ed there were a lot of info i was unsure about that u filled me in on and i will put it to practice

I laid on the pva mold release 20mins ago cant remember if the guy at the shop said wait 20mins or 2 hours before glassing

I will leave it for 2 hours, glassing will start today, grabbed my 3m respirator from the shed and tried it on was supriced when it barely fit me i have lost 8kg in weight since i last used it, also grabbed my goggles

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Fed not sure what to make of what your saying...

Guys for anyone that offers help and advice or ways of rebuilding my boat, the trailer or my pod it is just that, if my engine falls off, trailer snaps in half or the boat sinks the only person liable will be me

It is all my work and i understand in todays world a lot of people want to pass the buck when shit hits the fan but rest asdured everything i am doing is on me that is why i used epoxy for the boat for its extra strength

That is why i will be adding steel to the aluminium trailer and why i want the mini pod as thick in glass as i want it

I want everything over built

Any and everyone posting in my threads wont be held accountable if or when anything goes wrong its all on my shoulders

probably the worse job u guys have seen but i panicked as i was rolling out the resin the strands were rolling around the roller and i crapped and thought i screwed it up it was only a little bit but i realized i needed more resin on the roller after that i was fine but thought i was running out of time once finished wetting out i started to roll the air out there was quiet a bit of air and it took as long as wetting out as it did to roll out the air

finally done the first layer not looking forward to the first session of 3 layers... that one layer took a good 20mins+

i didnt use the gelcoat first ed thought being my first time using a mold i will screw something up and it will have to be sanded so i will paint it later once finished and popped out

my corners are shit house i don't own a router and spent my last bit of money buying the supplies

You can spray on gelcoat after it’s all
    done but it just means a bit of extra sanding as it comes out with an orange peel Effect, I used a black guide powder and dry sanded with the green paper discs 400 then 800 and can finish with 1200 if fussy but 800 looks good enough to me then a cut and polish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

thanks DF im using unwaxed resin do u know how long it takes for the mat to go stiff? i finished just before 8am its 9am now still wet

shit and it just started raining bugger they said no rain untill this afternoon hope i didnt bugger this first layer with it now raining as it used about 1.3 litres of resin i dont wanna waste

Depending on outside temp of course I usually gave myself 1/2 an hr, being unwaxed once it goes hard you should just be able to give it a wipe with acetone then put other coats on then final coat with a waxed resin, I’m a noob when it comes to glassing but that’s how I’ve been told to do it!

Thanks Fuzz just checked it the resin has gone semi hard the sun is about to hit the shed, i'll check the weather for later today if to keep on glassing, lucky that rain eariler was just a heavy short sprinkle

Yeah it’s probably the humidity that’s extending curing time, not a big deal just takes a bit longer!

This resin absolutely stinks at first it kind of a catchy smell now have a head ache i was wearing a mask but it seems the pong followed me cant get rid of that smell

Good thing is i didnt have to be anally about the ratio like my epoxy, i just poured 400mls added 5mils of mekp that got used lightning fast so poured up 900mls and added the correct mekp

Can easy see how u would get it in your eyes this resin is runny ju st rolling out the air it was flicking all over the place

Guys its not staying tacky its curing dry and hard does this happen on warm days using unwaxed resin?Attachment 120655Attachment 120656

Give it a wipe with acetone it will become tacky again

Thanks Fuzz

Thinking of doing the first 3 layers this morning but i have a question my woven roving is 750mm wide and one strip doesnt cover the whole mini pod so i will need a over lap of cloth on the back

How much should i over lap and should i place chopped mat between the join in the cloth joint?

4 layers down now im trying my best fellas it may look like lots of air bubbles but i worked it all out as best i could i done some rolling after the pics too

i've used something like 5 litres of resin for the 4 layers this chopped mat is really hard to work with when u rip it into small to medium size pieces had to keep it all in 2 or 3 big bits much easier to roll out in big pieces

had quiet a few bits hanging off the tips of my fingers but she is getting done most important thing, once shes cured i might grind down a edge into the nice glassed area and use the calipers to check how thick it is already for an idea