Page 58 of 233 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768108158 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

TIG weld a fuel tank.

plastic is better in every way
    sand grit will cause abrasion
    earthing from the fuel sender causes corrosion
    salt causes corrosion
    water sitting under it or on it will cause corrosion

any older boat i have had with a ally tank has played up eventually

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Couple pics of the tank in position fits like a glove, have not thought much about a filler neck or sender unit i may go without a sender and just use the android app for fuel memory, filler neck can go on the back of the tank if i only go with 1 tank
    You might want the tanks more forward for better weight distribution, especially if you are going to have a 4 stroke motor on the back.

Just made some off cuts of 2.5mm aluminum that my tank is being made from and played around with the welder for 10mins got the settings dialed right in look how she welded a continuous 300mm bead without blowing a hole, the weld is a bit lumpy because of all my tack welds these tack welds are to stop the sheets from pulling apart with the heat as the weld is laid down and blowing holes

I'm running this at 14volts/10 meters a minute wire feed, 2.5mm material,100 percent argon

If i upped my heat input which is voltage to 15volts it was blowing a hole in front of the weld but it would givea more laid down weld appearing but i would rather 14volts

yeah one of my old boats had the alloy tank, as the guys have said they eventually pit and corrode, considering the weight distribution is a unkown could be an idea to stay with plastic fantastic portables, id go out on a limb here and say you could have one 45 litre tank which paired to your 90 hp fourstroke, you comfortably could do .the runs you describe but the maths on fuel burn vs distance should be your starting point.

Alloy tanks will pit and corrode - but installed properly in a well maintained boat will also last a long time. Apart from an initial mishap caused by an over zealous shifter swinger on the day I bought it home, the tank in my last tin rig did 20 years without issue. The tanks in our crew vessel came out for the first time this year - were modified and then went back into service at near on 30 years old. There is also the option of protective coatings - epoxy based two pack paint is a readily available one - to protect it from salt water exposure. The main thing is to make sure it's not in contact with a constantly wet surface. Best way I have seen is to mount it on plastic blocks that are sika flexed to the tank so no water can get between the tank and the block if it is going to sit on a surface. The one in my tinnie was a suspended tank - attached to brackets welded to the floor supports just below floor level - didn't sit on anything as such. Just need to make sure the tank won't flex causing it to work harden and crack if done that way.

Cheers guys that will be something to consider i have also chosen to make a removable hatch over the tank and not entirly ply and glass it in, when i paint the boat in 2k paint i will likely paint the fuel tank too

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Do you plan to pressure test them or get someone to do so? There is a high potention for leaks, especially if you are not used to welding. Perhaps DIY for fuel tanks is not a good proposition.

Or 2 X 25L tanks with handles. They have a small footprint when you stand them upright. I have one which tucks under the gunnel, plus one or two 12L tanks to suppliment the 30L underfloor Sant Marine tank I installed myself.

Hey Bill i'll make a hose connector on the lathe to adapt a bicycle pump to pressure test the tank yo 3psi will leave it under pressure for 1 hour i'm hopping there will be no leaks but if there are i can go back over it or just use it as a water tank

Soapy water spray bottle is your friend Gazza. I did some stainless header tanks a while ago with stick (4mm walls). Ran them up to pressure and sprayed the welds. The leaks blow bubbles pretty readily.

Yeah i'll do that thanks Scottar hopefully i can just zip over any leaks and seal it up i am not to worried about tank appearance

Hey guys i took my mum to hospital a few days ago i live with and care for her she is an elderly lady 65 multiple operations including 2 prostetic hips that have seen her with next to no mobility

Mum just called me to say the dr was just in and her heart is at 10% and her kidneys are at 10% working im shattered

She has no choice but to go on dyalisis my sister is going to talk to me about the situation but it doesnt look good

If my mum passes away i may lose everything as i will have to move to a unit ot flats no where to store the boat, tools, 3 dogs, cars world is crashing around me

I was not happy with how i previously weighed the boat and trailer as the 10 bathroom scales i bought to do the job kept turning off and it was a really poor way of weighing the boat so today i made this little hydraulic jack into a pressure scale to weigh the boat my gauge only goes to 180psi which equates to only .710kg per 1psi so not much at all i just tried using what i had in the shed laying around

obviously the cheap trolley jack lowered to quickly as i was filming only had one hand and it burst in leaks anyhow i will refine it and weld a nut over that filler hole and install a bolt i am trying to source some 1500psi + gauges need 3 of them that equates to just over 1 ton per jack/gauge so i should be able to weigh the whole boat and trailer than work out the mass of steel and end up with a boat weigh

need 2 more jacks so i have 3 in total two at the back and one at the front, if i can find 3000psi gauges cheap that will be a bonus i could possibly weigh close to 6.5 tons for under 100 bucks to set up

Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

You bought 10 sets of bathroom scales.

I bet the shop assistant looked at you strangely. Surely it would be easier to take to weigh bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums