Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Gazza this may be up your alley. If you search the net or YouTube you will find articles on sharpening hole saws. Good luck keep on toiling away. You’ll get there

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Hey Shakey i felt the hole saw teeth this morning it still feels quiet sharp but im not sure why its getting caught halfway through yhe plywood than burning the plywood

Tell ya what i dont wanna meet these things anytime soon the hornets have followed me from house to house

That nest has a lot of babies!!!

Not a very productive day didnt get much done but now its cooled off i feel like working on it but cant use the drop saw at 9pm

Today i only got 5 main 38mm drain holes drilled they'll be piped when this rain comes and goes, there are another 4 drain holes i need to drill but they are for small voids so im thinking a quick 12mm hole, glue the hole than redrill with a 7-8mm drill bit

Im about to feed my dogs so i'll jump in the boat and calculate my total foam needed and order it next week if i can

Guys i calculated my foam my two main stringers front to rear came in at 166,000square centemeters

Morps calculated the 100x100x10cm sheet of foam to weigh 1.8kg with 100kg bouyancy

So will i have 280kgs of bouyancy? That doesnt seem like a great deal

There is a formula for calculation the amount of foam you will need. If you don't have enough it will just sink a bit slower. The Tas and Vic governments have articles/ guides on this. It's better to have most of it up high under gunnels etc so the boat will tend to float level.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Tell ya what i dont wanna meet these things anytime soon the hornets have followed me from house to house

That nest has a lot of babies!!!
    Nuke it right now

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

Hey Shakey i felt the hole saw teeth this morning it still feels quiet sharp but im not sure why its getting caught halfway through yhe plywood than burning the plywood
    Try clearing the hole saw during cut and cooling it. I think that’s your problem.

Not a very productive day didnt get much done but now its cooled off i feel like working on it but cant use the drop saw at 9pm

Today i only got 5 main 38mm drain holes drilled they'll be piped when this rain comes and goes, there are another 4 drain holes i need to drill but they are for small voids so im thinking a quick 12mm hole, glue the hole than redrill with a 7-8mm drill bit

Im about to feed my dogs so i'll jump in the boat and calculate my total foam needed and order it next week if i can
    Gazza, I know your not a fan of working during the day, but if you sit down early in the day and think what can I do this afternoon/evening when it cools down.

Then you realise that I need to use drop saw, hole saw, etc that will make noise.

Drop saw - work out what needs to be cut and spend a short time during day and cut what needs to be cut for the evening work. Get anything else prepared for the evening that will be noisy.

If you don’t what to do something during day, such as hole saw, just force yourself knowing that if you don’t do some of it today, then it’ll have to be put off to another day, which in turn makes the project finish time later and later.

Just my opinion. Keep going buddy

Yep, I agree, either that or try to get your sleeping pattern back to somewhere near normal, sleeping all day and wandering around all night is not exactly good for your health, not to mention the neighbours suspicions of what you are up to.

So will i have 280kgs of bouyancy? That doesnt seem like a great deal
    You have to think about what the boat weighs vs the water it displaces if sunk to work out how much extra flotation you need. The formula from the MAST doc I linked earlier simplifies down for your fibreglass boat as follows:

Buoyancy required (m3) = [(0.45 x total hull mass) + (1.2 x engine/machinery/fittings weight)] / 982

So if your hull weighs 800kg complete including floor, deck, console, etc and you have a 200kg motor + 100kg worth of battery, anchor, chain, etc then your numbers would be:

Buoyancy required (m3) = [(0.45 x 800) + (1.2 x (200 + 100))] / 982
    = [360 + (1.2 x 300)] / 982
    = [360 + 360] / 982
    = 720 / 982
    = 0.733m3

Each of your 1m x 1m x 100mm thick sheets is 0.1m3, so you'd need 7.33 sheets for that theoretical boat to achieve positive buoyancy. For a boat that wasn't made with an outer foam skin like the Boston Whalers, most of that has to go under the floor to achieve that kind of volume.

Shakey yeah i think your onto it tge hole saw must be expanding and biting in the hole

I'll knock that hornets nest down and run

Shakey / Noel yeah i hear ya's i try to prep for the work at night, my sleeping is medicated the only way to get back into a rather normal routine is to take my meds about 10 hours late one day that throws me back to waking up at 7am but 4 days later im back into the old routine, i have tried alarm clocks but im that out of it i am just wiped out in a deep sleep

Hey Morp that is quiet some calculation 733,000square centermeters is a huge amount of foam, all under my floor only equils 166,000 square centermeters

You don't want to put it all under the floor Gazza. There is plenty of room to put most of it under the gunnels, outboard well, bow area etc. and this will give more chance of the boat staying upright.