Page 28 of 233 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Will know in another 3 hours if the resin went off fingers crossed it may be messy trying to wipe all uncured resin off lucky i didn't put to much on

on another note that splashwell has been bugging the shit out of me for months and months now i just don't know how to glass the gap from front to back so what i may do is leave my top sides of the gunnels on and cut out the entire splashwell and redesign my own from scratch this will likely include a bait tank and maybe a nice long above floor kill tank not sure yet i have ideas in my head i am tinkering with

just my old splashwell is so flimsy and 4mm thick its not adding any structural strength, the new splashwell will be built from 12mm plywood either a full side to side splashwell or i may add in a seat on either side undecided yet need to do some drawings

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Think i ...... up i just made up a glue fairing mix of talc applied it to fill the cloth over the transom cap and its pissing down raining 1 hours after i finished i have a tarp over the boat but there are small holes on top of the transom, this shit never ends i wish this rain would go away it has been raining five to six weeks now
    I feel for you Gazza. It's bad enough even though I can get the cars out of the garage and work there. Every time I start mixing glass, it comes over cloudy and the temps drop - shit takes for ever to go off.

Scottar it has been rain for weeks now it just buckets down my whole lawn stays soaking wet so i really cant do any work i do have a huge tarp over the boat that measures 7x5.5m but the transom is tricky because its on the outside of the hull where all the wet damp air is from the grass and sloshy mud i just need the rain to go away so i can mow me lawns and power on

To date my resin has all cured but im not to sure about todays progress there was a break in the weather about 3pm so i got stuck in than a storm hit about 5:30pm i just cannot get rid of this rain wish i had a triple car garage haha than it would be a breeze but yeah i am trying to make the most of what i have

Just checked the resin from today and it cured in the huge storm and humidity

thats lucky , setbacks p#ss you off . they give me the sh*ts.

I just need to sand the transom, Seal it than its ready for paint be interesting to see how my sanding skills fared the transom i don't expect it to be 100 perfection may see some high and lows...

still need to vacuum the entire inside of the boat before i even think about finishing off the tabbing on the lower and sides of the transom

rebuilding a boat only putting in 1 to 3 hours each day i get to work on it is painfully slow progress but i am slowly moving forward, once I'm inside the boat it should be ok as long as the weather is cool enough to work i will work into the night will need to set up some string led lighting

honestly its still far far away but i will be very happy once the floor is down

She's now getting painted first layer of undercoat on the transom, i tried a mohair roller because i had them it didnt work to well i had to use a paint brush to paint it on really thick this paint is runny and translucent maybe because it is water based 2 pack paint I'm not sure, the undercoat came in A and B fifty percent of each to be mixed i made up 400mls used around 320mls i will give it another coat of undercoat than i will let it cure and be ready for a sand, instructions say i have up to five days to sand before the paint becomes incredibly hard to sand due to it being 2 pack

Got 3 layers of undercoat on last layer went on about two thirty this arvo i was feeling tired so pulled the tarp down as it was going to rain than went inside fell a sleep just woke up went to check on the boat a couple of bugs stuck to the paint and my tarp was also stuck ahh the outdoor shit fight!!! nothing is easy repairing boats out in the open elements but ah well undercoat needs to be sanded they recommend sanding with 80 grit on the orbital so this paint must be bloody strong!!!!!

top right corner of transom is a indication of how the coats went on, i need to apply 2 coat of top coat once the undercoat is cured and sanded smooth, the topcoat i will do on a superb day when its sunny and no rain

quiet impressed at how this BoatCoat paint filled in my imperfections it has actually made my transom look like a professional job haha

Transom layout fella's tinkering with some idea's since this is my dream boat build i would love all these compartments installed

what ever you do just be concerned with weight firstly

unless your going to get that fuel tank up amidships you probably wont be able to install anything in the rear
    its not a modern hull design configured to hold a heavy engine and all the crap they stick down the back these days.

Hey Steve i am actually worried about not having enough weight in the boat i have removed quiet a fair amount of old weight from the old original hard top and the thick heavy real glass windows

that splashwell built as pictured would probably weigh fifty kilos the fuel tank will be around fifty litres, the new hard top cabin if i do it will add about sixty kilos to the front

I just used 240 grit on the orbital on highest speed damn this paint is tough i barely knocked the streaks out of it from the paint brush but i got it down enough to put on one layer of top coat shes looking bloody unreal i done a micky mouse job, all them sleepless nights and thoughts about how the transom would turn out were for nothing

Hey guys u may have noticed the V on my transom looks different from side to side different angles this is just an optical illusion something to do with the lens on the Samsung phone they are both cut equally i had to go recheck this afternoon haha

for anyone just dropping into my thread here is the clips of the rebuild from the beginning play some music while your watching the videos, a lot of chopping and changing idea's as i am going along if i still have this laptop or a way of saving all my pictures when i finish the rebuild i will compile one whole video start to finish of what i end up with

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

good stuff , hard work reaps the reward. thanx for showing the paint you used, so it was hard sanding it , must be good stuff. so is that the final layer or do you add some clear coat or sealant. or just finish with a polish.

Not to sure cat from my understanding this was the last to go on i hope i dont need clear because i never bought any, the paint is very tough and its suppose to go really strong unsandable after 5 days curing