Page 18 of 233 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

I spent an afternoon making the new plywood fit to my transom before gluing it in. I still had a few gaps on the sides but not too bad and I did round off the sharp edges on the bottom to make it fit the curved transom to bottom join. I then used a lot of thickened epoxy on both surfaces before bringing them together and you have seen the pic of my clamping method, thickened epoxy squished out everywhere. So good idea to spend some time to make it fit. I also coated all surfaces with unthickend epoxy first and allowed it to kick off a bit first.

Good luck.

Crooked how thick were your peanut butter layer's? i didn't know how think to make mine

It sort of depended on where, between the ply and transom skin it was fairly thin on each maybe a few mm on both surfaces. But on the bottom and sides much thicker as it then can fill gaps and squeeze out for clean up. So really if you think the surfaces will come together flush you don’t need much but if you need to fill gaps and irregularities then thicker.

I rounded the plywood corners yesterday and test fitting the transom not long ago using the engine crane i slung it and she fit strait in perfectly slid up against the skin beautiful i than pushed the plywood forward and glued the skin than slid the plywood back and into position than screwed her home everything looks perfect

Took some general pictures of how i keep the boat dry i use 3x 25mm conduit pipes bent over and a huge 7x5.5 meter tarp from bunning the tarp was expensive close to $100 from memory and some pictures of inside the transom

the cover held up during last weeks down pour in Sydney so i think it could withstand anything other than hail

From what i learnt about the BMD boats is if u screw up a bit u can either fair it before glassing or after so that torn off layer of ply will be repaired in the final fairing when i go at it with the flat board however i did put a layer of peanut butter resin over it and let it soak into the ply

i had used a lot of glue mix and u can see it oozing out, there is one small cavity its bottom right on the repair but once i bevel the skin it should open up the small area i used plenty of glue in there so it may only be a tiny gap

i will remove the screws and plywood tomorrow afternoon the screws actually worked really well this time round

also found some products that remove barnicals from hull's u spray it on than gurni it off the one i seen on youtube is MR X 1 or 1 X something like that than i looked further into it and we have similar products here in Australia but it cost a lot of money think $170 for 5 litres

Im thinking of putting some wet glue mix in peanut butter consistancy over the plywood repair than laying a layer of cloth over the glue before it sets

Anyone got any advice on how i should start the glassing?

Trying to order more 456gram per square meter double bias and i just corrected the lady at Nuplex who tried to tear me a new hole once again that shop is an outright rort!

she said 6.5 meters x 1.2 meter of double bias should cost $95 however they charge by the kilo at $10.56 a kilo

6.5x1.2m = 7.8 square meters or 3.55kg really equals $37.48 what an outright cock up and she was trying to stick it to me

than she hung up the phone on me and i was even being polite

Have you considered reattaching the old skin to the outside and tabbing this in?

Hey Crooked, my old skin is battered plenty of holes thru it i thought once i make all those repairs i would be better off just making a new skin, i ordered some 900 gram double bias cloth i spoke with the sales guy and he mentioned the 900 cloth is .78mm thick so he said once wet out each layer should be around 1mm, my transom is 9mm thick so i needed 18 meters of cloth by 1.2 meters wide just to do the skin, i think by doing the skin i will have the best possible bond to the plywood over reattaching the old skin

playing around with paint and i measured my transom that XL shaft is going to need a really tall pod

i should be able to knock the smaller pod up within a reasonable time but i really like the big pod but that would be a big job

hopping my cloth turns up by friday as i want to at lease get one layer on to seal the plywood as the top left of the transom is growing mould must be from the condensation under the tarp during the night

if theres mould in the wood have to kill it first

as only going to keep growing under all your pretty glass work

Thanks Steve i will wipe it with bleach before i put a layer of resin over it

Mould actually feeds on bleach i beleive. Check on mr google but I was told not to use bleach on any kind of mould. It will look clean but wont actually kill it.
    ...A bad days fishing is always better than a good days working...

Actually i will sand it off with the flap disc thanks Xpal i have mould in my house u cannot get rid of it, it was here 8 years ago before i moved in and painted over nothing kills it not even that Bunnings 30 second mould remover

Removing mould - naturally - oil of cloves kills the spores
    Walls and ceilings
    1. Mix up a solution of 3 drops Oil of Cloves, 1/2 cup vinegar and 5 cups water.
    2. Get a clean broom, put the leg of a pair of stockings over the head and dip it into your solution.
    3. Use broad, sweeping strokes across the mouldy area to remove the mould.
    4. Allow to dry and then repeat. Any remaining light staining from mould or mildew will recede in a couple of weeks.
    5. Every other month, spray the walls and ceiling with a mixture of 3 drops Oil of Cloves to 1L water and leave to dry completely. This will help prevent mould returning.
    Outdoor furniture
    1. Mix up a solution of 3 drops Oil of Cloves, 1/2 cup vinegar and 5 cups water.
    2. Wipe the furniture down with your solution, using a stiff brush to loosen heavy areas of mould.
    4. Allow to dry and then repeat. Any remaining light staining from mould or mildew will recede in a couple of weeks.
    5. Every other month, spray your wooden outdoor furniture with a mixture of 3 drops Oil of Cloves to 1L water and leave to dry completely. This will help prevent mould returning.