Page 51 of 233 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Yep, your call of course Gazza.
    I personally would do as CT said, it's definitely something you could do down the track, when you have more time or energy ???.
    But, it's totally your call, it's your boat.
    I saw a bloke advertising pods of all types here in Melbourne on face book, Did you see his adds Gazza ????.

Col

Hey Noel since i was going to use vinyl ester resin i was going to go 12 layers one each of chopped mat and 630g woven roving it may have needed to be thicker but year a full composite pod no plywood, there are a few on google from shops in australia that make them like this from what i can see there flange is around 12mm thick

Hey Col i seen a guy on facebook in Sydney and a boating gtoup offering the same service glass pods both dont have insurance on there designs i would rather build my own and have it built superior in thickness and quality materials than pay close to $1000 for someone to build me one and have no insurance

The cost for me to 'beef' my design is only $15 per additional layer of glass, i doubt any of these sellers are using expensive cloths its likely a lot of chopped mat but i am only speculating based on there prices

Was going to be built like this Noel but with a internal lip not exteral just so it would clear my stringers and not be bolted on under the floor

This one looks to be about 10mm thick the one i was building would have been a lot thicker

Gazza,
    I used vinylester on my pod and almost all of my rebuild on my cruisecraft. On the cold days I could increase my catalyst ratio above 2% to speed up drying time. On hot days could lower it for the reverse effect unlike epoxy, which is very succeptable to changes in catalyst ratio and with polyester going over 2% made no difference in drying time at all. This was all advice from a professional shipwright friend of mine. 20plus years in the trade..Personally though if I was going to the effort I would be looking at a full flotation pod or employing a marine architect that can tell you what the effect of moving a couple of hundred kgs that much further back on the boat will do. You would be surprised the difference your pod design will make to how your boat sits in the water moving all that weight backwards but not really increasing buoyancy enough to compensate..

Thanks Cox do u have any specs and pics on your pod build? I'm torn between doing one and not doing one keep changing my mind i really want something additional to the boat if i rebuild it just ordinary well i could have just bought obe a year ago ready to fish few a couple of grand

Photo attached. Hopefully it works. Cant remember the exact dimensions. Basically long enough to ensure that when the motor is at full tilt it doesn't collide with the transom. If I didnt have the clinkers I would have extended it right to the sides of the boat but it was easier and saved a lot of time to end it and not have to continue the lines through. Attachment 119726

A pod on a hull like this should 100%, without any compromise be a hull extension not the above water cantilever type.

Gazza dont do what you are thinking, you are going to make this hull ride worse.

Listen to the advise from people here, not just myself. Im pretty sure everyone wants to see you work pay off.

IMO , over and out..

Guys in what way will it make the boat worse off? Those horror stories u hear are of full floatation pods with to much bouyancy pushing the bow down

Can someone show me some links so i can possibly read about it only meed the bad reviews and tendacies, i will run some searches now on what can go wrong

Am reading about some pods porpoising and centre of gravity issues also there is a lot of 5th hand garbage talk my sisters friends brothers cousin had a pod installed etc.... no one is speaking first hand about a non floatational pod they all mention either a pod that is a semi pod running inline with the hull or full transom floatation pods

Other guys were saying the added length helped with offshore riding

The porpoising was supposedly with 2 guys standing in the back corners of the boat hello... engine, 2 blokes at back of boat, 1 midship,fuel...

Its really shit reading those msgs these guys throwing pods onto there boats than expecting to half a ton of weight on the ass end to run like a miricle than bag it out as a bad design than it gets distributed by several people

Can some post actual

*first hand experience* if possible documented here or another forum?

*be a non floatational pod*

*be a smaller pod*

*not follow the hull bottom*

Hey Gazza I put a non flotation pod on a cruise craft reef ranger when I rebuilt it and it was not a success. To much weight overhanging on the back. It would porpoise badly lift the nose when you would take off badly and you could not trim the nose down in bad weather for a better ride. I ended up getting a full flotation hull extension done and this improved it out of site.

610 thanks that is what i want to hear, do u think trim tabs or better weight distribution could have helped like moving the batteries to the front and maybe a fuel tank up inder the floor in a CC could improve it?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I donno guys i had my heart set on the pod.. i just hope its not one of those things i later regret not doing now
    You won’t regret it Gazza. You’ll have a little more cash and time to play with.

Boat will be fine without pod

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Guys in what way will it make the boat worse off? Those horror stories u hear are of full floatation pods with to much bouyancy pushing the bow down

Can someone show me some links so i can possibly read about it only meed the bad reviews and tendacies, i will run some searches now on what can go wrong
    http://microship.com/resources/cg-weight-study.html

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Shakey thanks, i found that link last night i think it may have been member Love80 that previously posted it but i got a little lost reading it i will have another read after i get some sleep

I can put my fuel tank up the front as i have not designed that yet it may counter balance a pod possibly? I still want the pod but i know the guys here are saying dont do it i just dont want a ordinary boat