Page 41 of 233 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

All stringers have been cut now a big cleaning job than i will glue each one down maybe one or two a day and let it cure, the stringers are not supported very well in the pictures but just laid up for a picture i will reinforce the braces before i glue them down

Awesome Gazza, luvin ya progress, you have more Kahuna's than me, I just couldn't bring my self to doing the transom and stringers myself,, Mind you after all the shite I experienced I now wish I did give it ago.
    Hey, as you said, stay in shallow water for your first run, no more than 30 meters, and just chuck a 50 meter rope on ya outboard .
    All will be good, I'm sure Gazza........

Col

Haha Hey Col its a bloody massive job its a huge boat but i am making progress slowly, i'm sure the transom will be ok but there is no gurantees as i have never fibreglassed before so will see lol i plan on taking the boat out for a quick 5-10min run than back on the trailer and pull her out to look for any cracks i was hopping to get my big drone up in the air once shes finished so i can get some aerial photography of first run

The whole boat rebuilding process is very long but i am taking it bit by bit and doing what i can each winter i am pretty sure i'll have the floor down this winter and possibly have the hard top up but unsure if i will get that finished in the cooler months

I'm hearin you Gazza, Mines been off the water for so long now, I try to look away from it when I go to my factory !.
    But, a little bit at a time and she will get done. I've actually put a time frame down for my now, I want to have all the internal stuff finished and ready for wiring come summer, then have it in for a new canopy and clears, all done by Xmas, Then I can start looking seriously at getting sorted for the new 4 stroke in the new year. For me, work and other projects seem to take over at times, so with most of all the other stuff near done, I can start getting some more time in on the boat. I honestly thought when I started to strip mine down, I would have it back on the water in 6 odd months, that was a joke.
    But in all honesty, I was spending that much time fishing for quite a few years, other things got put by the way-side, so it has been a sort of blessing in disguise in some ways. Keep up with everything Gazza, it will be worth the trials and tribulations at the end of it.........

Col

Hey Col i started out with a plan of 5 years to do the full reno i hope its done in a lot less time its pretty hard for me to do any work in 50c temps i donno how shops do it without the resins going off super fast i just sweat looking at the boat so all my work is thru the cooler months come the warmer months im to busy wetting a line love fishing

Getting a bit a head of my self guys but since i will be using epoxy resin for my stringers will i need to use epoxy paint to paint under the floor? this whole rebuild is a process of research so i need to look into it so far i have seen a lot of guys use gel coat or flow coat under the foor but to my understanding gel and flow coat are polyester based (i think) which i also think wont stick to epoxy... still researching this, what about 2k water based paint? i done my transom in AquaCoat 2k paint but i want to use something different next time a proper marine 2k paint, i liked the AquaCoat but the paint was very thin and no gloss i want a really high glossy paint to help hide imperfections because i am not a perfectionist

when i get around to painting the hull i am going to do a real spec'y job i think, the lower hull will be white the cabin will be white all high gloss 2k paint down the side will be maybe a marone a sky blue or a yellow with metal flakes i really want the metal flakes in the paint

i am pretty good spray painter i pained a motorcycle fairing some years ago using a acrylic paint and got zero orange peel it looked f...... unreal the paint was gloss off the gun and to a really nice finish it looked incredible but i will need a new air compressor tho mine is on its way out

really want to use 2k or 2 pack paint that is water based but really need to find one that is safe to spray without the iso i have sprayed 2 pack regular ISO paint years ago and today still crap my self thinking what a idiot one risk i took i never want to repeat

Not sure if you've seen BoatworksToday on YT but he has a fair few vids on the technicalities of glasswork, including gelcoat to epoxy bonding.

Thanks Morp i was on his channel last night but couldnt navigate could only see about 9 videos, will watch that now

Ok he used gel coat i wonder if i use 2k paint for under the floor do i need under coat?

As long as everything is sealed under the floor with epoxy then thats it, you're done. Paint only makes it pretty. My theory is old boats were flowcoated everywhere to help cover up shitty choppergun glass work and hopefully seal up any missed areas. Some old boats just had flowcoat over stringers and no glass!

That's it. Only paint where you need it to look pretty.. Otherwise it's a waste of time, money and effort..

Thanks guys i was going to paint it all

Cant work this out guys is a 1 pack polyurethan still a carcinogen just like the ISO 2 pack paint? Tried googling and looking at msds sheets but cant understand it i was under the assumption only 2 pack paint had to be sprayed in a booth

There is a guy on gumtree selling Crystal Paints but it says its a special 1 pack paint that doesnt use a under coat its cheap paint would fit my budget about $120 4L anyone used it before?

anything with a solvent is a carcinogen

why go to all the effort just to put a "wonder" paint on

Post the MSDS.