Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

I mentioned this ages ago, ice cream containers are the best, you only need a few, when the mix hardens, you just twist them and it falls out, then use again, when I did my boat, I had about 6 of them, and was still using the same ones when I finished.

Yeah i heard everyone say thati bought 3 ice cream containers about 5 months ago i do use them but the epoxy kicks off in 20mins and in 20minsi probably only get 1.2m square done so i'll need a few more containers,trying to clean out the wet resin than reuse the same container works but uses heaps of acetone

I may cop some shit over my gaps and glue guys go easy on my i am totally shit at cutting shapes so the bowis a terrible job for the gaps i had no left over dry plywood to fill the gaps its a really crap job so i dont need to hear it again

Once all the seems are glued i'll run over every glued gap with the grinder to level it all out but at the moment im sitting on my hands with this weather

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Me Ting View Post
    DIY backyard surfboard builder tip: go visit the local nursing home. The commercial kitchen supplies for butter / marg are a good size for mixing resin! They throw out a lot.

While there, check out the bins, you'll see some good containers for other things too. The powder gravy mix containers for example.

Easy to deal with small nursing home than say local hospital.

I was lucky I had a mate working in a kitchen in a nursing home. He would just put the containers aside and drop them around to me every week. I of course, ensured he was well lubricated when he came to visit!
    Yep, I've got small bowls, medium bowls, large bowls, forceps which are great for holding hooks while trying to extract them. The hospitals will use 1 item from a prepack of bowls, tools and swabs and the rest gets tossed. It's good to know someone who works there.
    The other place I used to get containers were from the local school canteen, as you say margarine, mayonaise, sauces etc all come in nice pails which are tossed.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post

The other place I used to get containers were from the local school canteen, as you say margarine, mayonaise, sauces etc all come in nice pails which are tossed.
    Yeah, schools were good too.

Trouble is, the schools near me are now into the whole 'recycling thing'. They now use all the canteen waste stuff for the 'art and craft' classes at the school. They've even got it worked out so the kids on "detention" have the job of washing out the containers so they can be used in the classrooms.
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Once all the seems are glued i'll run over every glued gap with the grinder to level it all out but at the moment im sitting on my hands with this weather
    I'm not a boat builder, nor have ever done any boat glass works (have watched it being completed a few times)... but, from my time with surfboards (which obviously have way less layers of glass), found 'sanding back' or 'sanding level' ends up reducing the structural integrity. I learnt the hard way to do it right the first time to reduce the overall hassle of getting the finish I needed. Good layer of glass (cloth) that's level allows the filler coat to be smoother, much less sanding and overall better structural integrity.

Is boat building / rebuilding similar?
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Digs i looked there was nothing cheap, friedchicken rice containers were expensive

I actually may resort back yo the milk carton i gave up on those after making a glue mix and the carton just being to flimsy but i only need it for resin here on
    I dunno much about this but wouldn’t these be ok at 40c each?

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/p...rage-rectangle

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    I dunno much about this but wouldn’t these be ok at 40c each?

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/p...rage-rectangle
    I often use those Chinese food containers although they do have the little trough that runs around the perimeter but generally manage if nothing else to hand. And they come in all sizes, I like the square ones as they usually fit food parcels nicely for overnighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Me Ting View Post
    I'm not a boat builder, nor have ever done any boat glass works (have watched it being completed a few times)... but, from my time with surfboards (which obviously have way less layers of glass), found 'sanding back' or 'sanding level' ends up reducing the structural integrity. I learnt the hard way to do it right the first time to reduce the overall hassle of getting the finish I needed. Good layer of glass (cloth) that's level allows the filler coat to be smoother, much less sanding and overall better structural integrity.

Is boat building / rebuilding similar?
    I nedd to glue the joints of the sheet to sheet than sand it back this leaves the floor all nice and flat for the glass to lay strait on top if i leave even the slightest dollip of glue unsanded the cloth will lift up over the glue and have air pockets

I looked in woolworths at the round fried rice containers it was $6 for a 5pk i thought i would go through quiet a lot of them glassing the floor so gave them a miss

I really need disposable cheap round containers just like the fried rice containers without the price, those containers mix really well the resin and hardner but once the resin goes off the container is a one time use so might get expensive

When you're doing the floor you will need more resin than a round fried rice container, using those you will be forever getting in and out and mixing batches. A big flat surface like a floor needs a roller and a couple of litres at a time, and a disposable paint brush to do the edges. When I did mine, I just poured some resin on, rolled it out, then placed the mat, poured on more resin and rolled it again to wet it out, I had a helper mixing batches outside the boat just as I was running out of a mix, I did it all in one go, the second layer was easier, because the ply was sealed and it just went on easy, but, I was using chopped strand mat.

Hey Noel i was going to glass the boat bow to stern left side 2 layers wet on wet by laying down the first roll and rolling out approx 1 meter wet out that 1st meter than roll out the second layer wetting that sec9nd layer out

Than roll the bottom layer out another 1 meter wet itout than roll the top layer out another 1 meter

Once the left side is done let it cure than repeat on the right side

As i need a cured side to jump out of the hull and i think 2 layers wet on wet will have amechanical and chemical bonding

It will only be the seem from bow to front of fuel tank coffin that doesnt get the secondairy bonding

What do u think?

I might actually try pouring the resin and usibg a large plastic squeege seemsto work for guys on youtube it would deffinitly get the resin spread out quickly and be alot cheaper than 10-12x 180mm mohair rollers

Never look at YouTube for help myself, but I used cheap rollers and never had a problem, well, once I worked out which ones to use, never cleaned them, used one for the first layer, tossed the roller bit, used another one for the second layer, cost about $3 each.