Page 16 of 233 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Can you lever the outer skin away enough to get some resin in there?

Noel mate i was not confident once i removed all the plywood on the outside and the screws that transom job sucked a.. this is my first job and i am going to do it properly so i started by removing what bond was between the plywood and skin and there was hardly any bond

what i done next was cut the whole outer skin out than removed the plywood it tore up a layer or two off the plywood but i will use resin and maybe a layer of cloth to repair it

from here on once the plywood is repaired i will start to reconstruct the transom i should be able to get a good bond right around the edges of the skin but that plywood is heavy so i have already asked my cousin to lend a hand i told him i already screwed it up because its not a one person job

kind of glad i didn't just try to drill holes and fill the voids with glue but no excuses i done an absolute shit job i will do it better tho

How did you try to bond the timber to the outer skin?

I'll edit this post i was out of home on the mobile when i replied, what i had done was i borrowed a couple of hands for 2mins when i was ready because my mates and family are always busy its hard to get them when i need the help so i had got help lifting the plywood into the boat i slid the plywood forward in my cutout i than put my hand in and glued the transom skin than by my self i had to try pull the transom back solo and i think this is where i messed up i thought by screwing the screws in from the outside of the transom skin it was going to pull the plywood in flush but it must have bind the right side actually looked like it had fitted and glued in perfect but that was a later fail

the hull is now a little flimsy so i need to be careful how i proceed, lucky i didn't cut out the splash well its the only thing keeping it upright

wowsers, hide the grinder back in the shed, just a little set back , so what now? pack up the thickness and add a full piece transom cover board and back thru screwed to the inner plywood.

picked up a fair dinkem free tandem trailer tonight cost $0 it looks like it should fit my boat on it

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    wowsers, hide the grinder back in the shed, just a little set back , so what now? pack up the thickness and add a full piece transom cover board and back thru screwed to the inner plywood.
    I'll repair the plywood once that's done i will prep and glue the inside of the skin than screw the plywood into place than glass the outside than i'll work on the inside

When we did my mates transom we did a similar thing, but in a way, different, we made sure it was going to fit perfectly, then we did a single layer of slow hardening chopped strand on the inside skin, and moved the timber up to it, then used home made clamps to pull it tight together, don't know if it was right or wrong, but that was years ago, and that boat is still in use.

Yeah the clamps make it a expensive option i looked into those that's why i use the screws but it didn't pan out i think what i need to do is make sure my transom is rounded around the edges on the plywood to skin side i think this should help it fit better rather than have the square edge on the round hull edges

i will be patient this time and make sure the transom fits 101% before i proceed

that trailer i just picked up is for a 5m boat absolute bugger my boat will be 6-6.1 meters finished, has anyone extended a trailer?

good find that trailer, for free and perhaps moving the bow post forward, or extend the drawbar with new bow post attached. or with the back get some rhs that will sleeve into the original Rhs and mig up a little extension and couple over that sleeve, finish with thru bolts. as long as your prop isnt 1 meter from your tail lights you shouldnt get booked. this is only a guide im not up to date on the exact distance.

Thanks Cat, The trailer measures 4.5m or it will fit a 5m boat with those rocker mounted rollers on the back i was just sending off emails to welders on Gumtree asking if anyone would take it on as a job i asked if they could butt weld on some RHS and extend the two outer frame rails 1 full meter

also called around to see how much it would cost to strip the galvanize $0.80c per kilo and $5 per kilo to re-galvanize it

trailer was an absolute great find only VIC expired rego they use a 6 digit VIN number bloke said he towed it up from VIC and wanted the boat not the trailer so it was going out the door for free i just had to drive to Jervis Bay to pick it up, there are no holes but it does have surface rust on the 2 welded cross members the 3rd cross member is a bolt on swing type of cross member kind of weird set up

drawbar is tiny tho i would say 40x40mm/45x45mm defiantly not 50x50mm maybe the material is really thick tho i donno will have to check it out more during the day

$5 a kilo for HDG is highway robery. We pay 65c a kilo in Brisbane.
    ...A bad days fishing is always better than a good days working...

Quote Originally Posted by xpaladoshous View Post
    $5 a kilo for HDG is highway robery. We pay 65c a kilo in Brisbane.
    The place in New Castle that charges i think it was $3 kilo doesn't have a tank to remove the galvanizing he sand blast and said because its RHS steel he can't blast inside of the tubing and it will set his whole tank off

Just cannot seem to get a break in weather to do this transom everyday its raining or cold and overcast

hard to see but you could chop out the draw bar and replace it with the more common size these days of 100x100mm, it just sits directly under the front "A" with supporting rhs grabbing both rails on the body frame. doesnt the trailer have keel rollers? thats strange

being ex victoria rego on the trailer, they will look closely when you blue slip it, as you know how they are, also im no welder but i dont think you can butt weld the rhs at the end there, you might see your engine plowing the road behind you