Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

We have strong winds, huge seas (again) but the rain has eased off, it was as bad as I have ever seen it yesterday, roads cut all over the place, my daughter works at Shoalhaven Hospital and had to drive home in it last night, at one time yesterday at around 2pm I couldn't see the beach, the rain was just dark grey like thick fog, it was that heavy.

You were probably in the eye of the storm, and now it has past you, you are back in the thick of it.

Thats the second huge storm in a month no hail luckily

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

The rain has eased quite a bit now, the ocean is a mess, chocolate water, wild waves and wind blown, I reckon about 2m of sand has eroded off the beach (in depth) my pool cover was over the fence, the wind was that strong, we had over 300mm of rain in 12 hours. I am still messing around putting the finishing touches on the laundry, but everything is wet, going to put the toilet in tomorrow I hope, can't get motivated with the miserable conditions.

My backyard is slosh all outside my door lucky after the last down poor i built up my dogs kennel off the ground for the storm that just passed and future storms i tell ya its not fun walking out the back the 2 seconds it takes to grab the dogs bowls stepping in 25-30mm of water at 9pm is like ice we only have one back door too

Walking on the front yard u sink a good 20mm down into soggy grass i had to park on the driveway the car started to get bogged after the two last big storms

I can only recall storms as bad as we see today from the 80's ever happening a couple of times hate to see what we endure in the future

Lucky my backyard dries out really fast 2 sunny days and that mushy sloppy slippery mud can be walked on

The tarp over the boat took the full force of that storm it didnt even flap much my other tarp would have been flapping all night

I'll be back into the transom in the next few days if there is no rain predicted i still need to sand the top middle portion of the inner skin than hand sand both sides and bottom vacuum out the dust than she should be ready for the kaycel to go in

Going to be a bit hectic trying to get all the batches of glue mixed and applied than get the first transom core layer screwed in before the glue kicks

Will hopefully get some pics or maybe video see how it turns out day or night

Up in Qld that is just a regular event .

As for the lack of tarp flapping, I did mention that these tarps don't flap around as much as the regular tarps from Bunnings/SCA etc. Could be because they are made from a different type of film. The less tarps flap the longer they will last as the surface doesn't fatigue as much, I bought one of the Bunning/SCA types once to help move my daughters furniture about 80km up the road to my place with a box trailer, by the time I got home the tarp was shredded and so just threw it in the bin.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Will hopefully get some pics or maybe video see how it turns out day or night
    Just focus on getting it right, gazza. You'll be squeezed for time and don't want to be worrying about a camera too. The pics I'm keen to see are of it finished, floating and fishing.

Sorry to hijack the thread but the details are probably buried about 10 pages back. What was that tarp brand, thanks.

I got the Arktarp Extra Heavy duty Tarp (150GSM)

and I think Gazza got this one which is about 25% stronger/thicker than mine.( 200GSM)

https://www.arktarps.com.au/product/industrial-tarps/

Looks like i have a gopro 7 to take some better video and audio of my screw ups

Mostly got the camera for the big splash

Ed is onto it the tarp is a Ark Tarp, i previously tried multiple bunnings, catch.com.au, ozcamping tarps

How long my tarps lasted

Bunnings heavy duty silver and green: 5 and 7 months

Catch com au lasted 7 weeks!!!!

Ozcamping lasted 7 months and was pulled down in still ok condition

All there warranties are a crock of shit not one of those tarps lasted the 12 months warranty but i couldnt see my self dragging into bunning this huge sun worn out and shreded tarp for a warranty claim LOL

Really hope im up and about in a few hours i have some motivation to get on with this depressing transom

Could have been doing my floor if i didnt screw the transom, bugger

Thought i gathered enough to know it all and f... it its like a kick to the balls

Lets see how these gopro 7 pictures upload the quality is way impressive it just has that fish eye

I pulled a all nighter i feel like a pile of crap now but got my first transom layer in

I started off by running a thick bead of glue along the bottom and up the sides i than mixed up a runny glue mix and rolled it all over the inner skin than glued my skarf cuts and put the board in clamped it than screwed it from both sides, i than ran another bead of glue right around the now edge of the kaycel

Covered her up packed up

Attachment 122049Attachment 122050

silly question

but did you dry everything fully before starting
    any moisture at all can be a issue even with the fancy foam board

My glue mix has kicked off and the transom is already stiff good stuff but i screwed up the right skarf was right on a stringer so i've pushed 3 screws right into my stringer bugger

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    silly question

but did you dry everything fully before starting
    any moisture at all can be a issue even with the fancy foam board
    Hey Steve the kaycel was stored inside the house and the transom was 100% dry i had to do some final sanding today so all in the transom slot filled with sawdust i used the ryobi vacuum to suck it all out before wiping everything with acetone

The kaycel got sanded all over than vacuumed than acetone wiped