Page 13 of 233 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Really makes u think when spending a lot of money, time and energy rebuilding a boat like this and u see 3rd class workmanship in previous repairs you think and hope the hull is a good and solid rider

Picked up a 2400x1200mm sheet of Coreflute from Bunnings last night placed it on the outside of the transom and traced a line on the other side of the transom, cut her out fitted than made my upper transom cut out

i have made some big decisions 1 i am going to build a pod XL shaft, 2 my original transom was 25mm thick core i am going to modify the transom to take a 36mm core especially to help with the pod torque and rotational forces from the outboard anyone think i should go thicker? 48mm? 54mm?

pod will be designed a little later but it will be done before i get the Marine Mechanic out to do a HIN validation so i can register it and hopefully have it registered as a 20 footer

A bit more work, Tried to clean the transom with acetone it just smudged the blue sticker so got out the Bosch orbital and went over it with light paper it cleaned nearly all of the silicone i couldn't get off so i was thankful for that

next step i cut out the transom cracks and removed that section it than allowed me to stick my head into the boat and look at the transom skin from inside and i noticed a crap load of more poorly filled holes in the transom some where wood plugs some were resin/glue filled so i took 3 drill bits in larges sizes to the holes and drilled them out in prep for the transom going in

i am astonished at just how many accessories people have added to this transom over the years on this one boat its like swiss cheese, it has been repaired at lease once because there is a layer of paint over the original transom gel coat

my plan of attack on so many holes will be once the plywood transom is in place i will grind down the transom skin around each hole and bevel the skin to roughly a 75-100mm circle around each hole than fill the hole with a glue mix than multiple layers of double bias to build it up, fair it than paint

Why do you want a pod? unless you are going to remove the motor well altogether, it doesn't make sense, and removing the motor well, and building a straight full height transom is a lot of work, and will require a transom with no motor cut out at all, OH and the transom will be plenty thick enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Why do you want a pod? unless you are going to remove the motor well altogether, it doesn't make sense, and removing the motor well, and building a straight full height transom is a lot of work, and will require a transom with no motor cut out at all, OH and the transom will be plenty thick enough.
    Hey Noel, I don't have the ability to calculate the structure if i were to remove the entire splash well i went with the slightly lower transom cut out just to keep it looking ok as in a ascetics way instead of cutting the full squarish transom it looks to "boxy" i did think about making the transom the full height even tho it looked squarish and tying it into the front of the splash well but it just looked like one huge basic square box

i plan on keeping the splash well because i have a plan i am going to half embed a diy rounded corner live bait tank right thru the splash well this will keep a bait tank off the floor or from taking up room in front of the splash well

just a quick edit here: got my numbers wrong i am going with 3 sheets of 18-19mm ply so transom will be 54-57mm thick

When I was planning my build I called cruise craft who manufactured my boat and asked them about adding a pod. They strongly advised against it due to the changes it would make in the handling. Obviously it can be done but I bought the hull because it handles the sea well and I am reluctant to change those characteristics so I stayed with the same setup and I am just redesigning the motor well at the transom. If you want to pod it needs some thought and is usually done with a full height straight transom and no motor well for the added space.

Anyway i have glued my transom in today, lots of epoxy squeezing out everywhere so should have filled any voids. Hopefully the photo works. Attachment 117203

Oh BTW I have laminated 2 sheets of 18mm hardwood ply for my transom. This is what the thickness was of the old core and even then it was only full thickness at the top and only a single sheet thickness for the lower portion of the transom. So I don’t think you need to go crazy with your ply thickness this may only end up adding weight not strength.

Really depends what style of pod one builds, mine will run true with the hull so it should work in my favor for characteristics it'll basically be like a hull extension just its not the full width of the hull but that may change later on just means more work

i think the pods that are angled up strait off the transom bottom would be the ones with irregular tendency's as i noticed how the handling changed when i added a long shaft to a short shaft tinny with a jacking plate the boat handled dangerously and awkward steering the hull was flopping as i turned i would imagine these smaller pods would do the exact same thing since i am going long to extra long shaft

your pic is not working mate, be keen to see your progress

picked up the furniture grade plywood this afternoon i'm using the Okume 15mm MR 1/WBP glue plywood sheets was going to go with 25mm sheets but realized how thick the 3x 15mm sheets were

this plywood has a really nice pinky/marone colour to it would make a great coffee table, price was less than $30 a sheet BB/CC grade no knots either looks like really good plywood

these are non structural or furniture grade from research the structural stuff uses different glue that is not water and boil proof

i thought you have to use marine grade plywood? or did i miss something. when i sourced marine ply for a job at $120 a sheet the expert suggested i could get away with structual plywood at 70$ a sheet, which is near enough to the good thing, same glue just some imperfections in the sheet.

You can use marine grade or exterior grade plywood, u can't use structual plywood because it doesnt have water and boil proof glue between the laminates u also need wood which has a decent density

most reno type pods dont work
    as your putting the engine out on a canter lever and not increasing hull length to match

dunked power heads porpoising tonnes of things to go wrong

The bottom of the pod will be full length with the keel i just havent decided if i'll be going a full width pod yet

Sinking the powerhead wont be a problem the boat was a long shaft it will take a extra long shaft on the pod

Catshark the designer BMD recommends using the exterior ply for there boats cant imagine spending $130 a sheet to build there boats

I think marine grade plywood is so expensive as they would have to sort thru the good and not so good laminates to make the plywood sheet, i thought about buying the marine ply when my transom was going to be 25mm but now 45mm i couldnt afford it

Ok so i found out my boats brand name is a Fibreform from the USA i think it was a rebadged Bertram/Caribbean, Seem to be plenty in the USA under Fibreform

Marine ply has an outer veneer in a superior grade, suitable for cabinets and so on, and the timber used to make the ply has no knots or voids, making it much stronger than cheaper plywood grades.