Page 57 of 233 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667107157 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

I’d be considering at least planning for a fitted underfloor tank in the future now while you are rebuilding. Even if you use it for storage at the start you can fit a tank later.

For my build I ordered a 100L sant tank and have pushed this forward under he console to reduce some of the weight at the stern.

You have enough space anyway but cutting down the keel stringer is not a huge issue, this is a point of strength in the hull due to the V shape. Many boats don’t have a keel stringer.

I am contemplating making my own tank now the only problem i have a home made sheet metal bender but it can only bend 450-500mm in width so i would only be able to make a 500x520x200mm tank thats about 55 litres i could make 2 seperate tanks

If i were to do this i would need to cut my keel down but not completely i wouldnt do a v on the bottom of the tank rather a basic rectangle tank

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

You could always take a marked out piece of sheet metal to a metal fabricator and they probably would only charge a couple of bucks per bend, it would save on stuffing around and you would get the size tank you want for not much extra money.

Hey Ed last time i emailed metal bending companies they never get back to me

I could build a bigger bender but its time consuming and cost money

dont ring, just rock up at lunch time with a carton and ask who wants it for a couple of bends .

I've had a new spare genuine honda fuel tank sitting in my spare bedroom for a few years now it came with an old boat purchase and i never used it for anything so i put it inside the big boat tonight for a look to see if portable tanks could be an option for a fuel tank, the first picture the tank fits either as shown or it fits sideways too it is the perfect height it just squeezes in there i notice the measurements on other portable tanks and only one of the Parsun tanks will fit

question is if i go portable tanks should i run 3 under the floor and build some structure around the sides and bottom or run 3 across the back splashwell on top of the floor? they may get kicked around

3 portable tanks limit me to around 22L each so 66L to 90L if i can find 3x 30L portable tanks

if i made my own tank there is no guarantee my welds would be superb lol

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I've had a new spare genuine honda fuel tank sitting in my spare bedroom for a few years now it came with an old boat purchase and i never used it for anything so i put it inside the big boat tonight for a look to see if portable tanks could be an option for a fuel tank, the first picture the tank fits either as shown or it fits sideways too it is the perfect height it just squeezes in there i notice the measurements on other portable tanks and only one of the Parsun tanks will fit

question is if i go portable tanks should i run 3 under the floor and build some structure around the sides and bottom or run 3 across the back splashwell on top of the floor? they may get kicked around

3 portable tanks limit me to around 22L each so 66L to 90L if i can find 3x 30L portable tanks

if i made my own tank there is no guarantee my welds would be superb lol
    Portable tanks should be in a ventilated area, ie not under the floor. If you are rebuilding the boat then I am not sure why you wouldn't want to go to the slightly extra trouble of making a compartment for an underfloor tank. I'd be looking at the Sant Marine range of plastic tanks. They are quite a bit cheaper than a good alloy tank and there is no corrosion or cracked welds to worry about.

Hey Bill Sant Marine was my first look they have nothing over 50 litres for under $500 i dont have that sort of cash some of there tanks were getting up there $800

I may be able to get some coin to buy a sheet of 2mm or 3mm aluminium today just waiting to see.. plan is to build 2 seperate tanks not sure if to go a rectangle or a trapezoidal shaped tank and utilise the v in the hull, reason for 2 tanks is i know my sheet metal bender works but i built it to take a max width sheet of 480mm and the layout i have with my stringers already without touching my keel stringer i can fit 1 tank 570mm wide, 180mm deep, 800mm front to back or split that 800mm into two tanks so i can limit welds by bending the aluminium a bit more work but should be ok
    I have the lathe to make some fuel caps and pipe from billet aluminium

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey Bill Sant Marine was my first look they have nothing over 50 litres for under $500 i dont have that sort of cash some of there tanks were getting up there $800

I may be able to get some coin to buy a sheet of 2mm or 3mm aluminium today just waiting to see.. plan is to build 2 seperate tanks not sure if to go a rectangle or a trapezoidal shaped tank and utilise the v in the hull, reason for 2 tanks is i know my sheet metal bender works but i built it to take a max width sheet of 480mm and the layout i have with my stringers already without touching my keel stringer i can fit 1 tank 570mm wide, 180mm deep, 800mm front to back or split that 800mm into two tanks so i can limit welds by bending the aluminium a bit more work but should be ok
    I have the lathe to make some fuel caps and pipe from billet aluminium

2 mm alloy will be very suceptable to corrosion as well as welds failing. 4 mm makes for a far more durable tank.

Something that needs to be clarified for you QLDers, unless you are a game fisherman, fuel range is not a big deal for us, Snapper, Flathead and so on are probably 15min runs at best, unless you launch way up inside the Harbour or something, for me, Snapper, Kingfish and Flathead would be 5min run tops, maybe 10 if I am fishing deeper water, and a run to the FAD in summer would be 25mins max.

Hey Bill i went with 2.5mm 5005 grade because it needed to be bendable and weldable, i have half a sheet of 4mm already in the shed not a chance on my life on bending that stuff that stuff is so tough would need a 100 ton press to bend it

Noel your right for us its only a quick run if we go out from port hacking in sydney the boat ramp is 3mins from the open water if we go out at botany bay its only a 7km run to outside plenty of fish just outside in nice clean fresh water

i went to capral aluminium and picked up a sheet they were not going to let me tie it to my 1 roof rack and rear wing on the xtrail so the bloke kindly chopped the sheet he asked how many cuts i wanted silly me said only one the overall bent length of the tank which was 148cm i should have gotten him to cut it at 48cm width too because what i found out was my saw hacked it must have a blunt blade well shes cut and bent it will take some fine tuning with the flap disc to get that one cut edge to a neat and tidy open corner weld

this is tank one should work out to be 48 litres per tank if i make two identical tanks i will have 96 litres even if the Mercury is loaded up and has to run wot whats the worse it can chew 1.4kms/L? that's close to 135km's i would never do that in a day

was a pretty decent effort to bend the 2.5mm sheet on my little bender without it being held down by anything but i done it

Last pics for now i need to cut the ends and they need to be cut really precise and i dont think my circular saw blade is up to that task

Couple pics of the tank in position fits like a glove, have not thought much about a filler neck or sender unit i may go without a sender and just use the android app for fuel memory, filler neck can go on the back of the tank if i only go with 1 tank

Did you leave room for the glass Gazza? You also want to make sure that aluminium tanks preferably arent sitting in contact with a surface that can then hold moisture and salt against them - causes them to pit.

Hey Scott i took measurements and was .5cm under but she came out a perfect fit, 2 layers of glass on both side stringers should be 1mm each side my bends are not perfect 90 degrees i need to touch them up and use the square also a bit hard to tell how toght she is because the main seam is still unwelded so the whole tank is generally springing outwards that may be why its a snug fit

This is my first boat build of being up to this stage so glad u guys are looking over what i am doing i had never even thought about the moisture between the tank and stringers just assumed its 'aluminium' and wont degrade

From left stringer to right stringer is i think 575mm my tank is 570x480x180mm so i can still rotate it and have the 480mm going side to side in the 575mm gap but its not how i planned it but no biggy just means i will have to make some kind of fuel tank bracing

Going to run some beads on some off cut in the morning try to find that really sweet spot with the welder