Page 54 of 233 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Not going a head with the pod guys it doesn't measure up on the trailer it would be massive over hang, No more work on the boat being the end of winter our days are heating up super fast and its bloody hot i am a p.... working in hot weather so from here on its wetting a line and reelaxing, treated my self yesterday to a new tool 120 litre air compressor to paint the boat next winter, really hopping once the weather cools down after summer that i can get the stringers finished and get the floor down plus get her painted

Unusual looking compressor, almost looks top heavy?

I would at least be having a crack at getting the stringers sealed Gazza to eliminate any chance of them getting wet due to summer storms.

Ericcs its a tradies designed air compressor long story but this is the one i ended up with

Scott would u finish off the gluing and put down a layer or two of resin to seal the plywood? I havent even really thought about it i only thought about replacing the tarp once or twice thru summer but now u mention it, im not in any kind of mood atm to do any glassing bores the absolute shit out of me hence i havent been doing any work lately

Still have about 6-7 litres of resin that will make about 10 litres of glue

Personally I'd finish the glue and glass them in. Be a shame to have all the work undone and the longer you leave it unsealed the more chance for dirt and shit to get in there then it wont stick properly.

Yeah good idea i never really thought about it being under the tarp i was more worried about mould taking over at the beginning of winter, i'll finish the gluing and put a coat or two of resin on to seal it i guess it would be a lot easier wiping the cured layer of resin than 6 months of dust build up on the bare plywood

Will try do it over the next couple of weeks

Worked out i need enough resin to lay down 15 square meters of woven roving there about's so hopefully ordering 12L of resin next week will hopefully get what i have done so far sealed for summer

Hey Gazza, agree with scottar get it sealed up before you leave it for a period. Also I wouldn’t worry too much about the hotter weather, i’m doing a rebuild in North Queensland and did a heap of work in the summer which is much hotter and more humid than where you are. The work time of the epoxy reduces but you just have to mix smaller batches, no worries.

Crooked i just don't like working in Summer those 40c to 52c days and at night when its 28c at 3am bugger that i sweat like a pig working in the heat i will sweat all over the cloth and i will just run out of energy really fast much better working in winter, can't imagine how quick my resin will go off in Summer on those hot days/nights it gets hot on a 13c day in around 25mins climbing in and out of the boat too up and down a latter when no one else is home is a bit dangerous i do it occasionally but ifi i fell off the ladder i'd be screwed hence i do as big a batch of glue as possible in winter to minimize going up and down the ladder usually around 400 to 450mls

Good time to do work now, not too hot, not too cold, pretty consistent weather for a couple of months, best time of the year, well, except for Autumn which is even better, been doing lots around the house, veggie garden done, some storm water pipe laid, 5 big palms dug out and cut up, near killed the poor old Hilux, I took a load of bricks to the recyclers, just kept tossing them on, one by one, didn't seem too heavy, steering was a bit vague, but not bad, over the weighbridge revealed 1.75 tonne of bricks....ooops. get into it while you can!

1.75T thats a lot of bricks, i have 4 rolls of cloth and 1 roll of mat laying around the house need to unroll it and calculate how much i need to cover the stringers can't afford to be wasting money and sitting on stuff untill next winter letting it all gather dust especially letting epoxy slowly expire

hopping next week i can grab the amount of double bias cloth in 400g i need and the 12 litres of resin plus the accessories like rollers, acetone, rags etc...

really keen to get working again i often slow down and work on other projects i dont devote all my time to one project because it becomes to much mentally and challenging so a bit here a bit there and keep coming back when im feeling active untill shes done is the way its panning out i simply don't have the omph to do one big hoorah hooray and do it all in one go over so many weeks but with the amount of work i do over so many months into the years it gives me something to mentally stay focused on the long term

Crooked i just don't like working in Summer those 40c to 52c days and at night when its 28c at 3am bugger that i sweat like a pig working in the heat i will sweat all over the cloth and i will just run out of energy really fast much better working in winter, can't imagine how quick my resin will go off in Summer on those hot days/nights it gets hot on a 13c day in around 25mins climbing in and out of the boat too up and down a latter when no one else is home is a bit dangerous i do it occasionally but ifi i fell off the ladder i'd be screwed hence i do as big a batch of glue as possible in winter to minimize going up and down the ladder usually around 400 to 450mls
    Not sure on your location but obviously not around her if gets to 52 degrees at your place.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Not sure on your location but obviously not around her if gets to 52 degrees at your place.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    Pretty sure we hit 52 53 every summer in western sydney inner sydney reaches about 48, i just googled they are saying out here has reached 47.3c i can remember days it has been over 50c i think i uploaded pictures somewhere of my car reading 52c maybe because its over the road? i often check my car temp with the local garden centres temp

Pretty sure we hit 52 53 every summer in western sydney inner sydney reaches about 48, i just googled they are saying out here has reached 47.3c i can remember days it has been over 50c i think i uploaded pictures somewhere of my car reading 52c maybe because its over the road? i often check my car temp with the local garden centres temp
    Car temp reading are exaggerated on hot days due to heat radiating from the car.

I lived in Western Sydney for 30 years. Every now and then it gets to 42. Most summer days peak at about 36.

Yeah usually the car temp gsuge is spot on with the local garden centers sign post it has been i think from memory up to 53c

Has anyone used woven roving before? All i have used is double bias, my woven roving is 630grams m2 i am reading it can vary from the 630gram of cloth to 630gram of resin than the american sites are saying the cloth can take 1.75 times in weight thats 1050grams of resin per 1 square meter trying to work out the resin as i dont wanna be left short but dont want to buy to much either cant afford excess as i didnt plan on doing more work right now