Page 43 of 233 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748495051525393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Well the 7mm plywood just sitting in the boat is bending i am going to have to reconsider the cabin either go with 12mm plywood which 3 sheets will weigh 60kg plus glue and 2 layers of glass on interior and exterior i will be looking at around the 80kg-90kg cabin weight or i could try scrape some cash together and go with honey comb panel which weighs i think about 1kg a sheet 12mm thick plus glue and glassing should come out around 15-20kg

structural foam cost double to the honey comb panel maybe a bit out of reach

anyone else got idea's?

EDIT: just found this video holly molly chopped mat makes it stiff enough to hold this bloke no way!! he would be 70kg the foam looks to be what we call extruded polystyrene board 2500x1200 sheet is $60 20mm thick which is plenty, i'll pick up some next week if i can and glass it and test it my self

If you can keep the weight to a minimum it will be beneficial to stability.

Yeah i'll make it from 30mm extruded polystyrene bunnings sell the foam

The guy in the video is testing expanded polystyrene basically that white foam everything is packaged in when u buy a new product

The stuff from bunnings is also waterproof might grab a sheet over the weekend and test it and post results

looks the goods, you know the inside wont rot out because its not wood and if for some reason this foam stuff shrinks or degrades over time, which i cant imagine it would, well then you would have a hollow cavity and just inject some kind of goo.

wack enough of this stuff in , you might just have a positive floating added to ya boat , assuming this stuff floats and doesnt absorb.

I would need 6 to 8 sheets about $150-$200 i looked this stuff up its strength is only slightly less than structual divincell

I was just on a web page from epoxy wprks talking about cores and laminates it gave all calculations and said 19mm core only needs 2 layers of 400g cloth they mention by going a thicker core greatly increases the structual strength, the sheets bunnings sell ar 30mm thick

But the downside is once the foam is laminated its prone to dents

Found that link https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php...f-flat-panels/ they say a hard top made from a foam core is ok

Yeah Cat it asorbs 6% of water but it will be sealed with epoxy

Looked into it a bit more and i think i was taking the wrong approach my plan was to build the cabin than glue it while its up than glass it but what i thought about doing was laying my pieces out on the floor when i have it down and laminate each piece on the floor both sides than build it glue it into place than fillet and tab it all in should be a lot easier this way than trying to glass over head

i have been watching some youtube channels of foam core laminates with carbon fiber over them some thin 10mm foam cores are withstanding 101kg of weight before snapping, i think by going 30mm foam is way over board on thickness and would take up cabin space

just put back in the boat what was used before and get it done
    worked for 40 years before you got it didnt it

That would be a bit hard Steve i took the old hard top to the tip over a year ago

I mean the flooring

You need to vacum form most composites to get the resin through the grid honeycomb cloth core whatever

Ah ok i thought one could wet layup carbon fabric?

China is really a man eat man world check this out https://m.alibaba.com/product/607045...4b19284ffEIUHM first time i have ever seen the Chinese compete with each other than compete with our local market on price, this stuff is like minimum $45aud for 1 square meter here in oz

Carbon fibre blocks gps signals bugger so there goes that idea

Chinese got back to me they want $36 a square meter of carbon fibre 12k twill 400g weight ummin and ahhring about the carbon i would need a fish finder with a compatible remote gps i really want the strength of the carbon for the hard top 400g per square meter is as good as 800g fibreglass

Had a lazy day woke up got on the laptop waking up about to kick some ass in boat building 15mins later was back in bed and it was 3:30pm wasted a whole sunny day kind of crap being on medication that controls my sleeping
    Ended up jacking up the trailer tonight in the dark so i am pretty sure the boat is level now as my hull keeps getting water in it cant finish tabbing the transom untill i know she'll be dry than the stringers will be glassed down just one big drawn out plan that is going at snails pace

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Chinese got back to me they want $36 a square meter of carbon fibre 12k twill 400g weight ummin and ahhring about the carbon i would need a fish finder with a compatible remote gps i really want the strength of the carbon for the hard top 400g per square meter is as good as 800g fibreglass

Had a lazy day woke up got on the laptop waking up about to kick some ass in boat building 15mins later was back in bed and it was 3:30pm wasted a whole sunny day kind of crap being on medication that controls my sleeping
    Ended up jacking up the trailer tonight in the dark so i am pretty sure the boat is level now as my hull keeps getting water in it cant finish tabbing the transom untill i know she'll be dry than the stringers will be glassed down just one big drawn out plan that is going at snails pace
    How many square metres do they want you to buy for that price? My mate found a great deal on a leather couch he just had to buy 8....

Matt

Personally I wouldn't bother with Carbon Fibre Gazza. My take on it when doing research was that while it is a stronger fibre, the lay up ended up more prone to breakage if there was any flexing and unless you are using vacuum forming techniques you really aren't gaining anything much besides cost as far as weight reduction. My hard top came to me as a glass skin about 5mm thick with what looked like a single layer of core mat in the lay up. Once I had glassed in a single 12mm layer or foam using a micro balloon slurry and a single layer of 300gsm chopped strand over the top (on the underside) using vinylester, with the curve in it is as stiff as it needs to be.