Page 31 of 233 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Sent off 3 emails 1 replied with stringers $6000, floor $3000 i was thinking stringers much less than this it has just been on my mind if i do the stringers they might all be uneven and i dont want the floor to bow in or out

Gazza,
    If you braced the boat in the right places before you cut your old stringers and bulkheads out then it should be fine with no bulges..

Cox as it sits is how i got it mate the floor looks to have been torn up long ago and the stringers were left to deteriate in the eliments so basically there were no stringers

Just carry on, you have done the transom which is a lot harder than stringers and floor, at least you are working "downhill" now, not vertical.

True Noel i asked about this on a FB group and one bloke said his stringers are all over the place at all different levels that is what i am having a nightmare amount hence i wanted a shop to do it

It's not that hard, you will just have to cut them to fit, before you fully glass them, put a straight edge over the top, some variation will not matter, because the "bog" you put on the top to fit the floor will take up any gaps, and if any are way too high, just plane them off with an electric plane.

I think i over think many things and everything that can go wrong, Sounds easy like that Noel but I'm sure its a lot harder will see I'm going to try put some spare time into cleaning the hull out

absolutely f..... up big time on the transom used the wrong plywood i left the transom cut out laying on the grass the whole lot has fallen to pieces ah well i guess my first transom job and i am learning

the stringer i have a ready cut is good plywood i had some offcuts sitting out in all the elements for months now and its like i had just cut it, no delamination so i will return to this shop for plywood for the rest of the stringers

Get your hands on a laser level, set it up and mark off where everything has to be around the boat.

gazza when you say you used the wrong ply for the transom are you saying the work you have done on it is now stuffed ? or have I read that wrong.

As to your stingers they are not hard to do. Just get the profile right and leave green on your height and glue them in. As Scott has said use a level and if you don't have access to a dumpy or laser you can just use a water level which is a 3/4 clear hose filled with water. Works a treat as we level up 100 ft boats using them. All you need is a datum mark and away you go and just as Noelm said just plane them down or get the jigsaw out.

Once you get started you will wonder what you were worried about and glassing will be easy. As you know it's very time consuming and this is why getting someone to do it will cost you. They will do it much quicker then you but it still takes hours of work. Keep at it you will get there.

I hope I read your post wrong about the transom.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Get your hands on a laser level, set it up and mark off where everything has to be around the boat.
    Will see if i can get one but not actually sure hot to use one

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    gazza when you say you used the wrong ply for the transom are you saying the work you have done on it is now stuffed ? or have I read that wrong.

As to your stingers they are not hard to do. Just get the profile right and leave green on your height and glue them in. As Scott has said use a level and if you don't have access to a dumpy or laser you can just use a water level which is a 3/4 clear hose filled with water. Works a treat as we level up 100 ft boats using them. All you need is a datum mark and away you go and just as Noelm said just plane them down or get the jigsaw out.

Once you get started you will wonder what you were worried about and glassing will be easy. As you know it's very time consuming and this is why getting someone to do it will cost you. They will do it much quicker then you but it still takes hours of work. Keep at it you will get there.

I hope I read your post wrong about the transom.
    It's a big f... up by me Brett but not a total loss of work and money i just need to keep the transom dry and sealed so i will only be drilling engine mounting holes nothing else, i used plywood that has regular glue i thought from my research i was using the water and boil proof glued plywood but what i used was moisture resistant glued plywood so if i get any water in my transom it will end the life of the transom pretty quickly

but in saying that if the transom last 1 to 2 years of service i would be happy with that i have learnt so much about fibreglassing i would actually remodel the whole rear end of the boat if i need to do another transom but for now i will see how this job pans out

Was out there today pulled the tarp off and cleaned up one stringer still amazes me how this boat even held together the amount of dry chopped mat on the front half of the boat was more than the wetted out chopped mat and all the dry stuff was right along the crest behind the stringer either that had a boss chewing there ass out on a time crunch or the old timers were sparing with resin i donno but wow what a really shit job

spent 1.5 hours cutting, grinding and sanding back the last bit of the stringer walls i don't get the old timers style of lay up they went ok with the fillet than they jammed on the chopped mat thick around the fillet than they only ran 1 layer of chopped mat over the top of the stringer

there was a lot of dirt to be sanded out of the stringer area looked as if it were mud in there at one time

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    It's a big f... up by me Brett but not a total loss of work and money i just need to keep the transom dry and sealed so i will only be drilling engine mounting holes nothing else, i used plywood that has regular glue i thought from my research i was using the water and boil proof glued plywood but what i used was moisture resistant glued plywood so if i get any water in my transom it will end the life of the transom pretty quickly

but in saying that if the transom last 1 to 2 years of service i would be happy with that i have learnt so much about fibreglassing i would actually remodel the whole rear end of the boat if i need to do another transom but for now i will see how this job pans out
    The other stuff still rots Gazza. Just make sure you seal any timber when you do drill holes with something like Everdure.

Yeah Scottar it was a mistake using that MR1 glue plywood instead of the WBP glue plywood, the only holes i will be drilling/drilled are the bung holes which have been filled back in with epoxy resin and talc the only other holes i will be drilling are the engine mounting holes and one splashwell hole all will be back filled with resin and either the pre made epoxy cream glue or some epoxy with sawdust

i bought a 25kg bag of talc and the shit went everywhere literally i was a bit wreckless with it too mixing on the grass i didn't think of any complications but later started having nasal problems and breathing difficulty i came to the thinking my dog that lives in side has carried the talc inside on the furniture and i possibly have breathed it in, i was at the hospital the other day visting family and i got in the lift and it was packed a muslim women squeezed in front of me and was pretty much standing on top of me and i was snorting from my nasal problem she got out of the lift going off her head because i sounded like a pig i didn't mean it

have been to see the dr but he doesn't want to do anything about anything really, i had the flu a month or so ago when i posted those fishing videos my mates said i was snorting all day lie a pig i coudn't help it the only thing i can think of is the talc powder i know it can contain asbestos too hence im going to use sawdust

I think talc is pretty harmless, unless you get it in big doses I guess