Page 59 of 233 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869109159 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

I found this a few Years ago Gazza, you can use it to find the weight of the boat.
    You can weigh the boat with a regular household scale using simple math and physics.

1. First put the scale under the tongue with the boat pulled all the way up on the trailer. For me the scale read 150lbs so W1=150

2. scoot the boat back on the trailer EXACTLY 10" so 10=X

3. reweight the tongue. For me it was 100lbs so W2=100

4. measure the distance in inches from the axle to the tip of the tongue. For me it was 180". so 180=C

5. Plug all 4 of your numbers into the equation. C(W1-W2)/X

Mine looked like this... 180(150-100)/10

6. do the equation
    a. first you subtract 100 from 150 which = 50
    b. then you multiply 50 by 180 which= 9000
    c. finally you divide 9000 by 10 which = 900

So my boat weighs 900 lbs. It will only take you about 5-10 minutes to do.
    You could also use it to find the weight of the boat plus trailer by using two jack stands to change the pivot point of the whole rig instead of just the boat on its own.

For your "pressure scale" to work you would also need to know the cross sectional area of the jack cylinder.

I've also read of people using area of the tyre foot prints then factoring in the tyre pressures to work out the weight of the whole rig.

IE: Let's say your tyre footprint is 6" long and 5" wide ---> = 30 square inches
    and your tyre pressure is 55 PSI
    then the weight that tyre is supporting is 30 x 55 = 1650 Lbs. (748 Kgs)

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Alloy tanks will pit and corrode - but installed properly in a well maintained boat will also last a long time. Apart from an initial mishap caused by an over zealous shifter swinger on the day I bought it home, the tank in my last tin rig did 20 years without issue. The tanks in our crew vessel came out for the first time this year - were modified and then went back into service at near on 30 years old. There is also the option of protective coatings - epoxy based two pack paint is a readily available one - to protect it from salt water exposure. The main thing is to make sure it's not in contact with a constantly wet surface. Best way I have seen is to mount it on plastic blocks that are sika flexed to the tank so no water can get between the tank and the block if it is going to sit on a surface. The one in my tinnie was a suspended tank - attached to brackets welded to the floor supports just below floor level - didn't sit on anything as such. Just need to make sure the tank won't flex causing it to work harden and crack if done that way.
    And make sure that any blocks you Sitka to the tank are fully sealed, any water that gets between them and the tank will cause problems. Also avoid rubber products as they will cause putting very quickly.

Shakey i bought them off of ebay for that very reason lol cost me about $100 i'll never get back

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Thanks for posting that Fed seems li ke a lot of maths i am hopeless at maths so i would probable screw it all up i am also unable to move the boat on trailer

I missed the shop today needed to buy a 3000 to 5000 psi pressure gauge for the jack decided i only need 2 jack stands and the one pressure gauge jack and take 3 measurements, it is quiet simple my jacks ram measures 34mm in diameter which is 1.34 inches square u take this number and times it by the psi rating on the jacks pressure gauge and it gives u pounds of weight than just convert to kilos

Really wanted to do it over the weekend but being friday i missed rs online think they closed about 3:30pm tried looking for a gauge to pick up on gumtree but not easy finding that high of a psi range

Hey Dig the hatch above the tank will be removable also it will be constantly aired out as the filler for the tank will protrude into the small bilge pocket where there will be fresh air access, i donno if excess moisture from rain getting into the tank will be a problem but i am hopping it flushes out any salt that may splash in the cavity

Holly molly i just down loaded google earth my boats and trailer stand out like dogs balls i could scan my whole area in 15mins for houses with boats for criminals to possibly steal

Wow that is a bloody shame

That may be how those young guys found my house the other month!

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Holly molly i just down loaded google earth my boats and trailer stand out like dogs balls i could scan my whole area in 15mins for houses with boats for criminals to possibly steal

Wow that is a bloody shame

That may be how those young guys found my house the other month!

Don’t get paranoid Gazza. No one is using google earth to find boats and cars to pinch. It’s not live.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Still has my boat on the drive away from five years ago at my last place.

I missed the shop today needed to buy a 3000 to 5000 psi pressure gauge for the jack decided i only need 2 jack stands and the one pressure gauge jack and take 3 measurements, it is quiet simple my jacks ram measures 34mm in diameter which is 1.34 inches square u take this number and times it by the psi rating on the jacks pressure gauge and it gives u pounds of weight than just convert to kilos
    Don't waste your time and money Gazza your thinking is all wrong.
    Do you really need to weigh anything or is it just a diversion?

Personally I would just go to a weigh bridge, pay my $30 and be done with it, and that would give you your tow ball weight and the other required weights accurately.

theres a weigh bridge 5 mins from your place at the grain silos in the st marys industrial estate
    $24 last time i went there took 5 mins

drive on unhook trailer pull forward go inside get certificate and come back out and hook the car up and go

Fed i bought two 39mm axles before i waste time welding on the brake ears and installing them i want to know the weight of the boat as those 39mm axles will only be rated to 1500kg gtm while the axles are still new i can still get some money back on them to buy 40mm square axles whick will be rated to 2000kg gtm

Google maps shows a car i had 5 years ago in the driveway but google earth shows everything my trailer and two boats

Forgot to add the boat cannot be moved at this point its sotting on the bunks nothing holding it down, the trailer is filled with rust big holes etc.. the tow hitch just sits on the ball it doesnt lock down

Just remembered i had a bunch of oxy gear stored away in the shed i remember there being a set of gauges i just went and checked i think i seen 3 sets of regulators took off a high kpa gauge put it on my pressure jack and it worked, back left of trailer lifted so left side wheels off the ground came in at 5000kpa / 725 psi or 1000kg in weight, square diameter of jack piston is 1.38" × psi = pounds ÷ 2 = kg

Think im in a bit of shit with my trailer design

Worked ot out wrong it came out at 1000lb 450kg my bad cant edit post on mobile