Page 26 of 233 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Hey Cox we went down the thermolite road at the beginni g of the thread i would have loved to use it but doing my transom along would have cost around $1000 in thermolite alone another $1000 for epoxy and cloth 2k in just the transom was over spending on the old girl
    Thay thermolite is really pricey stuff

Still unable to glass untill the rain is gone today i needed to go get some bolts for a flywheel puller so i had another look at the timber as i can only look for now no where to store 6 meter length out of the rain, i seen two types of treated pine it was not light but not heavy either i than looked at the LVL laminated vainer lumber and that stuff does look really good and its really heavy but its almost double the price of the pine, than i seen some Merbau i didn't get the price as they didn't have 290-300mm material but the Merbau Noel mentioned is heavy as anything that stuff was incredibly heavy obviously its going to be super strong so my options are open again do i cheap out and go pine do i go all out on merbau or do i try the LVL stuff, a few pieces of the pine were warped, split in half or edges taking off by knocking them around or the saw

that merbau was dark as too i think it may be marine grade hardwood it looked like a serious bit of timber but i would be worried about weighing to much in the boat

pine will split, warp, and twist stretching your overlayed glass....Merbau is a rainforest wood from indonesia, i think it has a weakness in it splits easy with movement, and it bleeds when wet ... LVL in your best bet , strong ,rigid,heavy.......the warehouse called Meyer timber in penrith is made only of this and is about 150 mtrs long by 80 mtrs wide and the only thing holding that roof up is LVL supported by 6 uprights.

Yeah i think i will use the LVL i am not convinced tho with unknown glue used i will have to seal it once i shape it and it looks like it will absorb a ton of resin, i plan on installing the keel stringer in two pieces still not sure on how to join the two pieces either a simple 45 degree cut would be the easiest however i am meant to do 10-1 or 12-1 scarf joint which will take some time i donno if the glue will chew up the blade on the planer

Most long sections are just butt joins with a piece either side of the join about 300mm long.

Noel do i put the bracing piece on before or after i glass? the LVL at Mitre 10 is only $108 but i have to remove the yellow paint the stuff at Bunnings is plain but cost $200

Bending over for 2 hours grinding than sanding with a flap disc is punishing work today i cleared away old paint, dirt and top layer of glass than gave the middle of the boat a vacuum

had a cutting disc on the grinder going full bore when i thought i would reach forward grab the front most bulkhead and rip it back end up hitting the cutting disc with my thumb didn't hurt untill i was washing my hands

the middle of the boat is prepped now i just need to buy my keep stringer, cut it to shape and glue into place more pictures coming as i progress, i left around 100mm each side of the stringer to glass down

i put a layer of resin over my transom cut to seal it i will cap that of when i can

the hard top looks really nice my mates are saying it looks like a bar crusher i'm yet to decide if i will build a aluminium hard top cabin if i build the cabin i will need to buy a mig welder as i suck at tig on alloy and it will take me forever to weld all those seams, was thinking about getting the unimig mig razor weld 175

You could always go foam sandwich Gazza - unless you really want to shout yourself that new welder

Just a little worried about the foam core structure Scottar say for instance driving down the motorway doing 100kph someone in front has a blow out big chunk of rubber flies up and hits canopy and pieces of laminated foam fly off thru someones windscreen, just thinking about liability if i done the hard top it will be from 3mm 4mm alloy probably quicker doing it from alloy but undecided yet

go the hard top, looks better, you will feel better and be protected, will look smick and should be fairly easy to retrofit , you certainly have the skills and thinking to do it. shout yourself that mig.

I could probably build it from stitch and glue plywood core that is pretty strong but i think i am truly over sanding filler

Bought myself a new welder lol found one that welds aluminium here https://sydneytools.com.au/product/i...gasless-welder i dropped in late this afternoon as one of the closes stores were closing

Don't forget you need pure gas to weld aluminium, not like steel, and your torch and hose need to be pretty straight or the aluminium wire will kink and jam inside.

Yeah i have a bottle i own of argon Noel i have a AC/DC Tig welder but it would take me forever to weld that hard top as i weld slow, this mig welder can take a spool gun its an attachment gun that houses the roll of wire up in the hand piece its specifically designed for welding aluminium but for now i only bought the welder i will try as u say Noel and use the gun that came with it to weld the aluminium i just need to change the liner to teflon

its just a cheapie i have actually never seen a brand new under $300 welder in Australia that can weld aluminium, duty cycle (amount of time u can weld to rest time) is poor, to weld aluminium u need around around 130 amps that's where it starts for welding 3mm material this machine is only 140 amp machine so i can weld for 1 minute and let it cool down for 9 minutes every10 minute cycle but because its mig i should get around 15cm welds each minute

Couple of welds with the new welder $299 well spent, welded hard top wont look pretty because its mig welds but its common in the industry to grind down and round off the welds for a smooth seamless finish