Page 14 of 233 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

i saw a local bloke transformed his Bertram 21 /maybe it was a carribean 21. , was an inboard initialy and he done a full width pod which he bolted on a big HP honda, seemed to sit nice in the water considering honda is a heavy unit.

I have a worry that i might be making the boat to light because i removed the roof and heavy glass windscreen but i am hopping to put in 9 or 12mm flooring so thats a little bit of weight going back in as my old floor was 6mm the builder also used timber stringers i will be using plywood

My last post was more about the buoyancy of the boat what i don't want is the chines at the back half of the boat to be floating above the water level it might be unstable at rest

anyhow here's some progress missed working on the boat all weekend as its poured and it poured and some more.... all while i had no where to put my plywood so i had to leave it on the trailer the whole time under a slightly leaky tarp, one top sheet got a little wet the second and third sheets only got wet edges, the ply now cut out is going to sit in the boat for a few days to dry out

Noel i went with your suggestion mate and left the top flat we'll see how it goes

going to be almighty hard to glass the plywood is heavy and awkward as u see the transom the top of the plywood cut out is 160cm from the ground i am only 167cm lol i am going to need a hand from my cousin

plan is to try get the first sheet to lay up against the transom skin flush i will probably have to remove it a few times to touch it up possibly round the inside edge off to fit the curve of the hull lay out corners and edges

this is todays 2 hours progress

If you are going to make a pod, then the full height transom makes sense, if using a motor well, cut it to suit 25" motor

Yeah I'm going with a pod so i guess i will leave the transom as it looks, ganna be a bugger to glue and glass in since i only left my self that small splash well cut out but i guess we learn from what we do wrong

Ausfish Platinum Member

Don't you laminate those sheets together, , clamped and screwed until they set, before you put it in place? Glass the inside of the transom piece before you put it in place, then you only have to tab around the inside?

Ranmar thats one way of doing it the other is as 3 laminates so the first sheet conform to any inperfections and is 100% bonded

Doing the 3 layers in one go would be better for me less work less stress

Just need some sunny days to dry out sydney and i'll get her done

Edit: forgot to mention there looks to be a gap between my plywood and port side i only man handled the ply into place never actually centered it there is around 3-4mm gap both sides because of the odd shape of my sides of transom are not strait 1 length but rather 2 so if i cut the plywood to perfection the plywood would bind on its way down into the hull

Gazza if you are going with a pod why would you need to leave the splash well in at all? Why not cut the whole thing out, makes it easier to glass the transom and then build a flat stern of the transom? It might even be easier then trying to tab off the old splash well and fair this out.

Crooked i could do that and i have briefly thought about it but i just don't have the knowledge to rebuild it structurally or any decent idea's, how would u go about it? it is going to be a back breaker glassing and fairing that cut out splash well because of how high the transom is now and if i were to do it from inside the boat i need to lean right over the splash well

i have been taking self taught drone lessons haha if u call it such i am going to buy a decent 450 size drone for the initial splashing planning on trying to get some aerial photography of this boat when finished, would love to get one of those drones that follow you i could sit in the boat flying the drone while i get a mate driving the boat doing some cool runs, i have a fly over my place on video but my drone is only a 100mm drone so its tiny and the video is shaky

as for my splash well what could i do? i don't want to get too fancy with curves and a lot of technical cutouts and pieces if i were to remove the spalsh well i would want to keep it basic but not a huge box shape that is why i made that top cut out, i would also need to tie it into my existing sides/gunnels which are not flat

I don't know if this would work or not what's everyone's opinions? long bench maybe a seat maybe its structure? i donno but it would remove the splash well

what would be the chances of the hull moving shape if i cut out the splash well without glassing in the transom first?

l suspect the sides near the stern will spread out if you cut out the splash well , even if you tempory brace it and go forth, you may open up a box you cant close. the splash well is a good structually piece, can you not keep it or does it impact your work.

How about using the inner piece as the top of the transom? Kind of hard to describe, but, if you get what I mean, the very inner top, cut off and used as a "deck" across the top, but right at the back?

Cat, i might keep it just sounds like a lot of work and i may screw up the boat if i remove it

Noel, u mean remove the most front bit of the splash well and re add this bit to the rear?

Yep, that was my thought, so when looking from inside the boat, the front of the motor well, gets moved to the transom, it might look a lot more original, it would mean a couple of repairs, but not too bad. I know a guy that did what you are doing, and he took a "mold" from the side deck to make a section to fit across the back, it worked OK, but he was a good glass guy.

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi Gazza. - Just spotted your build thread.

Have a look here - Its only a little more involved than what you are doing - http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ang-24-rebuild - this is what you are up for, before you get too deep into it.

Done professionally, transome stringers and floors will cost $10- 15K. I just did a 16' Haines, and it took me 6 weeks full time, and this was not my 1st rodeo.
    IMG_1955.jpg IMG_2031.jpg IMG_2096.jpg IMG_2111.jpg

You have a very long road ahead mate.
    Good luck.