Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

I'll make the pockets, how high should they be? Since i will need to bend the plywood to the curve do u think 6mm ply would be enough?

Need to work out how to get a sheet home

The pockets are a very good thing. Here’s a photo of mine with an oar for size comparison. Note that there is a lip underneath where you can put your toes when fishing, it does help.

Also, perhaps drill some holes in your current structure so that you can put rods or gaffs in them.

2A80DBB7-ECC9-4AAB-8C27-953CE83955A7.jpg

That looks awesome Ray i think i'll do mine from the floor just so i dont have to add a shelf

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    That looks awesome Ray i think i'll do mine from the floor just so i dont have to add a shelf
    I think you will be sorry when you can't put your feet under the pocket's.

I understand that it would be easier to build it to the floor, but I reckon it wouldn’t take too much more to make space for your toes. I was very appreciative of it yesterday and you will thank yourself if you do it, especially when you’re fighting a big kingy!

the lip doesn’t need to be big. But with it you can stand flush to the side of the boat and support yourself. I fished off a polycraft fighting some decent tropical species and that boat didn’t have space for your toes. Sounds like a small thing but it ends up being so valuable if you have them.

5511021A-83DF-41CA-854A-976171E6EC5B.jpg

00DE4056-9EAD-4D7C-A634-3554DAE20DBC.jpg

The problem is trying to fibreglass under there it will be a nightmare to glass and sand than to paint its just to much work

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    The problem is trying to fibreglass under there it will be a nightmare to glass and sand than to paint its just to much work
    Mine looks like it just screws/bolts in. You could pre-fab it then screw it in.

Gazza, Only my opinion,,, But what RayLamp said, X 100%......
    It is the most frustrating thing when fighting a decent fish, not being able to balance on the side, by getting your toes underneath.
    I too, have fished in a Polycraft, I found it disturbing !!!
    I replaced my side cover, onto the original shelf, with the angle brackets they were originally fitted with by Cruise Craft. Because my floor height changed, being the difference with thin Masonite to 12 mm Ply, when I refitted them, I set them on blocks, and physically tested the gap. I fish bare feet, at best with flip flops, so I put my steel toe cap boots on and gave it that much clearance, as amate that fish with me, tend to wear steel toe boots..
    I wanted the original look as well, so I replaced the Marine ply, recovered with carpet, set the angle brackets up and bolted them on...
    But that's only my set up...
    Think carefully before you go right down to the ground, I recon you will be cursing and regret it at a later date....
    Not a good photo, but I think you can see what my set up is..

Col
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok thanks for the advice guys i may just go without the pockets and start sanding today in prep for painting

I know bugger all about this stuff, but couldn’t you pre fab a box and fit it between those side bits you just did. Just one box each side as a temporary measure till you have tried fishing from it a couple times.

Tried sanding this carpet glue sander is too loud on the hull, tried a carpet glue remover that done jack all now trying orange peel paint stripper

Admin has banned me from uploading pics to the web site and linking these url links are getting tiring.. so i dont know how long i will be posting pictures for

https://ibb.co/9NQYzcb

https://ibb.co/9NQYzcb

https://ibb.co/ZGfTHXB

Won't Acetone remove it?

The goop off carpet glue remover has 50% acetone in it does barely nothing, 100% acetone does nothing i just cleaned out the whole hull everything inside the hull has been put in the shed so im now left with a empty hull, today i drilled 2x 20mm holes at the rear fuel tank and coated inside the holes with epoxy resin

The plan is to gurni the entire hull out all the dust, all the dirt and crap strait out, and gurni the carpet glue off the hull 1650psi should be enough to wash that glue off

I just need to look up if i can use a gurni

Forgot to mention the citrus orange peel paint striper barely done anything to the carpet glue

Gazza, a couple of things, side pockets definitely, make them up and you only need a small amount of glass underneath which wont be seen and will hold as much as you want if well bonded on the inside of the pocket.

Carpet glue is an odd ball thing depending on it's original composition. I've found metho works better on some or mostly turps on others. Lay a rag nice and flat wet it out well with turps, wait 5 to 10 mins and scrape it up. No matter what you use it will be a waiting game.

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    I know bugger all about this stuff, but couldn’t you pre fab a box and fit it between those side bits you just did. Just one box each side as a temporary measure till you have tried fishing from it a couple times.
    This is the way to do it, make the pocket, glass it, then just glass it in place, or, leave them out, your choice.