Page 36 of 233 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041424344454686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post

... this dust is so light ot must be shitting a few neighbors off ...
    I make my own surfboards. Sanding them creates a nice dust storm which my neighbours cope depending on wind direction.

Between the dust and resin fume smell, they all know when I'm making another board.

I've spoken to them all, before they moved in and told them I do it. I also text them when I'm starting a new board so they can make sure their house is locked up and washing off the line etc.

Shes ready for glassing in the stringers but i haven't made those yet, next step is making the jig, hard to take clear pics with the low sun in the afternoons

Hoping to get my stringers and floor down this winter, than depending on time if i have any left i will work on the new design guys I'm going a hard top cabin just because i fish a lot in all weather from sunny glassed out days to hailing golf balls, i think with a centre console i will have no protection although i love the idea of a centre console i need practicability too the cabin u can privately chuck a shit in there too without the boat next to ya whistling at ya hanging ass over side of boat, the cabin i can also sleep in which i often do when my mates want to pull a all nighter

this is the design i am going for old picture just edited, added a pod too for every 30cm the pod goes back the engine is raised 50mm so if i make the pod around 60cm the long shaft engine will be raised 100mm should be enough clearance as not to go under, there wont be any crazy reverse driving chasing marlin to sink the engine

tried to get a hand just now to go to bunnings to pick up some timber for the jig of hull but no one available to lend a hand

cabin will likely be made from 9mm plywood, filleting all joints, one layer of double bias one layer of woven roving on the outside and on the inside to keep it light, windscreen will likely be 2 or 3mm tinted perspex bolted on the outside, there may be additional bracing in the inside using 40x40mm pine but unsure as to what sizes yet still way of on doing the cabin

pod will be built like a brick toilet likely from vinylester or epoxy, 25mm plywood with a doubler to 50mm, laminate will likely be something really stupidly thick mixes of double bias and woven roving if i use vinylester i'll add in chopped mat between layers, pod will be built from the bottom up than capped and outside insanely glassed

i think having a boat with protection from the elements is great. especially south of sydney, more swell, and spray, even the wind can be cold on those foggy morning when snapper fishing gets a man out of bed. i hated the cross spray coming at me in my centre console. liking the cuddy hardtop design your got going on and a hard top roof is awesome. and yet all that room still to walk a fish around. also gets all your electrics out of the salt air spray too.

thats all you need , get some perspex cut to shape and bolt them on.......the cuddy cabin area are you thinking a walkaround to access bow or join the cuddy to side coamings like traditional. now you got somewhere to bolt some nav lights and whip antenna...

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    i think having a boat with protection from the elements is great. especially south of sydney, more swell, and spray, even the wind can be cold on those foggy morning when snapper fishing gets a man out of bed. i hated the cross spray coming at me in my centre console. liking the cuddy hardtop design your got going on and a hard top roof is awesome. and yet all that room still to walk a fish around. also gets all your electrics out of the salt air spray too.
    Cat i went out with mates off Botany Bay last winter i thought once the sun was up it would be fine, wearing trackies and a jumper, sun up, the easterly just blew strait thru us absolutely froze our asses off could not believe that day it was only about 15c but felt like 5c with the sun out done absolutely nothing for us i think i was sitting in a ball most of the day trying to retain some warmth vowed never to go out on a day like that again

this was in a Quintrex Freedom Sport Bow Rider little protection from the wind but boat was side ways in the wind

i think the cabin would help a lot as i use to do a bit of fishing on the hawkesbury river we would pull all nighters in low temps middle of winter anyone that knows the HR once the sun goes down past the mountains its freeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing

only thing stopping progress at the moment is getting the 6 meter long lengths of timber home for the jig work on the boat will resume shortly

Cat I'm liking that second picture with more aired out cabin for those stinking hot 50c days when its really humid and muggy but also the cabin provides protection in the colder months as u mentioned from the spray

cant ya knock up a ladder rack that plugs into your towball square , assuming your got roof racks, ......bunnings uses subcontractor rigid trucks to do deliverys....what about your boat registed boat to carry the timber

the cabin will be great. with regard to weight, will your new fitout be heavy compared to the old cabin, something to think about ..

That old cabin top that came off the boat was a solid 8mm thick laminate and it had real glass windows that were 4mm thick and bloody heavy the whole roof would have weighed around 60 to 100kg

The new roof i would estimate to weigh about 25kg absolute max

Yeah i can use my small boat i still need a mate to lend a hand loading and unloading the timber, im looking at about $150 delievered or $55 picked up from a different factory trying to save a few pennies but i am almost about to just pay the money and be done with it

I picked up a set of roof racks tonight.off a local couple from Gumtree $30 Thul brand or something like that the guys wife said they came on there bew car and they had no idea what the roof racks were used for

If i get time tomorrow i will be picking up the timber one at a time

Cat the Bunnings here have hire utes for $25 an hour but there is a catch there timber cost $10 per meter same stuff is on Ebay for $5 a meter a bit of coin to save when u need 10 meters

Having now moved into a cabin boat and taking it on colder waters than Botany Bay, I can confirm that you will appreciate the shelter. Mind you it's looking like 24c on the weekend, hard to pass up - cabin with clears or not!

ya laughing then at that weight of the roof, 25 kgs, your design reminds me part barcrusher with the sharp cuddy top, so i guess you will knock up the ply, glass it and then flow coat it?, or do you paint it?
    yeah the old windows etc would have been a bit of weight
    will look a mean beast in the end

Something is always getting in the way had to take my mum to the drs today so no timber its starting to get annoying just getting this timber, had to work on my mums car yesterday suppose to be a tough holden, filled with electronics

Ray wish i was heading out on the weekend i got two bummed boats but hopefully nothing pops up and i can keep going with the big boat

I really want these stringers and floor done this winter so its sealed off from the elements if one of my dogs chew the tarp ropes again

Hey Cat just seen your post, yeah the old cabin u can imagine was built very strong my new canin will be built rather with braces instead of one whole huge thick laminate over the entire roof, as a guess my cabin will probably weigh around as much as the windows combined donno what that glass was made from i have only ever moved fish anks and mirrors etc.. never felt a piece of glass so heavy

The new cabin wont be built for sitting on top of as u can imagine kids in the 1970's doing that on the original cabin but i need light in mind when building but enought strength to whitstand towing at 100kph and some hail storms

Just thinking about it being outside 15k out around the fads and it hails on a centre console we would just have no protection

I got the idea from a mix of boats kind of like the Surtees, Bar Crusher and Quintrex Yellowfin just i could never in my wildest dreams afford a $75,000 boat so i'll build one like it lol

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Something is always getting in the way had to take my mum to the drs today so no timber its starting to get annoying just getting this timber, had to work on my mums car yesterday suppose to be a tough holden, filled with electronics

Ray wish i was heading out on the weekend i got two bummed boats but hopefully nothing pops up and i can keep going with the big boat

I really want these stringers and floor done this winter so its sealed off from the elements if one of my dogs chew the tarp ropes again
    If you can't get out on the weekend, and no mates are going out... well this is what it will probably be like (not a million miles from where you are...)

IMG_1275.jpg