Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

CT any idea on what weigh the sheet is? I read the ideal composite sheet to use is 80kg not sure if thsts 80kg a sheet or cubic meter? Just what i read possibly that was for a foam core

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I have used epoxy the whole build Dig but what i was saying polyester and chopped mat is the regular the pros use im trying to work out an equivillent laminate in strength using epoxy without the chopped mat

Gazza, from memory all your epoxy work is the other side of that transom skin so what you use on the transom is not affected. If you have to bind into stringers or other parts whete you've used epoxy then you need to use epoxy but otherwise poly is fine although poly vinyl is definitely easier to use. Sit and have a good thought about how you are binding your transom.

CT any idea on what weigh the sheet is? I read the ideal composite sheet to use is 80kg not sure if thsts 80kg a sheet or cubic meter? Just what i read possibly that was for a foam core

What I know about thermo would fill a thimble

Thermo-Lite Board® TOUGH-LITE

Manufactured with polymer foam and a matt fiberglass lay-up, this product is a great choice for a wide variety of uses from floor to ceiling. Available in a density range of 320 kg/m³ in a range of thicknesses.

Thermo-Lite Board® TOUGH

Manufactured with polymer foam and a medium-weight woven fiberglass lay-up, this product is acceptable for standard structural loading applications. Available in a density range of 320 to 640 kg/m³ depending upon the thickness required.

Thermo-Lite Board® SUPREME

Manufactured with polymer foam and an ultra-heavy weight woven fiberglass lay-up that offers superior mechanical properties, making it the ultimate product where the utmost specific structural strength is required. Available in a density range of 400 to 640 kg/m³ depending upon the thickness required.

Just lost it all bugger works out 20kg for 2400x1200mm sheet ao its the premium weight stuff

To calculate the sheet weight from kg to lb, 8x4 = 32square foot, 20kg = 45lb / 32sq ft = 1.40lb per 1inch thick

1.40lb per 1x1ft 1inch thick x 9 square foot x 12inch thick x 3 foot hight = 453lb per 3x3x3ft

Just lost it all bugger works out 20kg for 2400x1200mm sheet ao its the premium weight stuff

To calculate the sheet weight from kg to lb, 8x4 = 32square foot, 20kg = 45lb / 32sq ft = 1.40lb per 1inch thick

1.40lb per 1x1ft 1inch thick x 9 square foot x 12inch thick x 3 foot hight = 453lb per 3x3x3ft

What are you on about?

Your 20 kg sheet that is 1200 * 2400 * 25 mm has a density of 278 kg/m3.

278 kg is equal to ~613 pounds but I don't get why that matters.

So at 280kg per cubic meter you have purchased the TOUGH-LITE board as the TOUGH and the SUPREME are significantly heavier. The invoice should have a grade on it and if you think you got a lower grade then thats a different issue. I also don't understand why you are trying to convert the weight to pounds per cubic feet.

So Gazza, as it is the lighter board, you will need extra glass over the foam and a spacer tube to reduce the compression load of the motor bolts.

Guys what i was trying to convert was the metric to imperial but we go by 1m3 the americans go by 3ft square which 3ft is smaller than out 1m3 since the boards are american and imperial i tjought i would convert it accuritly

Yeah Ed i will need bigger plates on the inside of the mounting bolts to distribute the load

Sadly i didnt get a new tarp over the boat and its pissing down if water is entering the boat i may have to wait for her to dry out again, transom appears to be dry but is open so it will dry out quicker

May duck off to bunnings for a big pvc tarp

Yeah Ed i will need bigger plates on the inside of the mounting bolts to distribute the load

Sadly i didnt get a new tarp over the boat and its pissing down if water is entering the boat i may have to wait for her to dry out again, transom appears to be dry but is open so it will dry out quicker

May duck off to bunnings for a big pvc tarp

Just don't go drilling any more holes in timber to remove the water.

Guys what i was trying to convert was the metric to imperial but we go by 1m3 the americans go by 3ft square which 3ft is smaller than out 1m3 since the boards are american and imperial i tjought i would convert it accuritly

And that gets you what additional information?

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    And that gets you what additional information?
    Dig the boards are american, they are imperial measurements, they are a small size than what we weigh in metric so to be accurite in what board i have i need spot on conversions or to calculate in imperial

Otherwise i could be way off, 3x3x3 cubic is a lot less than 1m3 hence i calculated it in imperial to be exact and know what weight board i have

Dig the boards are american, they are imperial measurements, they are a small size than what we weigh in metric so to be accurite in what board i have i need spot on conversions or to calculate in imperial

Otherwise i could be way off, 3x3x3 cubic is a lot less than 1m3 hence i calculated it in imperial to be exact and know what weight board i have

I think you're over thinking all of this. I'd be interested in your final deduction, as far as I can tell thermalite Lite is 288 kg per cubic metre, your panel comes out at 278 kg which is fairly close given extrapolation of small sample. Given you've bought the Lite I agree fully with using a plate for the engine bolts but I would also consider Edberg's post of using spacer tubes as well.

Wouldn't you just read the details on your invoice to know what grade board you bought?

Still setting fires.

Matt

Invoice just says kaycel 25mm cut in half