Page 35 of 233 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585135 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

175 hp with a foil. the baron must be heavy

Im being told my boat is a Caribbean Sea Camper 207, The Baron was a later model runabout not a half cabin but who really knows there is next to no info out there

Cat he said it gets up and flies with the 175hp on it lol

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    okey dokey so thats a baron, never seen the baron before, i can tell you that is batemans bay boat ramp as well
    Hanging Rock, across from the Catalina Club!

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    Hanging Rock, across from the Catalina Club!
    Yep, of all the ramps out there, it had to be my local!

Wouldn't mind betting I've seen it some time through the years.

Quote Originally Posted by RayLamp View Post
    Yep, of all the ramps out there, it had to be my local!

Wouldn't mind betting I've seen it some time through the years.
    its a fantastic protected ramp for sure. My local was Tomakin/Mossy Pt.!

Old mate had the boat for sale a few months ago his asking price was $35,000 boat is probably only worth $15,000 but it must have sentimental value to the owner

as for my boat my stringer i cut is a wright off to much mould on the ends and its delaminating i am going to buy a couple sheets of imported marine grade plywood in 25mm i will try cut shape and seal them within a few days of picking up the plywood to stop any mould reoccurring

didn't realize i paid $88 for a sheet of D grade exterior plywood with putty on it and the plywood has hairy surface could have bought A grade marine plywood for $110 a sheet.... u really need to shop around for the best in cases like this unfortunately i over paid for crap lucky i didn't glass it in

Some supplies a full roll of 600g woven roving 25kg, 20x 5:1 mixing cups, 10 plastic mixing sticks all up cost $65 the roll of woven roving was on special $51 couldnt believe it but i think its imported from India by the local supplier

Suprised to see how plyable the woven roving is compared to stitched double bias this roving is very soft it just rolls around your finger where as the double bias 800g was like thick carpet

Gazza just a tip I use with the mixing cups. I tend to go through a lot and had varying success trying to crack the dried epoxy from the used cups, they usually just shatter. So I bought some disposable clear plastic drinking cups from a hospitality shop, $5 for 50 or so. Then cut the bottom and top rim from one so it fits nicely over another. Then pour in say 125ml of water (5x25ml) and mark a line on the sleeve you made, then pour in another 25ml and mark. So you then have a mark for your epoxy and for hardener at 5:1. You can do additional marks in the same way for more epoxy eg a mark at 250ml and then another at 300ml etc etc. Then just slide the sleeve off for reuse, for other ratios just adjust the volumes.

I think I saw the idea on the web somewhere. Those other cups are only a $1 or so but if you use lots it adds up. I do still have some of those for when I mix up qcells and stuff as they have more volume, the other disposable cups are only 600 ml or so.

Thats a nifty trick Crooked, these cups and mixing sticks cost $15 together for 20 cups 10 sticks i dont mund paying that i think i went thru 25 cups doing my transom being a bit anal about older resin mixed up 30-40mins before than pouring fresh resin into the same cup i mostly used a fresh cup each mix

Finally took the bathroom scales out to the shed i have 9.95kg of resin plus hardener so probabl about 10kg of resin left without the plastic containers

This means my transom used somewhere around 10kg to 12kg of resin for 9 layers 2 square meters per layer of 450g double bias cloth and 1 layer of 800g double bias cloth or rug u could call it that works out about 9kg of resin i than faired with the resin and wasted some left over in cups and paint trays

My neighbors must be getting the shits with the sound of the grinder going continuously and fibreglass grinding going all over their cars and in house windows and crap, Glad its done now i just need to sweep, vacuum, wipe down than vacuum again than shes ready to put up on the straight stand/jig

this ongoing process of rebuilding a boat surely is not easy but it kind of feels rewarding even tho i seem to be making little progress each day

today i ground down the last bit of the tabbing along the old stringers, sanded down 75mm on each side of stringers and cleaned it all up its just a mess no pictures yet as everything is covered in sanding dust

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post

... its just a mess no pictures yet as everything is covered in sanding dust
    C'mon, work in progress shots count too.

Especially the neighbours car!

Ah, i dont even wanna go over their they.live 2 doors away but this dust is so light ot must be shitting a few neighbors off and old mate 2 doors away washes and polishes his cars a few times a week

I have looked into getting a vacuum attachment for the grinder but none work for my purpous

I remember when I did my cat, I did most of the dirty work in 3 full days, but I had a helper, a pro shop would probably do it in half the time, even though I knew how the fuel tanks were put in, I was still crapping myself cutting the floor above them, once all the really shit work (grinding old stuff out) it was pretty simple stuff putting it all back together again.

I cut thru my hull in a few spots near the front of a stringer i had been so delicate up untill that moment was just a rough day now need to repair it

My fuel tank will be going under the splash well just to less complicate the rebuild, i dont plan on running big tanks maybe 80L 10L reserve jerry can for those days im outside and the fishing is good

Once the floor is down and i have some structure to the boat i plan on cutting out the intire splash well and designing a new onethat is higer off the floor for a taller fuel tank to git in there without kicking it each time getting out.live bait

Seriously thinking about cutting out my bow too making it into a full walk up front that should be a quick job tho, cut sand back, glue in 4mm flexible plywood in the shape of the gunnel, glass and be done