Page 64 of 233 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374114164 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

I have some structual 6 inch galvanised steel channel i may use that as a 6 inch jacking plate and coat the steel with a few layers of epoxy and use a aluminium backing plate say 10mm to stand the outboard off the steel and use the 10mm alloy plate as as a sacrficial plate

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

What do u guys think? Its steel it will be coated with epoxy resin than painted with epoxy paint, it will have a 10-15mm sacrifical aluminium plate between the jack plates and the engine

Fairing job looks like ass as transom is not finished yet waiting to refair it when i paint the whole boat

Attachment 120385Attachment 120386Attachment 120387

Keep steel out of it mate. As soon as you have to do a bolt up the surface protection will crack - next step rust. It's a constant battle on the tugs. We literally spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on epoxy two pack paint on these things and they still look like crap in 5 years if you don't keep the maintenance up.

Surely theres a way around that Scott could i make some kind of alloy bushings or something? I dont mind if i get 2 years out of it than have to remove samd and paint

Not that we have found mate - apart from covering everything with grease. You will need to be meticulous about your surface prep and super careful with assembly and any necessary paint repair. Leave so much as a scratch and you will have rust stains down the transom in no time if you use the boat a bit. You could just bath it in lanolin or similar after every use but not sure whether that would eventuall affect the glass.

I didnt think about the rust stains but need to reconsider the prep work and first aproach needs to be done pretty well thought thru, thanks for the tips its something to think about

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Most of them only sell by the 6.5m length i only need 1 meter lol

You didn’t say you only wanted a couple of feet of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

I'm sure it's back in the 950 posts somewhere but refresh my memory Gazza, why do you need the channel?
    I'm with Scottar, the rust will beat you no matter what you do.

Why do you need a jacking plate?

Matt

I really dont want to cut my transom down again, being chopped a 2nd time may look shit

Asking a bit before hand but once my floor is down and console is in place this is the next stage.. the cracking is all along both sides from the top down to the water line, what is involved in repairing it?

Second job is my hull below the water line where the marine growth was growing and i pressure washed off the barnicles it has taking off some paint or filler unsure which one it is but how do i repair it? Zoom in on the second pic if u can to see what im talking about

Chees fellasAttachment 120392Attachment 120393

Before you put a floor or console in work out how you are going to run your cables to the rear

cheap fix is to whoosh whoosh a couple layers of paint over the gel coat spider cracks, and maybe that antifoul stuff for the bottom, but if you want to go to town i think its going to be many days with the orbital sander.

Shit doesnt sound good... even if i get it all blasted away i would be there for weeks refairing i would imagine and im not a perfectionist so it may look like crap when painted

Looks to me almost like it's been painted previously. Never seen gelcoat come away like that. Even the above water line looks like sun damaged paint to me.