Page 61 of 233 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071111161 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Yeah Fed the hull has dropped 5mm on port 8mm on starboard i allowed a small 2-3mm gap between my stringers horizontally so i could fill the gap with a glue mix but the wind that reeked havoc in sydney a few days ago has been creating pressure under the tarp a lot of sucking and than once the tarp is balooned its than deflaiting and pushing the hull down so much its cracked all those horizontal glue joints

Not the actual glue holding the stringers down to the hull but the glue joining one end of the stringer to another

Im not really sure what i should do should i jack up the beams right under the middle and support it i have a fear i may hook the hull

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Messed around with it for an hour seems where the hull is touching the beams from the transom 3.5 meters forward the hull is flat but that extra 1 meter up the front of the hull that doesnt touch the hull is bowing

I jacked up the boat from the rear middle of hull and i also jacked it up anout 40% from the back and it was just lifting the whole back of the hull

I am pretty confident its ok the beams are bowing in side ways like the timber is curling how some timber twist as its drying out

If i were to in the future do another hull of this size i would go 190x75mm beams instead of the 190x45mm beams i went with just for extra rigidity

Yet to jump in sode and inspect the hull it was creeking but no breaks while i jacked it up i went easy

Good enough to say shes ready to glass glassing will commence this week if the weather is cool

kicked off quiet early due to the heat i started on my keel stringer cut up 2 layers and laid it down the cloth with the resin sitting in this heat thinned like water it was like a totally different resin than what i used on the transom started around 8:30 its now 10:30 i got down 2 layers of 3 sections over lapping by about 100mm had around 100mm tabbing but the thick woven roving isnt liking the top of the stringer its all bubbled i may have to grind it down later on and lay over some 400g double bias cloth but will see, the woven roving didnt like sitting down in the strakes pocket either so i just went over the top i have enough tabbing to support it

will post pics soon just need to put down the last two layers to finish off the stringer

punishing work under this sun

Really pushed my self to do that last 2 layers so much i started getting a migraine so i rushed to finish than i started getting dizzy so i went to pack up and had to jump out of the boat immediately and seek some shade i pushed my self so much by the time i got half way to the back door started throwing up my guts, i knew strait away today was over.
    Was just sock again after posting this msg i am just beong a p... i cant comprehend what these fire fighters are enduring on the front line and i am bitching about sun stroke

Those white dry looking spots on the top of the stringer are actually where the cloth over laps so it is 4 layrrs thick

Thanks for the likes guys and to those who reply with advice and help it helps me push on bit by bit a little at a time, without the forum i wouldnt know much on how to rebuild the boat

This forum and youtube have helped a lot with my rebuild

I have almost finished glassing 2 stringers starting on the 3rd today, took a video of glassing at 8:30am in 16c shaded boat took a long time to wet out 2 layers of woven roving so i let the sun come up and heat up the resin 24-26c took another video and it took 10mins to wet out the same 2 layers of woven roving just incredible how a warm resin will wet out over a thick cold resin

Whats everyones opinions about the air under the glass at top of stringers? Where the woven roving wouldnt conform to the stringer shapeAttachment 120367Attachment 120368Attachment 120369Attachment 120370Attachment 120371

Why are you using thick mat? not trying to knock your work, but most just use multiple layers of thin chopped strand to make bends easier, not sure if layers of thin chopped strand is better or worse than a layer of thick woven?

Noel the whole roll of woven roving cost $50 its 630gram i have mentioned using it ages ago, im also using epoxy so it would be hard to buy the right chopped mat and the mat would smash my resin supplies

i think i understand what u were saying now Noel, The 600gram woven roving was mentioned months ago and thoughout the time but i think what your saying is to tab the stringers with the wr and cap them with the chopped mat? i was planning on capping the stringers with 2 layers 400gram double bias but just went a head and fully glassed them in with the wr, not to hard to sand the caps back and feather the sides than cap them off

needed to order more resin today i have spent close to $1000 on epoxy resin now about $3000 on the hull so far, i have used 36 litres of resin another 12 litres on its way and i think the bulk heads and floor and centre console will use another 24 litres for a total of about 72 litres somewhere around the $1500 on resin alone for the rebuild

have facial ticks guys laugh if u want i often do when people stare in shopping centers but i can't help it so don't bag me about it

its a big boat, seeing you walk around in it illustrates some space

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    its a big boat, seeing you walk around in it illustrates some space
    Cat the boat looks moderate from the outside but its once u climb inside with no stringers it feels immensely deep, just yesterday i put a piece of scrap ply across the middle X of hull where the console will be and i stood up on it i was a little bummed because it felt so high and as if i lost all that deepness of the hull but having bought the boat empty shell i never knew what it felt like as a actual working boat that it once was i guess the deepness just feels like my smaller boat but in a larger walk around area i think they actually call it freeboard? or i could be wrong.. from the floor to gunnels any how i could actually put my Silverline 4.5m boat inside of this boat its that big

the Sea Camper as its called is only 2.07m wide but it almost feels like it is 2.3m 2,4m wide even just moving it up the driveway i cannot see around the flare in the hull thru the car mirrors which will eventually be a problem

forgot to mention i raised the floor over the last floor replacement but i only raised it around 2cm so the floor plywood sheets stretch out further to the sides to appear as a much bigger boat and floor area i didn't like how the outsides of the floor meet the hull and rise up along the sides i wanted a more of entire flat floor side to side but i couldn't quiet lift it any higher than 2cm feels high as it is now plus i raised the front probably 4cm so any water flows back to the bilge on a rough day

Your video plays back at some random fast speed so I can't actually understand what is being said. Tried slowing it down with no luck. Sounded like Alvin

Good on you for pressing on just stay focused

Matt

Hey Matt was just talking about how thick the resin was i had glassed the 4 layers in front of the piece i done in the video early in the morning and it was cold the resin was really thick strait out of the shed and it was very labour intense trying to roll out the resin this was at something like 8am about 16c when i took this video it was a little bit later around 11am i think and it warmed up a little more into the 20's the resin thinned out so much i put down 2 layers of cloth in 10mins which the earlier 4 layers took a very long time to lay up

at 8am i was probably there for 1 hour putting down 2 layers 4 pieces

11am i put down 2 layers 2 pieces in 10mins flat

i actually thought i laid the cloth out to early in the morning at the first time 8am the cloth just was not wetting out it appeared all white and as if the resin just sat on top of the cloth that's why i was working it for about 1 hour i think as the resin kicked off and produced some heat it eventually soaked into the cloth as it thinned while it was reacting so i wont be glassing that early anymore it was pretty much rolling the resin in for close to an hour

once the day warms up the resin runs like water and wets the cloth out almost instantly i have the resin sitting in the sun

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    have facial ticks guys laugh if u want i often do when people stare in shopping centers but i can't help it so don't bag me about it

any chance of slowing it down so you don't sound like a chipmunk!