Page 19 of 233 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

And if you can't kill the mould and you get tired of the project, just get one of these

I dont have a spare 100k lol, if i ever get tired of this project it'll be going on hold but i dont think i would get rid of it, so far work has been progressing if i got stuck i might save up and take what supplies i have to a boat builder and get it done

That back yard boat rebuilder i mentioned a few pages back quoted me $2000 in labour and parts to put in new transom, stringers and floor but i wanted to do it my self a life achievement kind of thing

you know following this thread, its interesting too see the step by step progress, not knowing anything about double bias cloth and so on, also the project is interesting converting to a centre console, i remember as 14 year old you could get job after school in the fibreglass/resin factory $5 an hour, never did take that job so hence never learned about laying cloth, l just watch this post and see what i missed out on. Apart from getting itchy.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    you know following this thread, its interesting too see the step by step progress, not knowing anything about double bias cloth and so on, also the project is interesting converting to a centre console, i remember as 14 year old you could get job after school in the fibreglass/resin factory $5 an hour, never did take that job so hence never learned about laying cloth, l just watch this post and see what i missed out on. Apart from getting itchy.
    Lol my first job was a Powder Coater no tafe they were training me on the job i was coating products within weeks of starting was a cool job but the smell of it baking in the oven made me want to vomit every day it was only certain colours too some even smelt like baking cookies haha wish i had stuck it out could have had my own business now however i think i was always designed to be a general mechanic from a young age of around 7-8 years old i always wanted to pull stuff apart and see how they worked even pulled apart new christmas presents

this fibreglassing is a fun job but middle of summer it keeps u on your toes last when i done that other boat i were glassing one side by the time i had finished the start was rock hard and cured i think from memory i was getting like 15mins pot life and the double bias cloth soaks in slowly

The 900 gram a square meter double bias showed up before the weekend, this stuff is real high quality cloth its tightly woven and tightly knitted just perfect for the transom i think it is going to come out thicker than 1mm each layer tho looks nice and chunky cloth

have found a motor i am umming and arring about thinking about going taking a look at it but its a 150hp quiet a big motor and i am still early stages of the rebuild but i know if i finish in summer i wont get opportunities like this motor

could do with a new spray paint job https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bate...-xl/1188020143

Got one layer on unfortunately its all i could do the wind was blowing the cloth around like a sail and it wasnt sticking to the resin on the transom i used 2 G clamps to hold it in place but i later figured i need to tape the cloth on with masking tape at the start of the job i thought i absolutely buggered it when the cloth wouldn't stick but more resin and wetting out the entire cloth than getting it to stick worked out

looks like i am going to have to lay one cloth at a time than sand between coats also i will need to sand down the edges i didn't want to under cut the cloth and had no room to waste it either

there were a few air bubbles i rolled out around 1h 30mins after i laid the cloth i found it were easier to roll out the air because the cloth would stick without lifting back up

its a whole learning curve there are things i am learning i should be doing differently but i am no expert

Ok first layer is on and trimmed i put the vernier caliper on some scrap that i wet out and let cure the thickness comes to 0.73-0.75mm per layer so i am going to need 13 layers of 900 gram cloth that equals 26 meters of cloth this is going to take some time to laminate so bare with me i will return also had a brain fart moment and left the clamps on and worked around them when once the cloth was all wet and stuck to the transom i should have removed the clamps and finished the corners so i need to make a repair, some small air bubbles i couldn't help i may grind them out

one of my old boys sitting under the boat a 14 year old Boarder Collie he is my world

Why do you have to build it so thick on the outside? The strength will be from the inside when you glass along the sides, you can't do the sides from the outside (of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Why do you have to build it so thick on the outside? The strength will be from the inside when you glass along the sides, you can't do the sides from the outside (of course)
    I'm not actually sure i have read on American forums 1/4" or 6mm is sufficient i just wanted to replicate what was there which is 9-10mm

How many layers do u think would be ok Noel?

I don't think it comes down to straight out thickness, because the outer skin is cut off, you can't run mat on the transom, and up along the sides and underneath, it can only be done on the inside now. I don't profess to be an engineer, but what is happening, regardless of how thick the transom is, the motor wants to pull it backwards at the top, and push it forwards into the boat at the bottom, so how the timber transom is attached to the sides and bottom is crucial, it can't really be attached from the outside. Of course it needs to be strong to prevent twisting and compression from the engine mounting bolts and engine power pushing the boat along, if you get what I mean.

Yeah i understand i was thinking the thick laminate also ties into the sides on the outside to help distribute the forces

From what i have gathered from my research is the cores may be soft but its the space between two laminates that give a pannel its strength the further away u move the two skins with a core taking up the center space the more leaverage or forces it can widthstand

Hence bigger boats have thicker transoms and thicker skins on those transoms

With the 13 layers i am just trying to recreate what was there but in saying that the thin 25mm plywood core may be the reason why i have such a thick transom skin

Just been busy for the past hour reading a book i bought off of Australian Amazon its Dave Gerr's Elements of Boat Strength it has every calculation i possibly need to work out all my laminates its a lot of knowledge i need to keep reading

from what i have read Dave uses multi layers of different cloths and mats to make the thicknes, they dont call there cloths the same as we do here but they have pretty explanatory diagrams of the different cloth weaves

everything is based at the beginning on the boats LOA x Width x transom height divided by 28.23 = 0.44 than u use this 0.44 in equations to find the laminate thicknesses on all different sections of the boat

only down side is it was a download for $27 and i can only go one to three pages before the next page needs to load so i need to keep going back to the beginning to understand the terminology Dave uses in the book

Hey guys this is an important update i have come to realize by using the thick 900 gsm cloth was not the best approach and by far should have not even been considered its something i am learning from tho and there is a reason boat builders use 400-450 gsm cloth, i put another layer on yesterday of the 900 cloth and i immediately seen the cloth sagging due to the weight once it was wet out it took around 1 hour to glass 1 layer on the transom and to get it to stick was a mission it eventually stuck and i rolled out any air bubbles i was happy to leave it at that so i left the tarp rolled up untill 7pm i had gone out for the evening than when i returned home i seen inevitable the resin had gone off and was hard but i realized the weight of the cloth pulled the cloth from the transom this kept happening while i was wetting it out at the beginning its not a nightmare and can be repaired

next step is to grind out all those air pockets including the huge air bubble on the left side of transom

how am i going to fix it? i will need to start using 400 gram cloth its less than half the weight of the 900 cloth at the same purchase price pretty much its going to hike the budget up but my only option

from here on i will be using 400-450 gram double bias cloth

I'm guessing the top of the transom leans outward? If you drop the trailer hitch onto the dirt will you get enough angle to at least get the transom to sit vertically? Stick car ramps under the tyres to improve the angle even more?

Have you got a shop vac? Could always go for a redneck vacuum bag approach. Lay the glass, cover it in plastic taped to the hull and use the vacuum suction to hold it in place till it goes off.

Could also try taping peel ply to the bottom of the hull then wrapping it up and over the new glass and staple it to a batten laid across the top of the gunnel. Will hold the glass in place and also means you don't have to sand (I think) before the next layer of glass.

Thanks for the suggestions CT i think the cloth is just really heavy once its we out and yeah im in a no win situation no where else to park the boat shes on a down hill plus the transom is angled and if there is any wind its a nightmare

i gave it a sand between coats with 120 grit i hope it was enough i am going to sand it back and start again from the 1st layer of glass well that is the plan