Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    I have never owned a boat that didn't have just a a single lock nut on .
    The worlds a funny place full of variables isn’t it

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    This has been debated a thousand times, pool noodles will just degrade to shit in no time, there is a brand that is better, but they're not cheap, use the right foam from the start, you can't change it later without major work. The right foam is fully water proof, fuel resistant and fire retardant.
    I never heard the pool noodles break down just heard of a lot of people using them

I'll go with the two part foam

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    Gazza: Try https://www.austain.com.au/ (Austain Australian Stainless Fasteners)

241 RAWSON STREET
    AUBURN, NEW SOUTH WALES 2144
    Phone: (02) 9748 8933
    Fax: (02) 9748 8736
    Email Sales: sydney@austain.com.au
    Thanks i'll probably use the local guy @ $11 a bolt

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Hi Gazza, Noel is 100% right, forget the pool noodles bud.
    This is where time spent researching will help you in the long run.
    With regard to the spacer, why don't you message that guy on the facebook page, a supplier and get the actual recommended bolting method for the stuff.
    I don't think this is the time to go with gut feelings or what you think may be best, get it from the horses mouth on best practice.
    I no nothing on the stuff, yet alone best practice, but at this point, where your up too, you need to do what's recommended. It may very well be ok to use a plate and/or large washer, but speak to that guy mate, he would give you a straight answer and it's from the distributor/supplier.
    Not trying to tell you what to do, just don't want to see you with issues,,, your so close to the end of the line now

Col
    Hey Col i bought my Kay-Cel from a web site i didnt buy the Thermolite from the bloke on facebook i'll sound like a bit of a f...wit asking him for advice but not buying his product

I just checked with the local metal shop there online order form is saying they have 316 SS tubing diam:15.88mm, 1.6mm wall which is 12.52mm hole

Should i order this or should i look for something with a thicker wall?

Also that battery i blew $50 on im trying to revive it for backyard use for the electric trailer mover, seeing its a maitinence free battery i tapped some holes to replace the liquid with epsom salt to desalt that one bad cell

Obviously the battery cant be used in a boat any longer if it does revive but it saves me buying a battery for the mover or a ride on mower to jump start if i go that option to get the boat up the driveway

Empty plastic bottles under floor instead of foam heaver type like oil bottles a few different sizes to pack in to the voids
    Col

Lol nah i think i will go with the 2 part foam i have come this far i cant cheese it up

The local fibreglassing guy doesnt give a indication on how many litres of foam liquid make in to a solid is it just a guess and order x amount?

Have a look at the foam that Telwater put in their boats, it's in blocks that you cut to suit, but is not polystyrene, it's kind of slippery like Tupperware, and doesn't dissolve in petrol, and never absorbs water, don't know the proper name for it.

Gazza, Maybe the kaycel seller would have some spec's in his possession about recommended practices ??? worth a shot..

Gazza, you may remember a bloke on F/B did a big speel about using foam, testing it's results etc, he gave out info on volume to use, especially the type. He also water soaked some in a tank and tested how much it absorbed, he was very thorough. Scroll down and try and find hi spost, he was very approachable and pretty switched on,, I'm sure it was where you are posting.....

Col

Thanks Noel i was going to use this https://trojanfibreglass.com.au/prod...g-foam-liquid/

I didnt see the post Col i asked in general about the spacers one guy said his transom is like mine 66mm thick he didnt use spacers and hung 270kg 200hp on his boat

Gazza,
    You need closed cell foam as it won't soak up water like the open cell.

Any idea on what density closed cell foam i will need? I googled it but all kinds of closed cell foam came up

Hey fellas most of the blokes on fb are saying to run plates so i'll pick up some 50x8mm alumi ium today